Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
307 Posts
My frst long ride was 160 miles in one day on a trip through the Sam Houston National Forest. At the end of July I made a 500 miles in 3 days to my sons house in Georgetorwn Tx and all around the Georgetown area. I'll be doing that again soon, hopefully for more than just three days and more miles. When I got back into this, riding that far seemed like an impossibility but it's not. The hot and humid weather can be rough on me. I'm looking forward to cooler weather and a ride to Galvestion Tx, and a ride out to the twisted sisters, and I'd leike to do a several day ride where I camp along the way.

·
American Legion Rider
21,868 Posts
I honestly can ride further on my bike than my car, last road trip to Florida I was dozing off before I hit the 800 mile mark, on my bike I rarely have that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was way back before my back really started getting to me. I can’t go 30 minutes today without hurting. How much I can deal with depends how many miles I’m able to go now in either mode of transportation. I prefer bike but my bike days maybe coming to a end faster than I want. My neurosurgeon won’t touch my back until I hit the ground. He’s just waiting.

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,190 Posts
Langley VA to Oak Harbor WA in 2 days. Not sure of the mileage exactly but I do remember being dehydrated and sore then was only 19 and did it on a naked 1980 Goldwing. Ah the days of zero cares or stuff to hold one back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Longest in 1 day was 500 miles from San Clemente California to San Francisco- I didn't take the scenic route, I just took the 5 straight up, then a few days later took the same route back. I did that route 2-3 times when I lived in California, and doing that on a Honda CBR600RR at 6'3" is not the most comfortable thing in the world, but I'm glad I did it.

Otherwise, on normal riding I'll go 200+ miles in a day if I'm just out riding for fun.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,156 Posts
1200 miles in a cage and I was hallucinating by the end. 650 on a bike and could only go 210 the next day as I was still shot from the day before. Not sure it was worth it. The cage was 23 hours. The bike was 16 hours. Don’t ever care to repeat either one.
Your post reminded me of a trip I made in Europe. I had driven Chris to England after we had gotten engaged to meet the parents. I got on the Ferry to Calais France from Dover intending to stop after a couple of hours as I had a slight wine headache and the pipes on my Firebird didn't help. It was Bastille Day and every hotel room in France would be booked the guy in customs told me. So I started for the border about 1550 km (950 mi) away. I was making great time and got their around 4 am. It was closed and would open at six. I pulled off to the side and dropped my seat back and proceeded to doze. About 4 :30 there was a tap at my window. It was border guard asking what I was doing? I explained and told him I was driving to Rota. I showed him my American Passport an he was surprised as we had been speaking Spanish the entire time. He decided that I couldn't be comfortable in the car so he opened a gate and let me cross the boarder. On I went south. I only stopped for gas which was about every two hours. At speeds over 100 I was getting 16mpg the same as I got at 50-55. Thankfully I had purchased gas coupons on base before I left and it was only costing me .29 a gallon instead of the 2-3 bucks on the pump. I arrived in Rota 14 hours after I left Calais. Somewhere around 2100 km or 1300 miles. I went to bed and woke up 14 hours later.

·
American Legion Rider
21,868 Posts
Funny Critter. I was in West Virginia heading back to the other coast. I forgot it was Kentucky Derby week. I intended to stop well before Kentucky by everything was full. So I just kept driving. Didn't find a place. Finally pulled of in some abandon gas station and tried to forget about the big fuzzy worms I had been seeing crossing the road in front of me.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I got to change my one day mileage. Back in 1989 I rode from Bentonville, Arkansas to Alburquerque, New Mexico in one day. Google says that's about 770 miles. Was riding a 1982 Goldwing Aspencade at that time.

I've come to realize its not so much the miles traveling in a day, its the hours. I used to think 500 miles was my limit, but if I'm running 80 to 85 MPH (as much as I can) I can go over 600 maybe more.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,216 Posts
Earlier this year I attempted to ride 900 miles all in one go. It was late March and I would have encountered snow as I got closer to home. I failed in my mission because the brand new rear tire flattened itself about 300 miles in. And as these were the early days of COVID I called every tow company my insurance offered and every single one was either closed or refused to help. I ended up putting the bike in the back of a U-Haul and drove it the rest of the way home. I've also done about ~300 miles in a day just randomly riding around.

I definitely want to give the thousand mile ride another go now that I'm better prepared for tires deciding that holding air is too hard of a job... :)

Otherwise my longest trip remains 5,000 miles in a $500 pickup truck. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
My longest would be back in 2009 when my brother and I rode over to Lexington, KY to meet up with one of his friends from CW fourms. The three of us rode to Deals Gap and stayed at the Kickstand Lodge. We rode the area for a couple days. Then we rode over to Asheville, NC to meet up with another CW member and he took us on some great roads to MT. Mitchell SP. We headed back to the lodge for the night. The next morning my brother and his friend headed home. I decided that I wanted to head to Barber Motorsports Museum before heading back to Missouri. Total trip was 6 days and 24xx miles.

DSCN0594.JPG

DSCN0719.JPG

Barber Museum.JPG

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My longest ride took me to 49 states. The goal was to complete the IBA 49 states in 10 days ride. It was 550 miles to get to the starting point in SD, 8818 miles to ride to 49 states and then about 2500 miles to get home from Alaska for a total of 11,907 miles in 16 days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My longest ride took me to 49 states. The goal was to complete the IBA 49 states in 10 days ride. It was 550 miles to get to the starting point in SD, 8818 miles to ride to 49 states and then about 2500 miles to get home from Alaska for a total of 11,907 miles in 16 days.
Wow! That is quite the feat. What did you ride on? Did you go solo or with someone else? That's really impressive.

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
Usually 350 miles, but more recently about 220 to 250 miles. The toughest were 50 miles cross country races. And 30 miles on one cylinder of a V twin in the pissing rain in the dark. Or 20 miles on a flat back tyre. OR, the last lap of a road race when you are leading. You hear every sound the engine and tyres and frame make, and hope it will not be their last. UK

21 - 40 of 72 Posts