Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ace Tuner
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm tempted to say my 72'(?) Kawasaki H2 750 triple was the worst.
But it was my fault when I looped it @ 90 mph trying to ride a 4th gear wheel stand. I learned the value of leather that day.
That bike was really pretty good in spite of evil handling and crazy vibration because it had lots of reliable power.
So......

My worst has to be the original Kawasaki 600 Ninja (1985 year model I believe).
When they first came out we all ran out and bought em to roadrace, mine never made it to the track.
The field was full of them at the start of the season, not so much by the end.
Talk about a micky-mouse cam and rocker arm assembly, it had it. Those parts were bad by the 500 mile first service.
After a couple of warranty's, I moved that thing out.
In the years to follow, I learned they also burned up their valves. Haven't seen any of those bikes on the road in a few decades.

That's the worst bike I ever had, what was yours?

Doesn't have to be a bad design, just one you consider to be your worst bike for whatever reason.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
I never had one. Had a bike that gave me problems but I liked the heck out of it. Right up to the time I traded in for a different bike. But I'd never ever say it was my worst. Is there such a thing.:confused:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The worst bike I ever owned was a DMP Trail Champ, cira early 70's. It was my first mini/motorbike and it addicted me to motorcycling! :mad:

·
Registered
155 Posts
The first bike that jumps out is the 1973 water buffalo.
Was a 750 cc water cooled 3 cyl 2 stroke. I bought it non running.
I put so many man hours in that thing, with little satisfaction. think it had 3 sets of points, 3 carbs and I knew little about 2 strokes.
I would get it running so so and tinker with it and totally mess it up again.
Thing was a beast, all black and chrome. It had some unique features and a fun bike when it ran, that was not often enough.
Pretty sure I gave the *%^)#$%#[email protected]@ thing away and was better off for it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The worst bike I ever had was a 1972 Honda SL125 that I bought used in 1976. It was underpowered and burned oil, but it was still fun to ride in the dirt (since I weighed about 155 lbs soaking wet at the time).

The only other bike I ever had problems with was a 1978 Honda 400 Hawk that started burning oil at only around 6,000 miles even though I hadn't been riding it too hard and had been doing all the routine maintenance...?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
One of my old CB450s, maybe the 1970. I think the odometer must have rolled over on that one, because everything was wrong with it..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have to say a 1990 HD Springer that I purchased new. That bike had more problems and recalls than any mechanical device I ever owned. It was a nice bike to ride, when it wasn't in the shop. I sold it the next year.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
That's interesting about the Springer. The only bike I've had ANY problems with was a 85 Electra Glide. I had to put a new drive belt on every 18,000 miles. It also liked eating stators. About every 10,000 miles on them. Other than that it was great.

Some how, and I don't know how, it never left me stranded. But I sure limped to the nearest dealer several times.:D It had 66,400+ miles when I took a check from the dealer that sold it.

It had a welded axle to the frame from a brand new wheel bearing they had just installed started throwing sparks 15 miles away. I went right back, parked out front and when they went to move it, it wouldn't. That axle and frame in that area was still hot but it was welded tight. I left the area 3 years later and it was still in their back room untouched.

I heard they went out of business when the old man that owned the place died. Or shortly after. His son ran it right into the ground from what I heard. Salinas Harley is no more. Now there is one in Hollister which is where I lived.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
My very first no name minibike I bought from the local hardware store. I was ten.
I snapped the chain and needed to replace the clutch twice a year. The brakes were scary. The kill button was a wire that you touched onto the top of the spark plug, guaranteed to give you a jolt. Every few weeks another weld would break, so the local Honda shop where I took it to get welded finally just taught me how to weld it myself. I was at the Honda shop so often, the owner offered to sell me a Honda 70 at a discounted price and a summer job so I could pay for it. From then on it was smooth sailing. :D

·
8,572 Posts
This one, a new 1966 Yamaha YL2C that I bought to get around Edwards AFB in the Mojave, in California.

The only oil available for the auto-lube was automotive oil, on the Base. The car stuff would quickly burn into the ring lands, and cause a seizure, requiring at least new rings and sometimes a new piston. I always did the labor but on my meager paycheck, a piston and rings could be expensive.

Sam:)

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Never had a "worst" bike...

My 1970 Suzuki T500III Titan kept my wrenches busy....

Wish I still had that one. DAMN do I wish I still had that one..... grew up on it, and Grap gave it to me when I was 15.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Easy.

My 1979 CB750. Felt top heavy after starting out on a CB100 and then learning to thrash a CB360.

Then one day I went in to a corner a little fast and really had to lean it over more than I wanted. Now it is my favorite bike because I finally learned to ride it like it was meant to be. I call it the Tractor, because it is geared like one, hauls about anything on the back. Oh, and with the ugly Vetter fairing, it can be ridden comfortably to 20 degrees F for 50 miles at a time, or to maybe zero if entered in the FNC.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
As much as I loved the performance at the time, I got really tired of honing the center cylinder and putting oversize rings into my Kawasaki H-1. After 3 rebuilds in 1500 miles it got sold.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
2008 Kawasaki 1600. The bike is gutless, heavy, and vibrates like a 4 cylinder running on 2. Rotten mileage and a POS slipper clutch. Will not ever buy another Kawasaki because of it. Had it for 8 months, did my best to make friends with it in the 30,000 miles I put on it, but there was no love whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
H1

As much as I loved the performance at the time, I got really tired of honing the center cylinder and putting oversize rings into my Kawasaki H-1. After 3 rebuilds in 1500 miles it got sold.
I traded my 68 350 Kawasaki on a 69 500 Kawasaki. Should have kept the 350, it was a much better bike. But the 500 was the fastest thing in a straight line.
I crashed mine at the track. Seems it did not like corners, similar to the 71 Norton. I said never again: Would I ride a bike that did not go where I pointed it, and buy British.
I put a few miles on a 750 Kawasaki as I was selling them at the time. But not for long.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
562 Posts
my 1980 Kawasaki kz750 ltd. it's not that I didn't like it- it was just in bad condition. I rode that thing everywhere in any weather. if I could find another I would get one...especially if it weren't an ltd.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts