Motorcycle Forum banner

Wheel balancing beads, good or bad?

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Joel_The_Mole 
#1 ·
I am just now discovering wheel balancing beads. I have to say I want to keep an open mind, but I need some convincing this is a good idea. What is the theory? The beads all fall to the bottom of the tire at a stop, and then organise themselves somehow to correct any wheel offset?

Is this close to how they are supposed to work? And what would be the pros and cons of this approach?

#2 ·
What's pros and cons of static balancing. Just add can be a little difficult to install as a con and constantly rebalancing the tire as it wears as a pro.

#20 ·
If you ride in a pack you would appreciate it if the ones ahead of you were using beads instead of weights. Saw a weight stuck in a helmet and that convinced me to think about those who ride behind me and use the beads. Best and safest way to keep your tires balanced. “A” BUD RC

#3 ·
I had them in my previous M90 and my current M109R. I had them put them in when I bought new tires. They seem to work good and have never had any shake or wobble. I asked my tire installer about them and he said that a lot of people are using them but their a bit of a PITA when he is changing a tire. If he's not careful they can end up all over the place!

#7 ·
Wheel balancing beads, good or bad?

Bad.
Those things end up all over the dang shop when you unknowingly breakdown a tire with them in it.
Besides that, I just don't trust them.

S F

#9 ·
When I had a Goldwing the beads were popular amongst the Goldwing crowd on the Wing forums.

#11 ·
I had no idea a Honda GL1800 had 2 front tires. What GL1800 trike has 2 fronts? That's what is claimed here on that site. But I agree these balancers are the way to go however very few will do it since they rarely keep a bike long enough to justify the expense. I'd like to get a set for my Indian that is now a trike but have no idea which set might work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.