Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject says it all. Instead of asking "What do you think of this bike, or that bike", I want to know from experienced riders What was your first bike?

Brand? Model? Size (cc's or cu in's) ? Would you recommend it, or was it a mistake?

I have already taken (and passed) the MSF course and have my license; I'm starting to research my first bike. It will most definitely be a cruiser of some sort.

Thanks,
-PH

·
Left. No, the other left.
220 Posts
2007 Vulcan 500 cruiser. Easy to manage. Bike is a bit on the small size, but has enough power to get on the highway out of NYC, but isn't tuned so that if you twitch on the throttle it will rocket out of control.
Handles twisties well (some peg scraping on deep leans), and overall is fun to ride. Also, it's been reliable mechanically.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
I had a 1998 Honda Shadow 750 ACE, and I loved it. Was a very well mannered ridethat was quite forgiving for a new rider, but still had all the needed power to do the interstate without any issues. And at 540 lbs, they are not all that heavy either.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Suzuki GZ250. Rode one in the MSF course and decided to buy one as a learner bike. Neat little bike, had a lot of fun on it. Not great for anything much beyond 55 MPH, but I was having more fun riding the back roads than the highway anyway.

Buying a 250cc was probably the smartest decision I made, though a bike like the Vulcan 500 or Shadow 750 (if you can manage the extra weight) are good choices as well.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,887 Posts
A 1969 XLCH HD Sportster Ironhead Kick Start Only, while loved it back then no way would recommend it now .. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My 1st street legal bike was a 250cc dual purpose, and yes I highly recommend that size bike however it might depend on where you plan to drive it.
I grew up on a farm & got the bike years before I was driving age (yes lucky!).

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
My first street bike was a 1995 Honda Shadow VLX600. I would definitely recommend it as a starter bike, and have done so many times for those looking for a cruiser style bike. The upside is that they can now be found with relatively low miles for very cheap prices. Downside is that there is very little protection for the shiny bits in the case of a tip over.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I started riding on the street with a Honda CL350. I had quite a bit of off-road experience before that, but it was a great motorcycle to learn on the road with.

·
Registered
433 Posts
About a year later, still riding my first bike, a 2003 Honda VT750DC Shadow Spirit. Not too heavy, forgives my trespasses, and goes fast enough for the highways here without feeling like it's going to shake itself apart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About a year later, still riding my first bike, a 2003 Honda VT750DC Shadow Spirit. Not too heavy, forgives my trespasses, and goes fast enough for the highways here without feeling like it's going to shake itself apart.
Thanks everyone for the great input. I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME on CycleTrader and keep gravitating back to the various Honda Shadows (Spirit, Aero, Phantom). There are many with low-to-moderate milage in my price point. Like I said, I have already taken the Motorcycle Safety Course (and we learned on 250's). If I work up the courage to eventually get on the highway for my brief commute to work, I think the fifth gear in the 750's will be a welcome feature.

<Sigh> Alas, I do find myself eyeballing used HD Superlow 883's at times, though...

Thanks again, gang ! Great Forum ! Great Input !

-PH

·
Registered
155 Posts
My first road bike was a 350 honda single cylinder on/off road.
Was really a great and fun bike, to heavy for serious dirt biking but great for trail riding and going home the back way.
Lot of fun on that bike and would like to have another just like it today.

I prefer a cruiser for my riding style, but is nice to have a choice and another bike for both.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Honda CL 90 was great as a teenager, until I moved up to Yamaha 350's.
I guess I won't recommend 40 year old antiques for beginners.

·
Visionary
3,811 Posts
Years ago I started out on mopeds, then a 1976 Honda 400 twin. It was a great bike.
I stopped riding for 30 years, started from scratch again on a Yamaha V-Star 650, which is a great small cruiser, it's a little heavy but very well balanced, and fast enough to ride on the interstate even if it is noisy at high speeds. I commuted 8,000 miles on the highway on it last year,it will easily go 95 mph but unlike a lot of other bikes it's docile enough to keep a new rider out of trouble. Used examples ( any year, they are all more or less the same) are inexpensive and plentiful, check one out along with the Honda's you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My first real street bike was a 1975 Suzuki GT750. The Honda in the background was a friends bike.
Prior to that I had a 1971 Kawasaki 250 Enduro that was primarily a dirt/trail bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
early '70's Suzuki TS125. Great bike to learn on. Before I had my license I'd ride in pastures. I had three of those 2-stroke Suzukis over the years, and had excellent service from all of them. Once they had about 10,000 miles the compression was shot and you'd have to take a wire brush to the plug before you could get it to start.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
First bike I rode was a 48 350 side valve Triumph. First bike I owned was a 650 BSA, photo at left. I would not recommend either bike to anyone.
However the BSA would be a collectors piece today.
First bike I owned in Hawaii in 68 was a 350 Kawasaki 2 stroke. Anything like that I would recommend. There are many good 250 and 400 cc bikes available today. I have an XS400 Yamaha that is a nice bike.
First bike I owned in Canada was a 69 Kawasaki 500 2 stroke. I would not recommend one of those.
First bike I owned in England was a 71 Norton Commando. I would not recommend one of those. However, folks pay silly prices for them these days.
From the list above, the 350 Kawasaki was the best bike.

First bike I owned after moving off the farm, was an SV650 Suzuki. Sweet bike. I would recommend one of these to a good rider. I have an SV1000 now.

Unkle Krusty

M

·
0 Posts
First bike was a 75 KZ400

Would absolutely recommend it to a newbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 78 Posts