Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im in the middle of sprucing up up a 1982 cg 125 im replacing the rims and spokes, i have bought a pair of 18 inch rims which i can get get respoked to my original hubs, my bike is 18 on the front but 17 on the rear, this is i guess so the rear gets a heavyer tyre, my question is will it be ok to have a smaller gauge tyre than was originaly intended on the rear, and is it ok to have the same tyre front and rear or should they be different in some way, hope you understand it not easy to explain, thanks ian

·
Registered
370 Posts
They should be kept in the same size ratio as the factory tires. I was in the habit of putting a larger tire on the back of the bike. It is what a lot of people did "back in the day" when my bike was built. I did it when I was restoring my bike. It always felt like the bike was falling into the turns and the back tire swinging out and catching up with the arc of the turn. This last tire change, I went up one size on front and back. It feels like it is on rails in the turns. Much more confidence inspiring and precise. If you get them out of ratio you will suffer detrimental handling characteristics. Wheel size changes are beyond my experience. My bike has cast wheels. I scored a spoke set of wheels. The back wheel is a larger diameter than the cast wheel. These came off a C model bike of the same year. Both bikes were '78 GS1000's so I'm confident if I keep the tires in the same factory ratio for those wheels between front and back that it will work the same way. The only problem will be the rear sprocket and figuring the tooth ratio for my 530 chain conversion.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
double duty...
Hey always replace the tire with the same rating as the original...
buy the best, strongest, and most durable tire you can get in the style you want, or you will be changing them again soon...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts