Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having never been to the swap meet, I wonder if it is permitted to ride a small bike around the vendor area to see the displays. I am traveling with a guy who plans to take a couple of CB 350 class bikes, but wonder if they are allowed in the swap area or other areas of the mid-Ohio?

There is a golf cart available to him on first come first served basis that has been rented by his club, but that seems sketchy at best. I have good days and bad, but on the bad days, my ankle can go out like a trick knee and pretty much leave me hobbled.

Going to go in two days in any case and take a cane for good measure.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Don't know about 350's, I have seen golf carts and small scooters on tv shows..

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Short Report

So Jerrod and I went and he took his 250 Triumph and a Honda to the show (for display] on a 16 foot trailer. I was his guest and followed his lead, and it was clear that he wanted to explore every inch of the 22 acre swap meet.

The Vintage Honda guys had a great display including a Police bike. There was a guy there who specialized in hotrodding old CBX's and he was producing improved parts for them-- just a beautiful display. The Wall of Death was a great show that I missed out on, but J saw it as he attended for 3 days.

I needed a spring latch for a honda tank that costs 40.00 aftermarket, and lucked on to an entire tank with that part and a decent fuel cap all for 10.00. Very underpriced because the tank had a fist sized dent and an attempt with a slide hammer. I know that I could save that tank with the success I am having with the pinhole and dent repair of the CB175 tank that is almost done. I also found a nearly complete spare set of carbs for my 550 and jokingly asked the guy if he wanted 30.00 for them. No,he wanted 25.00.

We met some British guys looking at the bargain prices [bargain overseas but not here] on the old Triumphs, but a couple thousand for an excuse why they did not run was not convincing for us to buy. These guys were a treat and I think they enjoyed our way of talking as much as we enjoyed theirs.

Friday was a mud-fest in certain low areas of the flea market, but we have had record rains and that would not be a problem in a typical weather year. We walked, but I never would do that again. Either the 175 or a 350 with knobbies is going there next year. The bargains came fast and furious on Sunday, and J FILLED his trailer, bringing home 7 bikes. He got a nice early CB750 and I am eager to go see him and the bike. I went to a party Saturday night and talked bikes for a bit and that led to another titled parts bike [1976 CB 750} for 200.00. It looks like J is gonna get the bike and I will end up with a second Vetter and a nice set of HondaLine luggage for my 750. Funny how stuff works out.

We found out that if you want a very nice bike at a higher price, go on Thursday. Friday is a good day to scout, Saturday is crowded, and Sunday is when the liquidation sales happen. That is understandable if one considers that some of these guys sell off their old stuff to try to upgrade to better stuff and do not have the trailer space to take it all home.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Great wrap up. Very imformative

1 - 5 of 5 Posts