Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
22,825 Posts
It was 2 totally different ones for me. 1963 Triumph Bonneville and same year Harley Electra Glide. And still have not owned either one. o_O:(:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I remember watching Electra Glide in Blue years ago. I thought that was a cool bike but never thought I'd own one.

·
Registered
288 Posts
In late 1967 while stationed with the Army at Fort Huachuca, AZ, I was riding a new Honda 305 Scrambler like many at the Fort and quite happy with it. It was my second bike, The first as a kid was a 1959 Triumph Cub.
Then a senior to me NCO ask me if I would be interested in his 3 month old Triumph Bonneville 650 that I really admired so I sold the Honda quickly as he was deploying overseas and could not take the Triumph with him.
At times I really missed the Honda, but these bikes were just a few of the many that I have had in my life.

·
Ace Tuner
2,681 Posts
The first bike I lusted for...
A mini-bike. I think they had lawn mower engines. A ridged frame of course. All the kids (well some) had one and I lusted for one way bad. I kept after my father to let me have one.

Dad said NO, you can't license those things, they are not legal to run on the street and you aren't old enough to get a license anyway. (This started when I was probably 7~8 years old).
But all the kids have them and the police don't care.
Doesn't matter what all the other kids do... NO.
Every summer I'm begging for a mini-bike.
NO, you can't license those things and you're not old enough to get a license anyway.
Please...
NO, you can't license those things and you're not old enough to get a license anyway.
Year after year...

I learned you could get a license for a small street legal bike at age 15.
I'm mowing yards, doing neighborhood labor, anything to earn some motorcycle money.
Now I'm nearing 15 and looking for my first motorcycle to buy with my yard mowing / slave labor money.

Dad said "You've always wanted a min-bike wouldn't you rather get one of those"?
No, you can't license those things...
I'll never forget the "I'm beat" look on his face. Looking back I feel kinda bad about that.
I've often wondered if I would have gotten a mini-bike; would I have been a life long motorcycle guy?
Would I have gotten riding two wheels out of my system at an early age?
Probably not, high performance is everything, still to this day.

S F

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
American Legion Rider
22,825 Posts
All I ever got was, "No, we can't afford that", no matter what it was I wanted. And I still remember the day I got my first check for 2 weeks work at a real job I got, of $140 before taxes. I thought I was rolling in doe and could finally buy anything I wanted.

·
Registered
384 Posts
When I was a kid growing up we lived a block from a Honda dealership. I would wander in and look at all the bikes prably at least once a week. The first one I can remember lusting for was the V65 Sabre. I can't remember what year it had the black and grey I believe paint scheme.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was in high school my parents bought me a Suzuki TC 90 “Honcho” but the bike I lusted after and still do was the 1972 Suzuki TS 250 “Savage” dual sport. The closes I have came to owning the bike is the motocross version I have and am restoring a 1972 Suzuki
TM 250 J “Champion”

·
On The Road Again!
3,625 Posts
The first bike I lusted for...
A mini-bike. I think they had lawn mower engines. A ridged frame of course. All the kids (well some) had one and I lusted for one way bad. I kept after my father to let me have one.

Dad said NO, you can't license those things, they are not legal to run on the street and you aren't old enough to get a license anyway. (This started when I was probably 7~8 years old).
But all the kids have them and the police don't care.
Doesn't matter what all the other kids do... NO.
Every summer I'm begging for a mini-bike.
Please...
Year after year...
Did you live at my house??
Kids in the neighborhood had 'em.
I got to ride one guy's Rupp mini bike, the first motorized two wheeler I ever rode.
I tried hounding my father for one.
See your post above.....
Finally, at 18, I had money and I bought a Honda 90, which caused
all kinds of hell in the family since my father HATED MOTORCYCLES!
That was over 52 years ago. I've never been without a bike since.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I rented a scooter in the Cayman Islands in t990s and had a really good time riding it, so that's what I thought about getting when I got my license in 2012. While waiting to take the course I found the Suzuki Burgman 400 and I decided that was the bike for me. I came close to buying one. There weren't many medium sized options at the time, so the Burgman seemed like the best fit. After completing the BRC I was less sure about my skills and decided to get a smaller 250cc bike after sitting on the Burgman. I think I made the right choice, but the Suzuki was the one I wanted.

·
Ace Tuner
2,681 Posts
my father HATED MOTORCYCLES!
My father didn't hate them. He rode a Henderson when he was a youngster. Although he said he pushed it more than rode it.
He told me about a kid that tangled with a barbed wire fence once, bad news. Also he drove ambulances and saw lots of motorcycle deaths and such. He was only concerned for my well being. He really hated it when I went roadracing. My street/race cars and motorcycles were rough on him and mom. No one in my family ever watched me race.

S F

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first bike I lusted for was a Yamaha Twin Jet 100.In late 1965 I read about this new Yamaha that was about to be delivered to dealers in spring.I had just started riding in May of 65 and was 16 years old. Had a Yamaha single cylinder 55 cc Riverside 55 .This bike got me started and now I wanted more.I ordered the Twin Jet and took delivery on it in March of 1966 a month before my 17th birthday. This little thing was sweet ! Fast .Took my first long distance road trip on it that summer riding up to Boston from New York on I 95 doing battle with tractor trailers on a Friday afternoon .That little thing screamed as I. held it at 65 MPH the entire way with my chin on the gas cap. Got there Friday night ,on Sunday I rode it back home and I have been traveling ever since. I beat the piss out of this bike and it took it .Rode it 3 years until I finally got a YDS3 250cc twin and rode that thing out to Los Angles . Sometimes I still lust for a Jet but I doubt I'd get the same thrill at age 72 that I got from it at 16 . This photo I pulled off the internet is what mine looked like

·
Registered
8 Posts
I to have had at least one motorcycle in the stable ever since my first minibike at about 10 years old, so some 58 years now. I had really wanted the fancy Rupp minibike with a 5hp B&S engine. Until dad bought me a pawn shop mini with a 2 1/2 hp Clinton 2 stroke. That thing ran circles around the Rupp. I do own thumpers but I have always been a 2 smoke fan. Thanks, Dad

21 - 33 of 33 Posts