Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets see who has the cheapest insurance rate. yearly or monthly and what other companies did you shop with

Rate(year or month), age, sex, state/area, ride(s), company, coverage
and anything else you think pertains to your rate

example myself

127 bucks (year), 23, M, South NJ, (1 bike) 2014 Honda cbr500r, Rider insurance, State minimum coverage,
I have msf discount and good student discount. comes with complimentary towing 35 miles and this is a motorcycle only insurance. I choose the cheapest instead of all of the features because it's a commuter bike, bought for cheap 2500, and have good health insurance so don't really see a need to get such a fancy insurance.

I shopped over 12 insurances Geico, Progressive were cheapish, esurance, Plymouth rock, dairyland, were in the middle, All state, markel, most expensive, all of these were state minimum coverage. and not all of them provided complimentary towing.
quotes ranging from 250 yearly geico to over 3k yearly markel. with rider coming in significantly cheaper and even getting full coverage with them was better than getting state minimum with another company.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
LOL, I switched from Rider to Gieco, 2 1300 cc bikes full coverage, more than state minimum. Gieco was $100 cheaper at 250

·
So long
2,739 Posts
...I choose the cheapest instead of all of the features because it's a commuter bike, bought for cheap 2500, and have good health insurance so don't really see a need to get such a fancy insurance...
Additional medical or liability coverage is protection for others that you may injure with your motorcycle. Cheap protection if you are at fault.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,499 Posts
6.00 a month or 75.00 per year. I pay and shop anually. Progressive is my current thief.

45 year old CDL driver 30+ years with endorsements.

No fancy insurance or classical coverage just regular use. Zero tickets, zero accidents or incidents.

Reactions: InsuranceMan

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
First, where you live and keep your bike, along with your age and driving record will have the biggest impact on your insurance rate, along with, of course, the specific bike you ride. Compare the rates for a sport bike versus a cruiser and you will be shocked at the difference.

Buying the cheapest insurance you can find might make sense if you are SURE that you will never need to file a claim. I have heard horror stories of people using unfamiliar brand insurance companies that when a claim is made under the Collision coverage for a totaled bike either get the claim totally rejected (the company claims that the rider did something illegal or otherwise made their coverage invalid) or are offered far, far below the real value of the bike. And a flaky insurance policy really can be a life changing problem if you are sued for injuring another person or damaging their property and your insurance company is only concerned with finding a way to avoid covering you. Not much fun as an individual trying to sue your own insurance company.

Personally, I would only use reputable (in my opinion) insurance companies. I have had good luck with actual claims with both Progressive and with Dairyland. Years ago a vehicle knocked over my bike and left the scene, doing a fair amount of damage. Dairyland covered the full repairs with OEM parts from a dealer, no questions asked. About 15 years ago my one and only motorcycle accident totaled my bike. Progressive actually paid me quite a bit more than "book value" on the bike and I was pleasantly surprised when they made their settlement offer to me.

Right now I have full coverage with Progressive for my 2016 Goldwing ABS and pay $326 for a year's coverage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should have put this in your long spam post so that you don't waste the time of 90% of the members here.
You should really get your attitude checked and not comment when you are being rude. For your Information Insurance rates and knowing what other peoples premiums are and their coverage can be very helpful to those who are new to motorcycling. I for one was quotes over 2-3k a year thru multiple companies that are nationwide if i didn't look up quotes from other people i would have wasted my money. So please stop wasting other peoples time and don't comment our negativity. when 99.9% of motorcyclist will find this topic useful.

Additional medical or liability coverage is protection for others that you may injure with your motorcycle. Cheap protection if you are at fault.
That statement is true however cheap cost for cheap protection it's inferred that i'll be screwed if anything serious happens. If I am at fault a motorcycle will not do much damage other than to the person riding. most damage to another vehicle or property 90% of the time can be covered under my state minimum. I have rarely seen a pedestrian get hurt during a motorcycle accident. As I also purely drive highway it's a non issue for medical cost to pay for someone I would injure unless Somehow my motorcycle magically injures a cager.

First, where you live and keep your bike, along with your age and driving record will have the biggest impact on your insurance rate, along with, of course, the specific bike you ride. Compare the rates for a sport bike versus a cruiser and you will be shocked at the difference.

Buying the cheapest insurance you can find might make sense if you are SURE that you will never need to file a claim. I have heard horror stories of people using unfamiliar brand insurance companies that when a claim is made under the Collision coverage for a totaled bike either get the claim totally rejected (the company claims that the rider did something illegal or otherwise made their coverage invalid) or are offered far, far below the real value of the bike. And a flaky insurance policy really can be a life changing problem if you are sued for injuring another person or damaging their property and your insurance company is only concerned with finding a way to avoid covering you. Not much fun as an individual trying to sue your own insurance company.

Personally, I would only use reputable (in my opinion) insurance companies. I have had good luck with actual claims with both Progressive and with Dairyland. Years ago a vehicle knocked over my bike and left the scene, doing a fair amount of damage. Dairyland covered the full repairs with OEM parts from a dealer, no questions asked. About 15 years ago my one and only motorcycle accident totaled my bike. Progressive actually paid me quite a bit more than "book value" on the bike and I was pleasantly surprised when they made their settlement offer to me.

Right now I have full coverage with Progressive for my 2016 Goldwing ABS and pay $326 for a year's coverage.
You are correct. Hence Why I asked people not only to include their insurance rate but also other factors that I have also given to determine weather the insurance rate was good or not. For someone in my area looking for my insurance that stumbles upon this post might see he has a good rate and end up saving money due to it. talking about all of these other issues about why it's different for everyone is another point entirely as I was asking what is your rate and factors you think make your rate the way it is. which is what you so graciously provided at the end. Thank you for explaining though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, I switched from Rider to Gieco, 2 1300 cc bikes full coverage, more than state minimum. Gieco was $100 cheaper at 250
Thank you for your reply! that's a pretty good rate

6.00 a month or 75.00 per year. I pay and shop anually. Progressive is my current thief.

45 year old CDL driver 30+ years with endorsements.

No fancy insurance or classical coverage just regular use. Zero tickets, zero accidents or incidents.
That is a really good rate is that only for one motorcycle? That's basically the price i saw progressive advertise when i was looking at them. "Get motorcycle insurance for as little at 70 a year" even though my quote from them ended up being nearly 400 for the year.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
InsuranceMan, are you a representative for Rider insurance, or in any way affiliated with them? That is what your post here suggests. Which is why I called it spam. If you are not a rep for the insurance industry, and your name is just coincidental, please accept my apology for my unchecked attitude.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,499 Posts
Thank you for your reply! that's a pretty good rate

That is a really good rate is that only for one motorcycle? That's basically the price i saw progressive advertise when i was looking at them. "Get motorcycle insurance for as little at 70 a year" even though my quote from them ended up being nearly 400 for the year.
Yeah just the gl1000 and it it the lowest chargeable by them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts