Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...been searching for a unrestored, minty 750. There was an a firm #2 bike with 1,600 miles on it in Indiana through ebay from a shop. I was the highest bidder at $7,200, but it didn't meet reserve. The bike has zero rust, even in the tank, batery box, and all the usual spots. One owner since 1972...not a scratch, and the brightwork, nuts and bolts don't even have the typical haze on them. Looks near new and runs perfectly. Haggarty, which has the highest values of all, shows a #2 bike at &10K, #1 concourse at $12K. Big bucks for a Honda which isn't sandcast.

Anyhoo...What would you pay for a #2 bike if you were in the CB750 market? Any Honda aficionados out there? I'm looking for a pet for show and shines...no distance riding.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You sure about that 'Old'? I thought they were sandcast engines.

And 7k may seem a little high, but the ones I've seen around here are going for about 5k. And they've been rode hard and put away wet! Or some kid chopped the hell out of it, to where it would be very hard to bring it back to original.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You sure about that 'Old'? I thought they were sandcast engines.

And 7k may seem a little high, but the ones I've seen around here are going for about 5k. And they've been rode hard and put away wet! Or some kid chopped the hell out of it, to where it would be very hard to bring it back to original.
I just talked with the shop owner who still has it. Not sandcast. The bike has been with the same family...passed down two generations. 14K original miles, looks near new. Runs perfect. He'll go $8,500, no lower.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My mistake, Old. The 750s' were sandcast for only one year.....1969. These engines were 'gravity' fed into the molds, while the newer engines were injected into the molds, producing cleaner looking and stronger cases.

As for the price? That's up to you, my friend. I have owned two SOHC 750s' and have a DOHC sitting in my garage now. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for those bikes. The Honda 750 tipped the motorcycle world on its ear in the 1970's. It is a piece of history. So the bottom line is, what's it worth to you?

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
The 1969 models were beat to death by many of the stroker set, and stayed together.
The newer DOHC model was a nice bike too. You have to love the early metalflake orange. They saved the sweet colours for the CB500 and 550.

UK

·
Registered
781 Posts
The 1969 models were beat to death by many of the stroker set, and stayed together.
The newer DOHC model was a nice bike too. You have to love the early metalflake orange. They saved the sweet colours for the CB500 and 550.

UK
How true. It was/is very hard to destroy the old SOHC. When it was time for a 'freshening' on my 72, I had it punched out to an 850. And even with that, it was still a very reliable bike. Humm....come to think of it, that's when I started getting all my speeding tickets.:grin:

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm considering paying $6000 for a '76 Goldwing, so there's that...
Still naked then, right? Got a photo of it? My '75 really turned some heads. I bought it back in 2000 with 90K mikes on it. Paid way too much at the time, $2K, but it was clean, stock, and never gave me a problem. Loved that sports car sound it made. :grin:

Anyway, I skipped on that Honda 750 I was eyeballing...because the 85 Moto Morini came up. Now I've gone Italian.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The price of restoring bikes keep going up, the supply..
Unmolested bike you want, offer what I is worth to you and wait and hope and shop.

Are you a collector or rider?
Getting a perfect bike to put miles on seems counter intuitive unless you plan to keep it like an old airplane. otph 70s BMWs are goig about that, 5000 for a rider (if you are lucky) 10,000 for joy. I think.

lol I'm cheap and the 80s bikes speak to me better. Had an 81 Yamaha XV920RH, that was fun. otoh I know someone with a pristine 54(?) Matchless that he loves riding it.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The price of restoring bikes keep going up, the supply..
Unmolested bike you want, offer what I is worth to you and wait and hope and shop.

Are you a collector or rider?
Getting a perfect bike to put miles on seems counter intuitive unless you plan to keep it like an old airplane. otph 70s BMWs are goig about that, 5000 for a rider (if you are lucky) 10,000 for joy. I think.

lol I'm cheap and the 80s bikes speak to me better. Had an 81 Yamaha XV920RH, that was fun. otoh I know someone with a pristine 54(?) Matchless that he loves riding it.
If this bike is as pristine as it looks when it arrives, I agree...it will be for the bike shows. I'd rather sell a cherry than stack up the miles on it. Unless my wallet was REALLY thick...which it's not. :)

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Collector or rider.
79 XS11 Yamaha, runs sweet, on the road year round. Gets rusty and dirty.
80 XS1100 Yamaha. Mint. Show bike and sunny warm days only.

83 XS400 Yamaha. Back up winter bike. Gets used on the worst days.

96 Triumph Trophy 900. Sport cruiser that I will try and keep clean and pretty.
Same with Bluzu the 006 Suzuki sport bike. Last two for the longer trips.

UK

·
Registered
21 Posts
Still naked then, right? Got a photo of it? My '75 really turned some heads. I bought it back in 2000 with 90K mikes on it. Paid way too much at the time, $2K, but it was clean, stock, and never gave me a problem. Loved that sports car sound it made. :grin:

Anyway, I skipped on that Honda 750 I was eyeballing...because the 85 Moto Morini came up. Now I've gone Italian.
I picked up a '77 that had not been registered since '95, knowing full well i was getting into a 90% restoration. Pics to follow!

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I decided to have an independent wrench (well known here) to get my Moto-Morini running after 13 years in a collection. My neighbor kept dogging me about having a static show bike that didn't run. So, I caved. Good news too! After about one month, I'm getting her back, running like a champ! For $600.00, the mechanic rebuilt and cleaned the gummed up carbs, replaced fuel and brake lines, flushed the brake lines, lubed clutch and throttle cables, as well as changing all fluids and a complete tune-up. Funny...When I brought him the bike, he stared at it and studies it for a long time. His first words were "I've never seen one of these before! The engine looks like a V-twin snowmobile engine."

Anyhoo...I'm stoked that the bike has great compression, electrics, starter, lights, brakes, tranny, and is ready to ride to a local bike show. Almost. He's got a few small rubber parts still on order.

View attachment 51482

1 - 16 of 16 Posts