Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What type of rider are you? Why?

I am a motorcyclist. Love motorcycles, love riding, love to explore the world. Take a certain pride in riding in rain, gravel, or other conditions that some would rather avoid. Ride whenever possible, but definitely just a regular, fairly dorky guy. Not very big. No one has ever found me intimidating, except my cat when he steals from the dinner plate.

Shoot. This was meant to be a poll, but it didn't work. For fun, here are the options it would have given:

1. Person who happens to own a motorcycle
2. Motorcyclist
3. Biker
4. BikerrrrrRAR!!! (1%)
5. Skippy/Squid
6. Track-Day casual
7. Racer
8. Dirt Biker
9. Thought this was a forum for bicycles
10. Other

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
A wounded 2

·
Registered
96 Posts
As a member of an 1% MC I have to say 3.

Plus I ride for the love of motorcycles all yeah round rather than jump in the car and I enjoy fixing them up to, which to me is what a biker is.

Someone who just buys them to look at or go for a run out Sunday and lets the shop do all the work is a motorcycle enthusiast.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Motorcyclist, life long though admittedly with some long dry spells. I am not a biker but I am an avid cyclist. So 2 and 9.

Me on one of my bikes:

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I thought there was a poll like this done already. It would be several years old by now anyway. Might have been a different site though.:smile: Guess I'm just a 2. Too bad there isn't a "old fart too stupid to stop riding".

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
All except for: 4, 5 and 9:smile_big:

#10 Is an area that encompasses anything so I will add this: I'm the ultimate breakfast or lunch rider, capable of smelling 'Chicken fried steak and eggs' from maybe 100 miles one way:grin::grin::grin::grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Number 2 for me as well. The term "biker" has a certain connotation that some may seek out, or wish for, but I always considered myself a "motorcyclist".

Your choices didn't include a "wannabe", a category that I have found quite frequently. That's the guy that really doesn't care to ride much, or maybe is very poorly skilled at riding, so he limits himself to going the mile or two from where he lives to a local tavern, proudly parks in front of the tavern so everyone can see his big bad motorcycle, then after a few drinks or more he rides the mile or two home. But for sure he has dozens of motorcycle related t-shirts, jackets, hats and boots, probably with the brand of motorcycle he rides displayed prominently on all.

Another category of biker that I used to see frequently when I would go to rallies in different parts of the country, was the guy that would never, ever try to ride his motorcycle to the rally but would trailer it there. Once arrived he would spend endless time washing and polishing the trailered bike, and the only time he would actually ride it was the end of rally slow speed "parade" of bikes.

None of my above remarks is meant to be critical, only that owning and riding a motorcycle means a lot of different things to different folks and all are legitimate. I love to ride and do about 8,000 miles a riding season in recent years. I don't need to prove anything to anyone so riding in 20 degree or colder weather just for bragging rights doesn't make sense for me. Nor do I feel that I have to go 600 or more miles in a single day just to show how dedicated to riding I am. And when I reach the point where handling a large, heavy motorcycle has become too much for me (something that seems to be approaching sooner rather than later) and I switch to a small engine bike weighing less than 400 pounds, or even a scooter, I will still think of myself as a motorcyclist.

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
I'm the kind of biker who likes to change his oil and filter, Tranny and primary fluids, service the air cleaner, fix things I know
I can fix. Also doing things like mounting hi-way bars on the wide glide and a chrome coils cover with the fat orange plug wires
or changing rear direction signals on Sporty to work as tail lights and direction signals.

I like to Keep the bike looking pretty good most of the time, a good wash an wax every now and then but I don't make
it a point to have the bike looking brand new all the time.

I rode dirt bikes a long time ago and I liked that, now I'd rather ride street and if I know it will rain later in the day, I'll sneak in
an hours ride because that's better than no ride but If I plan on a long ride and somehow get caught in a heavy rain, I'm usually
dry 20 minutes later and it is no big deal.

I like the way some guys dress for riding, a good pair of boots; dungareez; helmet; goggles; gloves and yeah I have a number of
motorcycle shirts by H-D

I like to go to a bikers bar after a good ride, usually like a hundred an fifty or two hundred mile ride and get a good burger fries an
a cold beer, talk to others and listen to the band they have playing. I usually ride on Saturdays but depending on what's gotta get
done and what got done, I sometimes get a good ride in during the week.

If I went to a rally, I rode there.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'm a 1, 2, pretend to be a 7, and have unintentionally been a 5 a couple times (accidentally discovered my GS850G could do burnouts!)

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,499 Posts
2, 4, 10

·
Registered
316 Posts
#2 all the way. Have my cruiser, head north for 2 lane tree-line roads with dappled sunlight, and the goal is always smoooooth. Clutch smooth, accelerate smooth, come out of turns smooth, take the right lines and execute smooth stops. Very few cars in my primary biking area; such a great escape from the world. I also keep my MC very clean and shiny (my cage not nearly as much); it all adds to the riding experience.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another category of biker that I used to see frequently when I would go to rallies in different parts of the country, was the guy that would never, ever try to ride his motorcycle to the rally but would trailer it there. Once arrived he would spend endless time washing and polishing the trailered bike, and the only time he would actually ride it was the end of rally slow speed "parade" of bikes.

Funny you should mention that as you get them over here, usually they bring a show bike to enter for the competition, but I have to admit there has been times when at the end of a weekend rally on the going home Sunday afternoon whilst not over the limit as I always take a breathilizer with me because the police often put up somewhere waiting for bikers to pull knowing they potentially may be on the border from the night before, but I have been so sick from the drink and the cheap burger stalls, and not sleeping well in a poxy tent, and I mean sick that I have looked on those people putting their show bikes back on the trailers with envious eyes or preyed for my bike to not start to get taken home by break down, even if my mates offered to help fix it I would say " nah its broke beyond spanner " than ride those miles back to my real bed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
First time back in a long time, guess I'm a mix of no.1 through no.5. I use the bike through most of the spring to fall when I don't need the carrying capacity of my truck. Also because of gas mileage, but mostly because it's more fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a #2 I guess, or maybe a 10.

I bought an old 900 Yamaha Diversion for $2k about 4 years ago, to save money on fuel - then discovered how much I liked riding again. ' ended up selling my ute and now the bike is my only set of wheels. It takes me into town every day, a half-hour trip from where I live in the bush in Northern NSW, and I've started doing long road trips on it around different parts of Australia, the proceeds from the ute sale going towards camping gear and luggage. My current bike is a 2014 F700GS with tyres that can handle a bit of dirt so I'm always looking for out of the way tracks to give them a workout, and sometimes find a place where I don't have to pay to pitch my tent.

Three weeks ago I got a speeding-plus ticket that's pushed my license demerit points up close to the limit and since then I've been learning something new - riding patiently. It's not as bad as I thought it'd be and it turns out it save's a lot more on fuel. ' got another long ride planned soon, down South this time; wondering what it'll be like doing it just one point away from hitching home carrying 30 or 40 kg of luggage, hope I can remember to be patient.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts