Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings To All....in the process of completing my first oil change. Everything was going fine. Then Came the bolt to let the dirty oil out. I have the right socket but it seems the bolt is stripped. Now what? Do I put one bottle of oil in and go to a shop so they can get it out?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,441 Posts
Is the head rounded off? Buy a new one and then try something like vice grips to get it out.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
If vice grips don't do it, try Channellock nutbuster pliers.

Be careful not to yank the bike off the centerstand.

Use a torque wrench to torque the new drain plug to spec. I think it's 40 nm, but double check. Over tightening may have contributed to rounding it off.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Greetings To All....in the process of completing my first oil change. Everything was going fine. Then Came the bolt to let the dirty oil out. I have the right socket but it seems the bolt is stripped. Now what? Do I put one bottle of oil in and go to a shop so they can get it out?
If you can't remove the drain plug yourself using some specialty tool and have to take it to a shop, then check the oil level FIRST before you add more. If the oil level is ok then no need to add more.

Sears craftsman makes a wonderful tool for removing rounded bolts. Very reasonably priced too. It's a set of sockets (you use the one that needs to be used) that you place on the rounded bolt, then you tap it on securely with a small hammer and then use a 3/8 drive ratchet to loosen the drain bolt. You will need a replacement drain bolt and washer as was pointed out earlier.

Do not add more oil if the level is ok.

·
American Legion Rider
18,501 Posts
I can't remember but I thought BMW used an Allen bolt on some of there bikes. I may just be dreaming that though. If that's what you have then I'd take it to the shop. If you just removed the oil filter chances are not much came out. Less than half quart maybe? Like has been said, check the level. If it's not down that much and you don't have too many miles, say less than 30, then ride it over. If more I'd add a little just to be safe. But that's me.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,441 Posts
If it is an allen, then you can try tapping a slightly larger star into the allen opening and use that to get the bolt out. you will still need a new replacement. Good luck.

I think it was Eye that recommended that option to me when I was having an issue with some allen bolts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. It's a 24mm socket, which I bought. However, I didn't get the socket with 6 points. I got the socket with the ridges, so that may be the problem. The drain plug is not stripped completely, so I'll give it another shot. I'll pick up the correct socket today. I'll keep you all posted.

A friend of mine who is a mechanic is on call for me this afternoon, if need be.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will Critter, Hope all is well with you. I'm not to worried because I'm going up to Bobsbmw on saturday to have my sprockets and chain replaced. So if I dont get the drain plug out today, I'll have them do it. I'm determined to finish my first oil change all by myself. All that's left to do is drain the oil and add the new oil.

All in all, I'm still proud of myself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gratz on the first oil change attempt. Dont let it beat you down! Drain plugs can be a nightmare when the head is stripped. It's not part of normal maintence to change the drain plug but I put a new one in every year or so. catch the problem before it starts.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. It's a 24mm socket, which I bought. However, I didn't get the socket with 6 points. I got the socket with the ridges, so that may be the problem. The drain plug is not stripped completely, so I'll give it another shot. I'll pick up the correct socket today. I'll keep you all posted.
That would be my guess. Try again with the 6 sided socket, and gently tap it on with a hammer if you need to. If that doesn't work the bolt removers that Jack mentioned are cheap and very effective in most cases.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well the oil is changed and I'm on the road. I found a shop in in Manassas Va. The owner works alone and seems to be very good. I was informed that the dealership should have told me that I need a drain plug with my last oil change. By not telling me, I had to go back to them.(hmmmmm). I will not let the mishap with my first oil change deter me from trying again.

He replaced the plug for free.

·
American Legion Rider
18,501 Posts
Education comes at a cost no matter how you get it Jahuth.:thumbsup:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Good deal! That's one of the things you will do often. Now be sure to keep a log of when you change it so you can provide it to a future owner if needed.

Have you changed that brake fluid yet? That was my demon. Thanks to some of the guys on the Forum I was able to get it done.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good deal!

Do you have to replace the drain plug with every oil change?
No I dont. The original drain plug was stripped. I should be good now.

Moni, that's a little more complicated but I'm sure I can do it. I got it done for free from my new mechanic on Wednesday. I have ABS so I have to do some research before I tackle it. I definately need my brakes to be operating correct...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know the problem is solved now, but will just say I had a similar problem with an allen bolt on my highway bars. I ended up stripping the head on it because i think my allen key was slightly off (I'm thinking metric vs imperial size or something).

Anyways, it was a bitch to do, but I eventually got it off with vice grips, even though the head of the bolt was rounded. Would eventually have drilled that out if I had to, but the vice grips saved me from that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts