Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had 230 miles per one day, and it was one of the first road trips I've done, from Nashville to Atlanta. It was a great day. The next day + 200 miles to Charlotte. It's pretty important to not forget all the necessary stuff you should take in a trip. I usually check website with simple guide where they listed all the stuff that person should take with him in a such trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
no contest guys, in 1971 I left Lakeland florida to Texas, mexico, central america, on to South America , Venezuela , Colombia, down through Bolivia to Argentina , Chile and the tip of South America. AND Back! 33,000 kilometers and 11 months. No credit cards , cell phones, and not much pavement. lol , got ya beat. A honda 350, still have it. And photos to prove it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Longest trip was in 1969 on a BSA Hornet with lights, went from Utica N.Y. to San Francisco going thru the northern states and into Washington and down to San Francisco. Then to southern California and around the southern states to Georgia then back to Utica N.Y. If i remember it took us 20 days. Then in 1980 on a T-140 Triumph From Sarasota, Florida to Utica N.Y. all but about 50 miles in heavy rain 12 hundred and some miles in just under 30 hours. That trip also took me to Montreal Canada then onto Fall River, Mass and back to Sarasota with Fall River thru Pennsylvania in the Snow . Gone from Atlanta Ga to Sturgis Rally a few times which ie 1384 miles from door to door do up and back in two day each. Still do 500 mile and up trips all the time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well my longest trip was Tacoma, WA to Phoenix, AZ going down the I-5 corridor on my Dyna. Took 3 days there and 3 days back. Just a bit over 3000 miles all together. My next trip is inspired by Ed March (who prolly has us all beat) and I am going to do the BCDR Cascades route from Oregon to Canada on a Trail 90.

For those who dont know who Ed March is, look him up on YouTube, He and his GF rode C90's from Alaska to Argentina and many other places in between!! This guy is crazy but he has fun.

Reactions: Crawsack

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been riding for 35 years, and the longest single day I ever did was about 800 miles. That was 25 years ago and I know that I could not safely do anything like that today. For me now, at 77, a 350 mile day is about the longest I would normally do.
I think 350 miles at your/our stage of the game is great. May you enjoy your motorcycling for many years tocome!

·
Registered
492 Posts
My longest rides were 650+ miles (from zero-dark-thirty till around 8-9pm)... to Daytona in 2009. Temps were in the upper 20's until I got close to Mobile, AL (a very chilly ride). It was getting dark (and COLD again) with dozens of skiddish deer lining Hwy 100, when I pulled into the Cheyenne Saloon in East Palatka, some guy from WI or IL bought me a beer and I just started shaking. The cold beer musta dropped my core temp a several more degrees... it took me hours to warm up.
On the 2011 run down to Daytona, it rained the 1st 120 miles to Hattiesburg. Dried up before I got to Mobile.
I much preferred the 100+ miles in 50º rain, to 300 miles around the 30's.

·
On The Road Again!
3,419 Posts
no contest guys, in 1971 I left Lakeland florida to Texas, mexico, central america, on to South America , Venezuela , Colombia, down through Bolivia to Argentina , Chile and the tip of South America. AND Back! 33,000 kilometers and 11 months. No credit cards , cell phones, and not much pavement. lol , got ya beat. A honda 350, still have it. And photos to prove it.
Well, you certainly win so far!
That sounds like quite a trip!

·
Registered
382 Posts
33,000 kilometers and 11 months. No credit cards , cell phones, and not much pavement. lol , got ya beat. A honda 350, still have it. And photos to prove it.
Would like to see a few photos -- might get the old juices flowing again; was once thinking of riding down to lower Mexico, but never got brave enough...

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Well my longest trip was Tacoma, WA to Phoenix, AZ going down the I-5 corridor on my Dyna. Took 3 days there and 3 days back. Just a bit over 3000 miles all together. My next trip is inspired by Ed March (who prolly has us all beat) and I am going to do the BCDR Cascades route from Oregon to Canada on a Trail 90.

For those who dont know who Ed March is, look him up on YouTube, He and his GF rode C90's from Alaska to Argentina and many other places in between!! This guy is crazy but he has fun.
Sounds like a cool trip!!! What is the BCDR route? I'm guessing it's very slow.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sounds like a cool trip!!! What is the BCDR route? I'm guessing it's very slow.

BCDR stands for Back Country Discovery Route. Washington, Oregon, California and Utah (maybe more) have these off the beaten path trails/roads for adventure bikes. There are 2 in Washington one, the Cascades Route goes from Oregon to Canada via the cascade range. There are a few places to stay and a few more to camp on, it should take about 4 or 5 days to complete. Then there is the Olympic Forest route which goes around the Olympic National park and mountain range on the peninsula of Washington. This one I will prolly start off on as you end where you start and it should only take 3 or 4 days to ride.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
BCDR stands for Back Country Discovery Route. Washington, Oregon, California and Utah (maybe more) have these off the beaten path trails/roads for adventure bikes. There are 2 in Washington one, the Cascades Route goes from Oregon to Canada via the cascade range. There are a few places to stay and a few more to camp on, it should take about 4 or 5 days to complete. Then there is the Olympic Forest route which goes around the Olympic National park and mountain range on the peninsula of Washington. This one I will prolly start off on as you end where you start and it should only take 3 or 4 days to ride.
That sounds great!!! I have a couple dual purpose bikes that would love to take a trip ;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
That sounds great!!! I have a couple dual purpose bikes that would love to take a trip ;)
I'm planning on using a 1978 CT90 (AKA Trail90) I am taking inspiration from Ed March. Look him up on YouTube, the Alaska to Argentina vids are great!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I had the good fortune to have the time and money to ride (solo) from Ventura, California to Ushuaia, Argentina. 4.5 months and unknown number of miles. Flew the bike over the Darien. Riding Bolivia was the highlight of the trip.
That said, I'm humbled by many posts I've read, being new to the forum. There will always be riders with more or fewer miles under their belt.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
That's quite a ride!!! I was just telling Vanessa about this and we are suddenly fascinated by the idea. Does anyone know the distance from the southern tip to Prudhoe Bay?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Thanks @Stablefull FWIW the trip was around 18 - 19K miles, with alot of time spent off the Pan American highway slab. Then rode to Buenos Aires and had the bike flown back to Los Angeles. I've still got details buried somewhere.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts