Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the title. whats your favorite 2 stroke motorcycles. obviously the rd350 is my favorite model. i tried looking online a little before about 2 stroke motorcycles but theres a lot of cloudly bullshit and it makes it real ****in hard. and the epa doesnt like 2 strokes. if anyone has a index of 2 stroke motorcycles or can give me a little info about other 2 stroke bikes thatd be fine. like i said above i like the rd350. small. quick. fast. any others that are kinda like that? sorry hells angels. i dont like the big heavy modern harleys. i would have thought harley would have made a 2 stroke bike but i sure as hell could be wrong on that. always like 4 wheelers. looking in to bikes now.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
CanAm250. Yamaha TD2B and the newer TZ, both road race bikes. The 500 Suzuki RR bike was also good. The 400 Kawasaki dirt bike was a brute. My old 68 A7 350 Kawasaki was also a sweet bike, was nicer to ride than the RD350.
The Suzuki 250 street bike was also a good bike. UK

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a Little Kawasaki 2 stroke. Cloud of blue smoke every where I went. Expecialy Heading of to school a cold winter morning.
I wanted a RD 250LC but couldn't afford it. Or even better the RD 350LC.

·
On The Road Again!
3,152 Posts
I hate two stroke engines. Never owned a bike with one, but have had several chain saws
and things with two strokes. Nothing but trouble.
My brother had a series of two strokes and I hated following behind him breathing
that damned blue smoke.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a little Kawasaki KV 75 when I was growing up that had oil injection. It was bulletproof! The Suzuki Gamma RG 500 was amazing. I never had one but a couple of guys I new did. THos things would BLOW larger bikes off the road.

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
565 Posts
Mine was my 06 CR125R. Sounded like a speed demon, but wasn't really, so light and nimble I could make that bike do anything I wanted.

My old 04 CR250R was fun and fast, but didn't handle as well. My older KTM 300 was a vibrating machine!

Kinda wish I'd kept the 125, but I don't have any 2 strokes anymore, I like the electric start on my 250x too much to kick another dirtbike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I haven't owned a 2 stroke bike since the 70's. But I liked all but one when I owned them. I owned at least 10 or 12 from late 60's through the 70's but one is my favorite purely for nostalgic reasons. I owned a lot faster 2 strokes and a lot slower but my Kawasaki 100 G5 is my favorite because;

It was my first brand new bike purchased off the showroom floor at Eastpoint Kawasaki in Baltimore.
It was my first bike with a 3 digit CC number, even though I think they were actually 95cc.

After a year I ended up stripping the lights off, painting it Kawasaki Racing Green, that racing green hadn't been out that long, putting on a 62 tooth rear sprocket and racing it. That bike was classified as a Moto/Enduro, it didn't do either very well. Definitely not Moto without modifications. Not unless you enjoyed finishing dead last in every Moto. Regardless of how it was Classified, it was just an Enduro, and a slow one. i have been thinking of buying another one just for nostalgic reasons, I have seen some excellent condition examples that have sold for six and seven hundred bucks.

The one I hated was the 70 Casal. Not the Moped, Casal Motorcycles. Pure junk. Sold by the Can-Am dealer right down from Eastpoint Kawasaki, used to be on the corner of Dundalk Avenue and Eastern Blvd. (Mention that because I see some of the members are from the same area I am and probably remember Eastpoint Kawasaki, the Can-Am/Casal dealer and Boutwells).

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Jawa 350 Kývačka was a nice looking machine with a good reputation:

But even better was their 500 OHC, which was a four stroke machine:

Jawa still makes two strokes in Czechoslovakia, and I understand that their 250 can meet current USA EPA standards and you might even be able to find one or two US distributors selling them new.

But, I'd much rather own the licensed Jawa copy being produced by Mahindra in India, which again, is a four stroke:

Two strokes make me nauseous for purely physical reasons, they stink! In this time of climate controversy, declining petroleum resources and inexpensive engines, it seems hard to rationalize their continued production.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i would have thought harley would have made a 2 stroke bike but i sure as hell could be wrong on that.
Harley built their 2 Stroke, the little "Hummer", as it was called, from 1955 to 1959, and they built it in the USA.

If you can get your hands on one of these little machines in nice shape nowadays, they are pound for pound, one of the most valuable collector Harleys.

·
Nightfly
4,133 Posts
At he Hershey Antique Automobile Museum they had a number of rare Harley's on the 3rd floor. Not sure if they are still there, they were pretty cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate two stroke engines. Never owned a bike with one, but have had several chain saws
and things with two strokes. Nothing but trouble.
My brother had a series of two strokes and I hated following behind him breathing
that damned blue smoke.
Ive always been interested in them. The little ****in buggies on the race tracks. Banshees. Rotrary engines. Anything wankel.

·
7,253 Posts
I've owned and raced many. many 2 stroke bikes, since 1961 and love them!

My last one was a brand new 1978 Yamaha RD400 that I bought to ride an 80 mile round trip to and from work, on the 'Race tracks,' that are called Interstates in Southern California.

Although I raced a Bultaco 250 Pursang, CZ 250, Yamaha YDS-1 250, a 100cc rotary valve Yamaha short track bike and even a Hodaka 125cc Enduro bike, a new 1971 Kawasaki 175cc enduro, my favorite fun little racer was a new American Eagle 125cc Zundap powered motocross/ desert bike, with the factory 23 inch front wheel, that was a superb race bike. I had a new Kawasaki KT250 Trials bike that was a 2 stroke also. Also had a new 1966 Yamaha 100cc Enduro bike that I rode as my base transportation until I could afford my next one a new 1970 Yamaha RD200.

I love the smell of 2 stroke oil, especially 'Castor oil' based racing blends!

Jack Morgan ruled open class racing in the deserts of California in the 60's and 70's, on a 100cc Hodaka that would just shred the big bikes: Wide open does it all the time!

Sam:

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,140 Posts
I had a Yamaha DT125 and by the time it was done for it had a DT175 jug on it bored over 3 times. I had to replace the reeds on it at least three times and the last time it was some kind of carbon fiber stuff they was the last ones I put in there. But I like it OK it was fun when I was younger. Now I would not like it at all.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Like someone else already said, I haven't had a 2 stroke since the 70's. A friend of mine bought a new Suzuki 380GT(?, 360GT?) when they first came out. It was a 3 cylinder engine and it was a good looking bike, but the smoking really bothered him.
He kept taking it back to the dealer to "fix" the smoking problem. Well they fixed it, the engine seized up. It didn't smoke anymore. Several of my other riding buddies at the time kept telling him if its not fouling plugs, don't worry about a little smoke.
It was a pretty bike but I don't recall how fast it was.

·
Ace Tuner
2,313 Posts
He kept taking it back to the dealer to "fix" the smoking problem
Haha ^ That's funny.

Way back when 2 strokes ruled the dirt a customer brought his new Enduro bike in claiming it kept fouling spark plugs.
After I leaned the slow speed fuel mixture as much as I could I tried to tell him you gotta run it, not idle it around all the time.
I don't think he understood. Two strokers like lots of throttle, along with RPM.

Ahh.... I love the smell of racing castor in the morning.
S F

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used to lust for the 70's Kawasaki 750 triple when I was a kid. The sound they made was badass and unique.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts