Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you come to a stop, what do you prefer to do?

Typically, as I approach a stop, I'll start downshifting and applying both brakes. As I scrub the last few miles per hour, I'm on the rear brake only with my right foot, and my left goes down to support. I hold the clutch at the light and stay in 1st gear with my right foot covering the rear brake. My right hand covers the front in case I suddenly have to stop NOW, but honestly, I don't like it at low speed. I feel at low speed, below say 10 mph, the rear brake alone is sufficient, whereas the front might cause me to dip and potentially drop it.

I don't remember being specifically taught this in my MSF course, I basically just found that the easiest for me to do consistently.

I've also seen some people put both feet down, or right foot down, which would mean they have to be covering the front brake. I see some putting the bike in 1st as the light turns green, which means they were in neutral.

What do you do and why? Neutral or in gear? Right, left, both? Front or rear brake? Advantages, disadvantages from one to the other?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hmmm. Trying to visualize. Downshift as the bike slows, both brakes applied. 1st gear at the stop. Clutch in at the stop and left foot down. Right foot on the brake and eyes back and forth between the intersection and the mirrors.

Except that one intersection. The one with the light that lasts forever. Then it's bike off, kickstand down, arms crossed.

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
--

Without sounding flippant, I don't always think one way or the others. Every stop is different with the traffic, the road slope, the road surface, the type of stop (complete or rolling), size of intersection, whether or not I'm turning during a red light, what bike I'm on, etc. A good rider should be able to adjust for all situations.

--

·
Registered
166 Posts
I do not use the rear brake much at all. Rear brake just gets you in trouble. May have to re-think that now that I have a motorcycle with ABS. Usually put right foot down if I need to put a foot down. Usually stay in gear unless I am certain I am not going to get run over.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
I'll down shift to 1st using rear to come to a smooth stop by the time bike is stopped i'm in neutral to save the clutch
and Left foot ready to shift if a cage come up behind me too quick, yeah I'm looking forward and I'm keeping an eye
in rear views as well and if there is a car or truck in front of me I am about 8 or 10 feet behind.

I posted a little while ago that I took the Snortster out and heading back to the house I see a guy in shorts, flip flops
on his feet, no helmet but the big thing was the front tire of that nice cruiser was about 2 feet behind the cars bumper.
I was going to tell him that that was not a good clearance but his riding gear led me to believe he would not have
cared anyway. I was at least 8 feet behind the car in front of me, heck maybe he will think about it. I can't say I never
did that, but watching MC Rider and others and reading a lot I realized I was not riding safe, that changed.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Good answers all found the easiest way to be on Your Brakes is look far enough ahead and see a stop coming don't even have to use my Brakes until almost stopped and then gently stop when needed .. I still practice panic stops now and then on lonely stretches so can ready for the Idiots out there, and FL has plenty of them ..

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
99 out of 100 stops I make are generally done by downshifting and using engine braking and the final stop made with front brake only.

Emergency braking is different by using front and rear nearly at the same time but mostly the front. Both feet always down unless on a very step hill. And I mean VERY steep.

Generally, even on a hill, I can release front brake and throttle at the same time while releasing clutch but this takes years of practice and many miles.

As others have said, practice is the key. And never ride above your skill level. Be honest to yourself if no one else in that regard.

But do try to learn to favor the front brake over the rear. There are some motorcycle dynamics that makes that valid.

Advanced rider training is advisable too.

Reactions: Silv

·
Registered
6 Posts
I usually downshift until I’m in second gear. Then apply the front brake to stop. Both feet on the ground. If it’s a quick stop I then shift into first gear and get ready to go. Long stop I’ll go into neutral and play my gas tank like set of bongos.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
If it’s a Long stop I’ll go into neutral and play my gas tank like set of bongos.
Great ! A bit of music never hurts.

I hope all the newbies remember that if you use so much rear brake that you lock it up, might as well keep it like that
because letting off it with font wheel not str8, there is a good chance of 'High-siding' or going over the bars.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
Wait until the last second, slam on the brakes and close my eyes. :)

Each stop is different, usually downshift, slow with either brake and stop with both. Bike will be in 1st before the bike stops, so either foot or both can come down.

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
I'll try the closed eyes Critter. It can get scary out here.:grin:

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
--

I was just thinking about this thread today. I rode about 370 miles which included down shifting and rolling in a low gear trying to time lights, slow speed store parking lot stop when an incomer was apparently lost, stopping while making a sharp turn approaching a gas pump, stopping behind nervous tourists coming off Independence Pass on a road in part too narrow to have a center line, stopping quickly when attractive chicks want to cross while in Aspen, panic stop for a deer crossing right in front of me on McClure Pass, slow and stop on freeway for an accident, and just regular stops at lights in towns. I honestly think I used every combination of shift, one brake, two brake, one or two feet down, wait in neutral, wait with clutch in and foot on rear brake, etc.

At no time did I kick any dogs, however. :angel:

--

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with ronK, it depends on the situation. I usually start with down shifting then brakes, usually both.
Also, GatoJoe is right, we have a lot of f_cked up drivers here in Fl., add in texting n driving. One has to be very vigilant here.
dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dragging my feet proved problematic in that my shoes kept catching on fire. Since then I have tried using just my brakes but feel somehow just a wuss doing so. Like the single speed cyclist who eschew any brakes at all because it ruins their karma with the One, it just simply is cheating. If I remove the brakes will I possibly get more attention from the female variation of the human form and be perceived as therefore more desirable for mating activities?

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
Dragging my feet proved problematic in that my shoes kept catching on fire. Since then I have tried using just my brakes but feel somehow just a wuss doing so. Like the single speed cyclist who eschew any brakes at all because it ruins their karma with the One, it just simply is cheating. If I remove the brakes will I possibly get more attention from the female variation of the human form and be perceived as therefore more desirable for mating activities?
--

Negative on the "...more attention from the female variation...". Won't happen. They won't be able to stand your smoky smelling socks. :crying:

--

·
Registered
32 Posts
Typically is a combination of downshifts and both brakes, but like a lot of the replies it's different a lot of the times. There are two things I try to do every time though.

1. Even if it's mostly downshifts to slow I use enough brake to make sure the brake light comes on so folks behind me can see it. I even do this if I'm alone just to make sure it stays a habit.

2. When coming to a complete stop I want my left foot to go down first so I can keep the rear brake covered.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Welp, there are many ways to stop, most successful for me is even (technically it is not even, but for conversation will go with that) application of front and rear. I had a bike one with linked brakes and I did not like it but they worked well enough but was a PITA to service, however it still required you to input from the appropriate brake lever to make them work fully and as expected.

I was very used to sport bikes did not realize how far forward I would land my feet when stopping. On my gold wing I am always bumping my legs into the engine and stumbling with the bike at a stop due to this. However on my Goldwing I start to apply brakes with the rear and join the front shortly after and end with only the front and both legs down on the ground holding the bike. Too often I run into oil slicks or small sand or gravel making my footing unstable so like to have them both down when almost to a stop. I am able to roll my throttle while holding the brake with one hand too, really don't need to do it though although on my sport bikes it was fun to be a tard and burn a few thousand miles off a good rear in a few seconds using that technique. Ah the memories.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts