Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the science of reading negative comments on Internet forums .

"Cognitive researchers have observed that people's FIRST reactions to being challenged are emotional, not rational."

So someone who reads "If you don't see the benefits of using nanotechology in these products you're an IDIOT" ...

will, according to a recent study, tend to become MORE adamant about whatever position they already held.

So the trick is....ignore challenges.

When a thread starts to get heated I'll often look to see if there's some way I can inject some HUMOR into it

And when all else fails, shoot holes in their grammar, spelling or punctuation ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The combative attitude is the lifeblood of the internet site forum, it's very reason for existence. What would people do with themselves if they couldn't dazzle the world with what they believe passes for intellect?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I find that when someone wants to be argumentative and starts name calling, the best thing to do is go to their profile page and click "add this user to your ignore list" works every time, I don't have to see the posts this person puts up anymore

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
Here's the science of reading negative comments on Internet forums .

"Cognitive researchers have observed that people's FIRST reactions to being challenged are emotional, not rational."

So someone who reads "If you don't see the benefits of using nanotechology in these products you're an IDIOT" ...

will, according to a recent study, tend to become MORE adamant about whatever position they already held.

So the trick is....ignore challenges.

When a thread starts to get heated I'll often look to see if there's some way I can inject some HUMOR into it

And when all else fails, shoot holes in their grammar, spelling or punctuation ;)
Lets see how long you last in 4chan!!!

Seriously, that place could turn Mother Teresa into a screaming, rage filled, drunken sailor!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I am totally incompetent in this area. If someone insults me I fight back. I do not always understand that I am being insulted, I told you I was incompetent didn't I? Personal insults are seldom in my arsenal so I guess that makes me a bit easier to get past. I will always shoot straight when I disagree with a comment so that may or may not be considered a challenge to the poster. It never really is, it is a desire to make sure that correct information is being provided to the "new reader" who does not know the right answer.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
it's the Motorcycle world.
how big of a bruise can you get - if someone else does a "bad" on a keyboard?

we can survive this stuff, right?
it's the hard metal and the asphalt that draws real blood. :)

dT

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Developed a Thick Hide

Having ridden and owned a Sportster (loved my 48), I am completely immune to internet insults.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I like Godwin's Law, it seems to reflect reality.

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
When I look at the new Indians, they DO remind me of the motorcycles that the Nazis rode!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,549 Posts
Lets see how long you last in 4chan!!!

Seriously, that place could turn Mother Teresa into a screaming, rage filled, drunken sailor!
HEY that was a racist and uncalled for remark. To compare a SAILOR to Mother Teresa is just plain wrong.

:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts