Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Visionary
3,825 Posts
My longest motorcycle trip was of 200 miles made 20 years ago.
In the same day ( 24 hours) 1530 miles.

Over the course of about 10 days about 6000 miles, about 4000 was the trip out and back to the black hills, with the rest riding around the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,392 Posts
Got me beat by a long shot, both cases. 1582 miles in 35 hours. 5 day trip around 2800 miles

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I've been riding for 35 years, and the longest single day I ever did was about 800 miles. That was 25 years ago and I know that I could not safely do anything like that today. For me now, at 77, a 350 mile day is about the longest I would normally do.

·
On The Road Again!
3,405 Posts
Longest in one day, about 700 miles.
Longest overall, I have no idea of the mileage, but it was a two week trip
from New Jersey up through New England, into New Brunswick, Canada, then over into
Nova Scotia, up around Cape Breton island on the Cabot trail and then home again.
And some years previous to that was a trip from New Jersey up to Niagara Falls, then
to Ontario, Montreal, Quebec, back into Maine and eventually home. That was also done
over two weeks.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,146 Posts
I can't compete! Earliest long trip was 800 in 3 days. Longest single day a few years ago 400. Longest trip ride 2000 over 80 days.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nine years ago, when I turned 70, I satisfied one of my bucket list items by riding my Kawasaki Ninja 650 from the West coast to the East Coast and back. With some stops to visit relatives, it took about a month and 8,000 miles. Last year I trailered my Honda 500 back to Kentucky and rode some of the same roads again, plus more in West Virginia, Ohio and kentucky. About 2300 miles of riding over 8 days.

My avatar is from the Tail Of The Dragon last year.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
129 Posts
A two-week trip with my son a few years ago.... from Wisconsin through Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado, down to 4 corners and the Grand Canyon, up through Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana, through South Dakota, and Minnesota, back to Wisconsin. 6,500 miles in round numbers. Iron Butt ride many years back; just shy of 1100 miles in 24 hours.

·
Ace Tuner
2,521 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread I knew I also couldn't compete.
3000 miles in three weeks meandering thru the Rocky Mountains on an FZ1. Started out from the Houston area. Camped about half the time, motels the other half.

S F

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
The longest ride I have ever been on in one day was about 340 miles from Bend. OR to my parents' place in Coulee City, when I did a fly-n-buy of my FJ1200. I followed it up by riding home the next day, about 315 miles, for a 2 day trip total of about 655 miles. I have never done a really long trip, and don't really have plans to, but that could change, especially if that pretty girl of mine decides she wants to go ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
About this time last fall took my new Softail Lowrider from Alabama to Colorado and back, 3 days going and 3 returning, with 3 days tooling around the Rockies. Camped about 1/3 of the time and motel the rest.
Longest day in the saddle was around 400 miles, I usually averaged around 300.
Next I think I’ll do the Northeast, avoiding the major cities. Maybe even get to Maine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Coming home from work late one night in freezing fog, visor iced up if I had it down, front of my Belstaff had hoarfrost on it 1/2" thick, hands wouldn't move, and my eyelashes kept freezing together. Maybe 8- 10 miles but it seemed like it went on for ever...

·
7,784 Posts
Leading Harley groups from Hemet, CA to Rock Springs, Wyoming: 927 miles, non stop except for gas and food. Then to the Sturgis, SD Rally in 1996. New 1997 Goldwing. Visited the Redwoods and tent camped in Brookings, Oregon on the way home, Via Yellowstone National park!

Leading another HD group from Hemet, CA to Santa Rosa, NM: 900 miles, non stop, then to Carthage, MO, Council Bluffs, Iowa, then to Rapid City, SD. Sturgis Rally 1992 and 1994. 1991 Harley Electra Glide. Visited Yellowstone on the way back.

Wife and I, on a brand new 1974 Honda CB750, toured from Bellflower, CA to Albuquerque, NM, 788 miles non-stop then on to Carthage, MO another 800 miles. We stayed in the Ozarks for a week, riding to all kinds of historic places and then went back through Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and into Southern California and home. 6,561 miles. Last day was from Keystone, CO to Bellflower, CA and it was 960 miles non stop.

The most recent distant touring I've done was on my new 2012 Goldwing, from Carthage, MO to Ooltewah, Tenn and the trip was amazing because the route there is very beautiful, with every kind of terrain! 650 miles.

Now I'm happy to meet my Friends for a +- 200 mile round trip breakfast run and usually it's about 100 miles round trip.

AGE takes its toll as does the heat and humidity!

Sam:)

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
153 Posts
Longest day trip: 559 miles on my 2010 NT700V, from a western suburb of Chicago, north to Madison, WI, then SE to NE Iowa to check out a motorcycle range where I was scheduled to teach, then home to Des Moines. My body was so beat I couldn't negotiate the rut in my driveway (thanks to the City of Des Moines' crappy job putting my driveway approach back after running a sewer by my house that I neither wanted nor needed but had to pay for anyway) so I dumped the bike. I had parted ways with my family in Chicago, so I went up to my neighbor for help, crying and cussing the City. Ended up with a new driveway approach courtesy of the City and an excuse to buy bigger lids for the panniers (and since I was ordering from the UK, a lower fairing while I was at it). Win-win!

Longest trip was this year to the Dragon, goofed around there for five days, then up to Cincinnati and home, just shy of 3000 miles in nine days. This time my body told me that I need to lower the pegs on Sheldon before my next big trip.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Longest single day, about 675 miles. Started out trying to out run a storm on the Oklahoma panhandle. Longest trip, about 4,300 miles. Started here in Arkansas and wanted to see Montana but I also wanted to see some places in South Dakota and Wyoming along the way.

It took about two weeks, give or take a day or two.

·
Registered
380 Posts
visor iced up if I had it down... it seemed like it went on for ever...
Been there did that -- was on a (years ago -- in the gas-shortage days) trip returning from Texas to the Carolina's on my P11A -- non-movable, fog-free (so it said) face shield instant IFR .. coasted to a stop feeling the road with my feet; ripped that shield off and left it in a ditch, and haven't used one since... probably longest trip was weekend round-trips from Virginia to NoDak, maybe 1100-1200 miles per 24... not sure -- the goal was a a Saturday night date a few times a year...

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
1200 miles in a cage and I was hallucinating by the end. 650 on a bike and could only go 210 the next day as I was still shot from the day before. Not sure it was worth it. The cage was 23 hours. The bike was 16 hours. Don’t ever care to repeat either one.

Reactions: mike721

·
Visionary
3,825 Posts
Coming home from work late one night in freezing fog, visor iced up if I had it down, front of my Belstaff had hoarfrost on it 1/2" thick, hands wouldn't move, and my eyelashes kept freezing together. Maybe 8- 10 miles but it seemed like it went on for ever...
Oh yeah. Cold I can deal with by using heated gear but freezing fog is downright scary. I’ve had a few run ins with it too, not fun.
My ‘favorite was riding over the mountains of Virginia around 1 am on 12/26, on the way to Tennessee from New Jersey. It was a cold ride, but I was expecting that, but what I didn’t plan on was around the Blacksburg area running into icing conditions every time went up and down a mountain. I had my visor open, my power windshield lowered, and I still couldn’t see, then I figured it out, I had 1/2 of white ice on my headlights!
That was a memorable ride. :).

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Visionary
3,825 Posts
1200 miles in a cage and I was hallucinating by the end. 650 on a bike and could only go 210 the next day as I was still shot from the day before. Not sure it was worth it. The cage was 23 hours. The bike was 16 hours. Don’t ever care to repeat either one.
I honestly can ride further on my bike than my car, last road trip to Florida I was dozing off before I hit the 800 mile mark, on my bike I rarely have that problem.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts