Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 6"0ft tall and weigh aprox 330lbs. I currently ride a 2013 Honda CBR 250r and can ride at highway speeds without issue. My question is, if i upgrade to a CBR 600 will i be able to wheelie? I mean being so heaevy is it really possible without going all the way up to a liter bike? Im talking about wheelies at a range of speeds from like 20mph to say 60mph (On a track of course). Is this possible for a man of my size and a bike of that size? I understand its impossible on a 250.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Before lifting that front wheel, check out the load limit for a CBR600RR rear tire. The bike weighs 410 lbs fully fueled. Add your 330 lbs and you're putting a load of 740 lbs on that rear tire.

Be careful doing wheelies. My advise is to find a mentor who is hooligan enough to teach you how to hoist that wheel, but sane enough be mindful of your safety. Make sure you're in a safe place to practice. That front wheel can come up pretty fast. Don't get scared and chop the throttle or you could come down hard, really hard. When you come down, if the weight shifts hard to the front and the front fork is not aligned properly, you could tuck the front wheel and crash. As you progress you'll learn how to use your throttle to ride out the wheelie and gently return to earth.

Good luck.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
8,939 Posts
Be careful! Gravity is brutal on we fat people:)

Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear Tire

Welcome to the forum.

Before lifting that front wheel, check out the load limit for a CBR600RR rear tire. The bike weighs 410 lbs fully fueled. Add your 330 lbs and you're putting a load of 740 lbs on that rear tire.

Be careful doing wheelies. My advise is to find a mentor who is hooligan enough to teach you how to hoist that wheel, but sane enough be mindful of your safety. Make sure you're in a safe place to practice. That front wheel can come up pretty fast. Don't get scared and chop the throttle or you could come down hard, really hard. When you come down, if the weight shifts hard to the front and the front fork is not aligned properly, you could tuck the front wheel and crash. As you progress you'll learn how to use your throttle to ride out the wheelie and gently return to earth.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the info. I can't seem to find a max weight limit for the rear tire. I checked the Manuel and searched the page for "Load Limit" and "Weight" and couldn't find anything in regards to just the rear tire.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The tire load limit is molded on the tire itself and is shown by a number you'll have to look up on a chart. For example, if you see something like, "140/90-B16 77 H" on your tire, the "77" is the load rating. In this case 908 pounds.

The axle weight rating is usually on a sticker around the frame neck some where.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Here's the load rating for a common OEM tire for that CBR. Bridgestone Battlax BT-015-L Radial Tire - Rear - 180/55ZR17 , Load Rating: 73. This number represents the tire’s load carrying maximum capacity at maximum pressure.

Here's a link to the chart that Eye mentioned above. The chart shows a limit of 805 lbs for a load rating of 73.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/Street-Tire-Load-Ratings.pdf

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you want a cheap bike that is a wheelie monster, buy an FZ09.

It's extremely light but has gobs of torque. What makes it a monster for wheelies is where it makes that torque. It hits peak torque by 2300rpm and holds it until about 10,500rpm. The torque curve is the flattest thing I've ever seen.

I'm 230lbs and it effortlessly power wheelies in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
8,939 Posts
Sit on your little CBR300, put it in 1st gear, hold the throttle wide open and then let go of the clutch lever:crying:

I guarantee you that being a bigger guy will make no difference as you look up from the ground:surprise:

Slipping the clutch to do a wheelie is harder to learn that using the bikes power curve/ torque peak to gently raise the front wheel. Sometimes 'jerking back' on the handlebars helps too.

As you PRACTICE this make sure you have enough money in your pocket to fix the bike and yourself when you inevitably hurt yourself and your bike.:plain:

Don't do this on a public road because you could not only hurt yourself but cause an accident. Doing a wheelie is considered an exhibition of speed and or reckless behavior and carries stiff penalties if you are caught and ticketed.:crying:

Most everyone I know learned to wheelie on dirt bikes.

Would it do any good if I said be careful? Be careful:wink2:

Sam:grin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts