Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Honda CB500F that has 15,250 miles on it. My dealer says bikes like mine don't last very long because they have small engines (471 cc) and get the snot revved out of them and that just wears them out over time compared to something like a Honda Gold Wing or other large bike. I've had all the required service done on the bike by my dealer and plan to keep taking it to them in the future but was just curious if smaller cc bikes just simply don't hold up over time.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
While there may be some truth to what he is saying, I believe the reason why we see bigger bikes with high miles is because few people take small bikes on long trips...and the guys that take long trips love it so much they end up doing a bunch of them. I occasionally see small bikes for sale with 40k or 50k miles on them. I recently saw a Ninja 250 with like 55k on it, still running great, according to the seller.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got a 2018 Honda CB500x that I bought new. I have taken good care of it, and have 34000 miles on it without serious issue.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,373 Posts
That dealership is full of ****...and 15k on a motorcycle is nothing. Of course, it's all about how it was taken care of. Anything not treated well, serviced on time etc. will be an issue...in fact, a vehicle with super low miles for it's age is usually more problematic than something that has been used and serviced regularly.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,157 Posts
Einstein says the dealer is wrong. And he has been proven correct about his theory on moving mass.
Revs are not the issue. Changing the speed of mass is the issue, and the bigger bikes have more mass in the rods and pistons. Honda and others wisely use four and six cylinder engines. That lowers the mass of the moving parts because they are smaller. If your 500 is a twin, then the pistons and rods would be about the same size as a 1000 cc four.
Every time a piston reaches TDC it must change direction. The less weight the easier that is, and the less stress on the piston, rods, crank, little and big end.
Longer stroke, which gives more torque, also creates more piston speed, which in turn creates more stress when the piston changes direction.
Your dealer may not have ever been to mechanics school, and may not have ever studied engine design theory. They may not have ever raced a bike. That is usually the case. I do not fit that description. UK

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
363 Posts
It's all about the maintenance, an engines a damn engine unless you got yourself a lemon. A well maintained motorcycle can go well past 100k miles, a perfectly maintained one can go for about as long as your spine can. The reason you see bigger bikes with higher miles is because there's less people crashing them, and they're usually more well kept than a first timers 250 or a street demons 636.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Ha! Just posted this on JB's thread about "never worn out an engine":

One of the OG's on the CBR forum put over 300,000 on his F4i before moving on. Never did anything more than the scheduled maintenance and said it still ran like a top...

I'm just getting to 30,000 on mine and will be thrilled to reach 100,000... someday. Suffice to say, I think you have PLENTY of miles left with proper maintenance!

Also, dealers are a lot like many doctors I've encountered, i.e. they might know a lot within a very narrow focus, but are ignorant about most everything else outside that focus...

Reactions: TireguyfromMA

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts
Here’s a Speedo reading on one of the first reintroduced Indians from Polaris. Is that high mileage enough? 382,402 miles!

Reactions: El Guapo

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Ask a dealer about what constitutes high mileage when you are trading in your bike and you might get a very different answer than you would get when looking at a used bike at the same dealership.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone...thanks so much for all of the great info. Really appreciate everyone's time and knowledge. Sounds like the service rep I talked to didn't really have a clue (he was actually one of the assistant service managers, not just a technician). I was thinking around 20K-25K my bike was just going to blow up but it's great to know that most likely won't happen. I follow my dealers service recommendations which are actually more aggressive than what's in the owner's manual so my bike will probably last forever (or until I replace it which I'm really itching to do by the way).

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to comment! :cool:

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,657 Posts
Your dealer is most likely trying to sell you a new bike sooner, rather than
later.

I Guarantee you if your bike was on his floor, he'd be telling a prospective buyer a completely different story.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your dealer is most likely trying to sell you a new bike sooner, rather than
later.

I Guarantee you if your bike was on his floor, he'd be telling a prospective buyer a completely different story.
For sure! I've learned the hard way about how car dealers take you to the cleaners but this is my first motorcycle so I wasn't exactly sure how long they lasted. I'm glad I posted here and got such expert advice from people who really know. Sounds like motorcycle dealers are just like car dealers then. The good thing is this bike does about 80% of what I need it to do so I'm probably going to keep it a long time...even though I'd love a Z650, MT-07, CB650R, or Trident 660 right about now. :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's all about the maintenance, an engines a damn engine unless you got yourself a lemon. A well maintained motorcycle can go well past 100k miles, a perfectly maintained one can go for about as long as your spine can. The reason you see bigger bikes with higher miles is because there's less people crashing them, and they're usually more well kept than a first timers 250 or a street demons 636.
Makes sense. People with more experience are more likely to purchase and therefore maintain a $20k bike than a beginner buying a $1500 bike.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I occasionally see big sport-touring bikes (Think Consours/FJR/ST1300) with exceptionally high miles, for really low prices. I have actually considered buying one. Almost without fail they are in super clean condition with lots of bells and whistles. You don't rack up 100k on a bike without taking good care of it, and you don't ride across the country 20 times without investing in lots of bike goodies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oil and filters are cheap! Keep oil changed with a good quality dino oil or synthetic. Which ever your bike was designed for. Older pre-synthetic bikes tend to leak if synthetic oil is used and may not run hot enough for max power. Of course, if your riding style is “qualifying laps” at all times then wear and tear add up. But that said I would think doubling your mileage is not out of reasonable expectation. IMO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts