Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the MVA bill of sale truly have to be notarized? It looks like they really make it difficult, as in once you've bought the bike you have to go get tags and come back to the seller so you can ride it back home. WTH?:plain:

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
I have bought and sold several vehicles in MD. Seller fills out the back of the title and signs it. You take it to the DMV and get it transferred into your name. Without a current inspection sticker you will have to get temporary tags so you can take it to get inspected. Try to get the seller to get it inspected before you buy it, then you can get your tags right away. Also you will need proof of insurance.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! :) So you can't just buy the bike and leave with it. You have to go take care of paperwork first once you've bought it, and then you can come back to get it. man that's kind of dumb...

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
Not by the letter of the law. Some do and get away with it. If you are buying from a dealer they will have inspected it and take care of the paperwork. A private seller not so much.

My Yamaha I bought from a dealer. I traded another bike in on it so we did a tag transfer there. The Harley I trailered home. On the way stopped by a title business up the road from me and took care of the paperwork there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.