Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK! somebody that knows something tell me whats happening.
I washed my bike at a coin operated car wash this morning and when I was wiping it off I realized that there is a very thin layer of clear material blown off my windshield in spots by the pressure wand. It could be a protective layer that should have been pealed off before installing but it's so thin I don't think so. I'm going to go back and blast the hell outa it and see if the rest will come off without ruining the surface underneath. I could end up with a scratch free surface, or more likely needing a new windshield.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I'm not sure what that is. It might be an outer lamination or a layer of UV protection.

It pays to be very careful when using a pressure washer on a bike. Water can get forced into electrical connections and remove the grease from inside bearings using one. Personally, I just use a garden hose.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what that is. It might be an outer lamination or a layer of UV protection.

It pays to be very careful when using a pressure washer on a bike. Water can get forced into electrical connections and remove the grease from inside bearings using one. Personally, I just use a garden hose.
The strange part is I wasn't blasting it hard and was being careful and mostly just cleaning fresh mud off the tires and inside the fenders. The windshield is twenty years old and probably showing its age.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I found a little bit of info. They say that some shields are hard coated polycarbonate. The acid in bugs will attack the coating if left on too long. Scraping off a dried bug that's been on a long time is almost guaranteed to lift the coating. Looks like peeling skin after a sun burn.

The other info said that the shields are coated with the same stuff they use on car headlights. Sometimes the coating comes off due to dried bugs or chips.

I don't know if that's the prob or not...

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Has anyone here had any luck with Meguirs or other products to restore a swirled windscreen?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a little bit of info. They say that some shields are hard coated polycarbonate. The acid in bugs will attack the coating if left on too long. Scraping off a dried bug that's been on a long time is almost guaranteed to lift the coating. Looks like peeling skin after a sun burn.

The other info said that the shields are coated with the same stuff they use on car headlights. Sometimes the coating comes off due to dried bugs or chips.

I don't know if that's the prob or not...
I'm thinking this is it. I have waxed it in the past and have used Pledge on it, maybe I used something that ruined it or maybe its just old.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
Has anyone here had any luck with Meguirs or other products to restore a swirled windscreen?
Not used that one but have Turtle Wax Ice. That stuff works. It won't get rid of all the swirls but it sure clears up a hazy shield.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Coating

When I buy a piece of Lexan, it comes with a thin clear cover on one side, and a more visible cover on the other.
Perhaps your window does have a clear cover. But, none of the ones I have purchased have a clear cover.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
It doesn't take much to scratch and ruin a good windscreen. I cringe when I see a rider at a gas station rubbing the bugs off with a rough paper towel. I find that the easiest way to keep a windscreen clear and free of scratches is to clean it gently with plain water after every ride. I use a soft cloth that is literally dripping wet and I gently wash the bugs and grime off of the screen, then dry it with another soft cloth (I prefer using soft microfiber cloths). About every other or every third time I put both cloths into the washer and use fresh, clean ones. Doing it all before the bug goo dries to a hard finish on the windscreen makes it much easier to get that gunk off without scratching the screen.

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
A trick I learned from Capt. Crash for when the bug have dried is to lay a soft wet cloth over the windscreen and let it sit there for a half hour or so. The take the cloth and wipe and all that softened bug goo comes off easily.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm gonna revive this thread to answer my original question, and how easy it was to get the film off my windshield. I did an internet search ad found out that some manufactures spray on a protective film on their windshields. This is not the peal off stuff you see on lexan sheets, this is supposed to be harder than lexan and keep it from scratching as easy. being I had several areas that the film was coming off I took it back to the pressure car wash that caused the problem in the first place and gave it a good blasting. The stuff came right off and left me with a perfectly clear windshield. So! if you have a scratched windshield you might try pressure wash and see if its just the protective coating that's scratched. Of course it could possibly screw up your windshield and in that case the word might is my disclamer
:71baldboy::p

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Glad you ended up saving your windshield but with that protective coating gone, you'll probably have to be more careful about scratches.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The windshield is 20 years old and stored in a dark garage, so the lexan is clear but I think the coating had deteriorated, and wasn't protecting no mo anyhow. and its far better than looking through the jagged tear lines that are visible but only when driving into the sun. Some really thin stuff about .005 or less thick. I could see it being blasted off so I didn't miss any. I think with care it will last a long time.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Window

I was in the plastic shop today. Ordered a piece of 1/2 inch for the boat hatch.
They have 1/16 and 1/8 polycarbonate ( lexan ).
I used a piece of the 1/16 for a new window for the Suzuki sport bike.
The 1/8 will work for the big Yamaha, but will require 2 or 3 metal strips to make the lexan maintain a bend.
Will build a new window later on.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
I was in the plastic shop today. Ordered a piece of 1/2 inch for the boat hatch.
They have 1/16 and 1/8 polycarbonate ( lexan ).
I used a piece of the 1/16 for a new window for the Suzuki sport bike.
The 1/8 will work for the big Yamaha, but will require 2 or 3 metal strips to make the lexan maintain a bend.
Will build a new window later on.

Unkle Crusty*
You should be able to carefully heat that and get a bend pretty easily that will stay put once cool. We used to do that in the sculpture studio at USF.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Heat

LWR. How did you heat it?
I could support the middle and put weights on the outer edges, then heat the middle, center line, with a propane torch. Does that sound like a plan?

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used to own half of a small boat company and we bent what I think was plexiglass sheet for a windshield. It was a long time ago and the only thing I really remember is too much heat and it blisters, I think a torch is too hot. Put it in the oven maybe?

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
LWR. How did you heat it?
I could support the middle and put weights on the outer edges, then heat the middle, center line, with a propane torch. Does that sound like a plan?

Unkle Crusty*
No, don't use a torch. We used heat guns. Just take your time and heat it where you want the bend. If you want a nice even curve you could place a rounded piece of wood underneath and heat the middle letting the edges drop down as the center is heated. As I recall it did not take much pressure.

Good luck!

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts