Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there there is really no way of knowing when your Clutch Cable is going to break however, In the last 2 months Ive had two friends that lost their Clutch Cables while riding and now I notice mine has a slight squeak when I grab it.

What's the average life span of a Clutch Cable? My Cable may be the original (2006) but Im not sure as I bought this bike used.

Does anyone here have a plan for preventative maintenance or a check I can do to see If my Clutch Cable is in good condition without pulling it out?

Do you change your after a few years regardless or wait for it to break?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Have you ever oiled it? Should be part of your annual maintenance. if you haven't then I would replace it and all others to be safe and then start maintenance .

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
^^^^ What Critter said. Oiling the cable IS your preventative measure. Other than that, if it's fraying you best get another and be prepared or just change it.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Adjust the clutch adjuster, adjust the clutch cable, oil it, grease the inside of the perch slightly and the cable pin. If you don't see any frayed wires, go for a ride. They will squeek if you don't grease the housing and oil the cable.

I've changed out cables when replacing them with newer prettier ones for people, or if the adjuster or cable gets seized up from lack of lube, but if they're maintained and serviced they very seldom break.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A cable lube adapter is the easiest way to lube the cable. They aren't very expensive. Get the throttle cables while you are at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts