Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've just bought my first bike and am looking for opinions on a super helmet to protect my noggin. Obviously everyone's head geometry is different, so I'll be trying on in stores, but I wondered if you could share your favorite helmet of the full-face, flip-up style? I'm not looking to skimp on protective gear, so all price ranges are a go.

Many thanks!

Also: recommendations of your favorite NYC motorcycle shop/dealership gratefully accepted!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
A helmet that fits me well may not fit you well. I have a Scorpion EXO 500, it has a built in dark visor. $230. I'd suggest you try several brands before picking one out, though.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Actually, I ride with a fixed full face Bell star carbon fiber.

My face shield is photochromic. It's clear for my ride in before sunrise, and tinted on my ride home.

To answer your question; the advantage is not having to wear sunglasses under your helmet. It's uncomfortable. The disadvantage is if conditions or lighting changes. Riding in low light SUCKS with a tinted shield.

·
2,828 Posts
I like my Schuberth C3 Helmet. BUT, they are pricey. I picked mine up on sale for $550. I have a big head and it was the first modular helmet I found in 3x that fit. It also has a retractable sun visor. You can get a G4 Blue*tooth communication system for an extra 400 clams. I passed on that.

·
10,756 Posts
I have an older HJC that although it fit well, was very noisy at speed. My son just bought a new HJC flip up and he really likes it alot and says that it has none of the wind noise that mine had.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool :D Thanks for the rec. Definitely considering HJC, seems a reasonably priced but well-liked/respected brand. I know a lot of people have Shoei, they love them but $$$ for the new rider who might not know what they want before trying a while, and I have seen some really attractively priced and well-liked Scorpions as well. Appreciate all the advice I'm getting here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife and I use HJC IS-bt-max. It has an inner sun sheild and we have dark outter visors but also carry the original clear visors on our saddlebags for night riding. Decent helmet, ready for blue-tooth coms, and modular. :)

C&E

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the rec Cyklopz. All those options sound sweet. I'm originally from KY btw, born in Louisville, lived near Hunting Creek for the first 6 years of my life :eek:) My aunt lives in Lexington and we made it to Keenland quite a few times, thrilling for the out-of-towner and the kid I was at the time :D

·
Lead, follow or get out of the way. Life Is Good!
788 Posts
just got newest light weight HJC Modular to replace the crappy first one i bought. i like this one real well. lock em up as they will be stolen.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the Blit Solar Modular, internal flip down shade, external full visor. They have them on sale for $99 from $199 at Cycle Gear. Its a comfortable helmet, vents good, modular mechanism easy to use, overall no complaints.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use a Scorpion EXO 900. Fits me very well and has a clear faceshield but also a dark visor that drops down internally with slider on the back left side of the helmet you can easily operate while riding. kinda like those dark drop down visors in fighter pilot helmets.

As shown here you can also take the modular part off and it comes with a plastic visor to convert to a three quarter helmet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I ended up going with the most comfortable helmet I tried on in the store, which was the HJC IS-Max BT Modular Helmet. I bought online as the markup was significant.

My second choice would have been the similar Shoei model. I liked that it had padding at the chin, but I couldn't justify the price bump for what felt basically the same to me. I also tried at least one other brand that they had in this style, but it did not fit me well and I had never heard of and can't recall the brand, so I passed.

Appreciate your advice. I am going to be looking into the photochromic face shield (though the two shades I have seem to cover me for the short term).

I was also wondering about anti-fog. I have stuff I use for snorkeling (JAWS Quick Spit), and saw at least one person uses it for his helmet, but I also heard something about a "Pinlock insert". Can anyone comment on this aspect? I noticed fogging on all the helmets I tried on in-store, even when I opened the chin vent...how do you combat that without opening the face shield?

Thanks all :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
When you are riding, the helmet will vent enough to keep from fogging. At stop lights, sometimes you won't have a choice but open up the visor just a bit if the lights are long. Personally I just don't like all the anti-fogging stuff.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
When you are riding, the helmet will vent enough to keep from fogging. At stop lights, sometimes you won't have a choice but open up the visor just a bit if the lights are long. Personally I just don't like all the anti-fogging stuff.
Just curious, JR, why do you not like the anti fogging stuff? Seems to me it only helps and does no harm.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
My "favorite" helmet ... if I could ride with it all the time ... might be the 3/4 Fulmer helmet that I bought 2-3 years ago. It's comfortable, and the vision out of that helmet is outstanding. Fulmer did the profile of the visor on that helmet to give really excellent peripheral vision - which I like a LOT.

Unfortunately, I can't dispute the fact that a 3/4 helmet doesn't provide the protection around the jaw line and the mouth - which can be very important in an accident. As a result, I nearly always ride with my full-face Shoei helmet ... esp. in the city. It's a pretty nice helmet. I just wish it would give the visibility that the Fulmer does :)

cheers,
dT

·
Registered
461 Posts
DT, I am the same, my 3/4 Nolan is soooo comfortable and awesome visibility, but I know its not the safest.

Ralph, my sunglasses are prescription and polarized, somehow it picks up the sheen (best description I can think of) from the anti-fog spray on.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
JRW
I have the same issue with my polorized prescription sunglasses and the anti fog spray.

Have you ever pulled up to a gas pump and the screen was just black and wouldn't work & you had to change pumps just to find that one was also black and would not show any instructions/info? We did this in Michigan last year-hubby & I neither one could see anything on the screen. The attendant told us over the loud speaker not to leave but to lift our sunglasses and we would be able to see the writing on the screen.....worked. I used my debit card to pay there and then went inside to get a drink & use the facilities and the young lady said that a lot of people had the same problem with their pumps and it was due to polorized sunglasses. She said people with non polorized sunglasses had no problems. This has happened to us 6 or 7 other times at different gas stations.

Also, I love my Fulmer 3/4 helmet. That is my winter helmet. I don't like the full face as I haven't found one that my glasses worked under...either can't get my glasses on or they move with the helmet if I move it. I want to try a Modular one with the flip down sunshield under the face shield...I think it is made by Scorpion but I haven't found one yet to try on and I won't buy one until I do. That's another winter search/project.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts