Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be going back some time for some, and not so much for others. But we've all really wanted one particular bike at one time or another. What was yours, and did you ever get it? For me it goes back some time (late 70's). The bike that I really really wanted as a young man was the 76 Kawasaki KZ900. Eventually, I did get one. Almost 40 years later there was another bike that I really wanted (Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 8V SE), fortunately I was able to get that one too.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,319 Posts
Strangely, for me it was an early 80's Honda Nighthawk 650, dark red. I saw one in an advertisement when I was in Jr. High. I never got one because I didn't really start riding until almost 30 years later. They come around every so often and I think about buying one though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
" I have looked at other women with lust in my heart " Jimmy Carter. Prez.
Because of their reputation, the fact my dad owned one, and I knew guys that raced them, a Norton of some type was an early favourite for me. The first one I owned was a 71 750. Was not a very good bike at all.
Currently I would like a 250 Vespa, and a 250 dirt bike. Would love to have my TL250 Honda back.
Also on the current list is a Kawasaki Ninja 400. UK

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I was kid (90's) I had a Yamaha townmate 80cc. My best friend (gone in a car accident at early 00's) had a Honda chaly some 72cc and there was no way for me to catch him on the street, I was plain jealous of that little bike... At the same time, the boldor 900 of my big, almost adult back then cousin, never worked properly cause of modifications he had done to it but I liked it... it was a Honda, a big one. At some point I convinced my father to sell the townmate and get me the MBX 125, a Honda! my first one, a 2 stroke, weirdly and unexpectedly fast killer machine with no brakes in fact, but I was the fastest. The broken boldor of my cousin could catch me in theory only in high speeds (high for us back then) but it couldn't achieve them because it was broken. I was fast xD

Fast forward, after I had changed several used bikes Honda announced the all new (back then) Hornet 900s! that was the year 2000 maybe, so I waited. At 2004 I got the bike of my life from a wooden box shipped straight from Japan... what a smell, I still remember the smell... it is still outside my house to this day waiting for me. Very few things get to relate to us as strongly as the motorcycles, there are always there in most of our memories.

Nice thread, thank you for giving me the opportunity to write this.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,319 Posts
Actually, I already posted about my first bike I really wanted. But I was reading through this, it occurs to me that really it was a YZ80. In my neighborhood in the late '70s it seemed like half the kids in the neighborhood all had YZ80s.
There was no possible way my parents were buying me a motorcycle, let alone a YZ80. Interestingly, we did have mopeds around the house. They seem to not have any problem with a kid riding around a tall moped, but a kid size YZ80? They weren't having any of that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
8,224 Posts
I had a brand new Honda C110, 50cc, 4 speed, Lil Bike and loved it when I first got my permit at 15 1/2 years old but when I saw a Brand new WHITE Honda 305cc Superhawk, I was in awe and almost had a premature---------:)

I never could afford a new one but I did have the 250cc version and the 305cc one in about 1965 and converted the 250 on to a 'Trail bike,' with knobby tires and a large rear sprocket!

Before owning my 50, I lusted after two disparate rides, a 1961 WHITE BMW, R69S.

I also had the HOTS for a 1961 BLUE Lambretta 125cc Scooter.

Now I only lust for Apple fritters and hot black coffee!

Sam:)

·
Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
57 Posts
The chopper Peter Fonda rode in the movie The Wild Angles (released in 1966 but I first saw it in late 1967).
It had fins on the exhaust pipes, a springer fork, a dragon on the gas tank (which I always thought was a lizard until I read otherwise) and it was unlike any street motorcycle I had ever seen.

But in 1967 when I fell in love with the Wild Angels' bike, I was 17, weighed 120 pounds, and also loved my Honda S-90, which was my first motorcycle and perfect for a skinny newbie street rider.

In 1969 I traded up to a 1969 Honda CL 350 Scrambler, which weighed 350 pounds and was really just a street motorcycle with scrambler styling and I loved it too. It was perfect for the type of riding I was doing at that time, with more power than I needed and as much weight as I could reasonably pick up when I dropped it.

But at that same time (1969) my dream bike was the one Steve McQueen rode in desert races, a custom built bike with a Triumph 650 engine and a Matisse frame.

Unfortunately living in urban Atlanta, Georgia there were very few places to ride such a motorcycle off-road even if I'd somehow been able to afford building one, and my CL350 was way more than I actually needed for street and freeway riding and my occasional road trips of 60-100 miles per day.

I'm 71 now, no longer commute, no longer do road trips because there's no where I really want to go, and my perfect motorcycle is my 2016 Honda Rebel 250. It's light weight, has plenty of power for the rare times that I need to get on a freeway or rural highway, and meets all my other needs. But like all of us, there are a variety of bikes I'd like to have sitting in my garage for special occasions when want to show off.

·
On The Road Again!
3,625 Posts
Before owning my 50, I lusted after two disparate rides, a 1961 WHITE BMW, R69S.
View attachment 65186

Oh boy! You got me with that one, Sam.
My first three bikes were Hondas, but what I REALLY wanted was one of those early BMWs.
What I ended up with was THREE of them, a '66 R50, a '63 R60, and a white '58 R60!
Rode the heck out of the R50, not so much on the other two.
I still kick myself for selling them 20 years later.
(sigh)

Reactions: Porky

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,660 Posts
Early 60's my parents neighbors brought home a Harley Springer. I thought that was the sharpest looking bike ever. Finally got one a few years back.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think the first bike that really flipped my switch was the Honda Dream 250, but I wasn't old enough for a license then -- at riding age, it was a toss-up between the Kawasaki 500cc MKIII or the Norton P11. I was a new rider and bought a new P11 in mid '69, since the MLIII had a reputation for needing an experianced rider to really get all it had... I was lucky enough to get my dream bike right off, and loved it (rode it through many of the lower 48 over the 5-6 year I had it).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this may be going back some time for some, and not so much for others. But we've all really wanted one particular bike at one time or another. What was yours, and did you ever get it? For me it goes back some time (late 70's). The bike that I really really wanted as a young man was the 76 Kawasaki KZ900. Eventually, I did get one. Almost 40 years later there was another bike that I really wanted (Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 8V SE), fortunately I was able to get that one too.
Circa '71, outta College & Army Reserve Basic -AIT, down south, ret'd to Laguna Beach, SoCal, saw ad for nu Kawaski 500 Mach III. Borrowed $$ from my Disneyland CU, about $1100-. Not wanting to admit Never having a MC before, took my Dodge van up to local dealer, paid for blu beastie, loaded into van, back to Laguna. Plunked down a 2x4' on my steep street, unloaded bike, read instruction manual, fired her up, went around block several times .. All too E-Z! Put on jacket, nu Bell Star full-face (bitchin!), headed S, thru Laguna, to Dana Pt., headed inland to #74 - Ortega Hwy, most dangerous MC Hwy in CA! Did the deal, about 30mi of twisties, up & down, to ol' Lake Elsinore, jeez, had to tip-off tank already! .. Rolled into great Spring, Summer, leaving a trail of blu smoke throughout SoCal. Like drivin the closest thing to an F-1 on street, blu beastie would scream at 6750rpm! Was working The Matterhorn at D-Land on a Saturday morn. Red down parka, white Bell Star, left 92627, N on PCH about 6:30am, along Fab Coast, up thru Corona del Mar, right on ol MacArthur Bl, gaining speed uphill, to 70mph... Suddenly, spotted a small doe about 150yds to left, out of a gulley of opposing lanes... Here she came, Eyes contacted, No more than 3'(!), tapped her on the rear.. She scampered away OK, never had time to drop bike, stopped at a light 60sec later, never soiled underwear either, free-ballin, wasn't wearing any... Nobody would believe my story at Disney, tapping a deer at 70, a lil to krazy!

·
8,224 Posts
BB, sounds like you and I rode all of the same roads, even at the same time! I think I have rode Ortega hwy a million times. Palomar, Cooks Corner, The Rock Store, Mount Laguna, Anza Borrego etc-etc.

I worked in Irvine and Costa Mesa for many years and lived in Bellflower, CA and lastly Hemet, CA until 1999 when we left 'Shake and Bake,' and moved to the Heartland. I was born in Lynnwood and I still have relatives all over Southern CA.

I have ridden coast hwy from National City to Crescent city, the entire length of the State, really, all the way to Neah Bay, Wash State.

I miss the Pacific Ocean more each day!

I put miles on both the 500 and 750, 3 cyl Kawasaki's and they were a HOOT.

USAF. 1966 through 1970.

·
Banned
65 Posts
The very first bike I ever really wanted was a Schwinn Scrambler... yes, the pedal bike, lol. For some reason, I wanted one of those more than anything in the world, but this was after my dad split and we were dirt poor, just struggling to survive, so I never actually got a Scrambler... later, once I made some money from my paper route, I bought a tricked-out BMX frame and put together my own custom BMX bike, so no worries. :)

The very first motorbike which I thought was heller cool was the same desert sled mentioned earlier in this thread, the bike put together by Steve McQueen, who was an early hero of mine. Dunno if y'all ever saw the flick 'ON ANY SUNDAY'---I liked a few of the bikes in that movie, as well as the riders for their style. Here's a pic or two of the very first motorbike I ever owned, a 4-speed N-V-T Easy-Rider moped (Norton-Villiers-Triumph) which was the fastest moped in Coronado for some time. :oops:

The 'Learner' number didn't last, lol, but this bike was actually pretty fun to ride. The fake plastic "tank" was solely for looks, the real tank was incorporated into the tubular frame. And check out all that chrome!!! Lol... but the 4-speed gearbox is what set this bike apart from all other mopeds in town, there wasn't a Puch that could touch it. Some of the Puchs pushed double-nickel, but my bike went at least 57 m.p.h. on level pavement, and it could handle a surprising amount of offroad riding too. :alien:

·
Registered
04 Tri. Speedmaster, 05 Tri. Tiger
23 Posts
A mechanic in the town I live in had a 69 BSA Rocket 3 that I really wanted. I told him that if he ever wanted to sell it to give me a call, that was in 1980, fast forward about 30 yrs a buddy of mine calls me one day and says, "you remember that BSA of Baker's, he wants to sell it" Called him and got it for $2500, did a bit of work to it and got it running. I think it was worth the wait.

·
8,224 Posts
In 69, while I was in the Military, a SGT friend of mine asked me if I was interested in his new BSA Rocket, Candy Red, with the single carb, and very low mileage, as he had got his deployment orders and couldn't take it with him.

I took it for a ride and although it had lots of Torque, the thing was butt slow!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 305cc Superhawk would leave it in the dust! Honda's were the END for BSA and most British bikes. I couldn't afford it anyway on SLAVE military wages so I passed.

I love the looks of the Brit bikes of that Era and have rode lots of different brands and now, at this age, I would love to have one as mainly works of ART. Form not function.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Back in the late 60's my cousin showed me a sales brochure for the "new" Harley Davidson motorcycles. They were making some small bikes back then. I don't remember the how big the engine was, something like a 150cc or 200cc, but we both drooled over the photos all the way to school on that big yellow bus.

Neither one of us ever got one of those Harleys, the nearest Harley dealer was in Tulsa, Oklahoma (I think). But it was nice day dreaming about riding one all over the place.

·
Shadow Moderator
905 Posts
I was riding my Suzuki GS550 home from work one afternoon, going 20 mph or so in bumper-to-bumper highway traffic. A little bit ahead of me was a guy on a 1984 (or so) Honda Sabre V65. He spotted an opening in traffic, blipped his throttle and took off like he'd been shot out of a cannon. After that I lusted for one of those. Until several years later when I read up on them and found they are great in a straight line, not so much in the twisties.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I was riding my Suzuki GS550 home from work one afternoon, going 20 mph or so in bumper-to-bumper highway traffic. A little bit ahead of me was a guy on a 1984 (or so) Honda Sabre V65. He spotted an opening in traffic, blipped his throttle and took off like he'd been shot out of a cannon. After that I lusted for one of those. Until several years later when I read up on them and found they are great in a straight line, not so much in the twisties.
l had the V40 version. Really top heavy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts