Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ride a 2007 cbr600rr. I have been trying to wheelie the bike for weeks now. Slowly worked my way to clutching up at almost red line and the front barely comes up. Have tried in 1st and 2nd gear. I stay on the throttle through it. Wheel seems to only come up a few inches. I have tried to do power wheelies as well. Full throttle and chopping it does not seem to work either.
My friend said the bike may have been programmed that way. The bike has lots of mods and I wasn't given the full run down when I bought it. It has a yoshimura slip on but I doubt it would have been flashed for that. The bike has pretty old tires - would that affect it in anyway? Have new tires on the way. Is there a way to check the status of the ecu? Distance from King's Lynn to Bury St Edmunds

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
It's possible that some previous owner changed the sprockets to stop wheelies or to improve fuel mileage. Or you might consider a change so you can do wheelies easier. I think it's too early to have any kind of traction control features but maybe someone more knowledgable can confirm or help further.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
Move to Baltimore.

No, seriously, get your body weight to the rear of the bike. Slide your butt all the way to the back, lean the chest and head back also. Roll the power on 2nd gear, and the front should lift.

It’s human nature to try and keep it from flipping. Stop leaning forward. Try to remember, all it takes is a touch of the rear brake to bring the front back down.

Realize my friend, it comes back over all the way and you do flip it, the bike will get heavily damaged.
Not to mention your ass.

Too bad you can’t find a cheap dirt bike to practice on. Dirt much softer when u wreck, bike lighter to lift front.

Don’t forget to have someone shooting video..........

·
Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 GL1500C, 98 VFR800, 05 VTX1800
381 Posts
Don’t forget to have someone shooting video..........
this is obviously necessary when anyone is trying to wheelie

in 1st or 2nd gear, tap the rear brake then pin the throttle. that'll help the bike rock front to back a bit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have you ever done a wheelie before? Say on a dirt bike? I would not want to learn wheelies on a hunched over sport bike with clip on handlebars, it really encourages putting your weight forward. I could hang a wheelie for a half mile on my dirt bike, but the first time on tried it on my 05 ninja 636 which is very popular in the stunt bike world, I was very humbled it's not so easy. I would think that bike would have enough power to get the front wheel off the ground regardless of tune. The only way the tires could be an issue is if they are losing traction and spinning under heavy throttle. Im guessing like said above you are putting too much of your body weight over the front wheel. Word of warning putting too little body weight over the front wheel could cause you to flip your bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure... could be technique or mechanical issue also. When I was learning I quickly burnt my clutch so the clutch started slipping which made it virtually impossible to wheelie and then there was no point in even trying as the clutch would not grab properly - slipping (was on a smaller bike though).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Back in the day I had a Ninja 750r. It was tough to get the front wheel off of the ground (compared to other bikes like the GSXR 750) but once you figured out the right combination of throttle and clutch it became second nature. I never could get it out of 1st and into 2nd and keep the front wheel up though. Like others have said though, if you go down its going to cost you both physically and financially!

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
Wheelies aren't for me, but your welcome to my share once you figure it out. Search Youtube. There a re several videos on how to.

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
I even saw a guy pop a wheelie on a 88 BMW k100. Only saw him do go up a hill so he a little gravity working for him. Maybe the OP could look at that as a way to help get it up. Oh, that almost sounded nasty. :D :D :D

·
On The Road Again!
4,202 Posts
A wheelie? Why? It's really hard on the equipment, and you aren't impressing anyone.
At the place we have Bike Night, there was some guy running up and down the road
out front doing wheelie after wheelie.
He was the talk of the place that night alright.
Just about EVERYONE was saying, "What an a$$hole. That is what gives bikers a bad name."
How about, keep both wheels on the ground, ride the back roads and enjoy the scenery.

·
Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 GL1500C, 98 VFR800, 05 VTX1800
381 Posts
everyone likes to enjoy two wheels (or one) differently. no reason he can't go and do his wheelies just as there's no reason to go on his post and tell him to stop. let's let everyone do their own thing and not deride anyone for choosing to enjoy themselves in a way we disagree with, eh?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,515 Posts
I have only done a wheelie twice. Once on a CB160 five minutes after I bought it. Salesman gave me a 5 minute instruction lecture in the parking lot and I jumped on and promptly put the front wheel in the air. Later on once I sort of knew how to ride I could never get it to do it again.

The second time I jumped on a 50cc trail bike and it ran out from underneath me. I was running down the road hanging on to the handle bars while it was up in the air.

Reactions: meierjn

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
Street, I really don’t see the need.
But then again, who really needs to ride at all? We may want to, but we don’t need to. Most ride for the fun or pleasure of it

Now dirt, that’s a totally different animal. To be able to lift the front over that hole, or series of bumps, or get the weight on that back wheel that’s spinning in the mud,
at will, is a very good, and at times necessary thing.

That’s what I think anyway.

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
I'll refrain from saying what I think doing wheelies in traffic is to me. I can see doing it once or twice just to prove to yourself that you have major control over your machine. After that then I'm not impressed so much. Whoops, I let a little of what I think about it out.
Enough, I'm outta here. :D :D :D But good luck on those one or two though. (y) (y) (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts