Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm a rider out of Indiana. Got my first bike last March and have put around 14K miles on it. Loving every minute of the 2 wheeled life. Ive had a very bad experience this weekend and was wondering if I could get some advice on proper action. I live in Indiana by the way.
My best friend has been wanting to get a bike since I got one, and every now and then he heads to my house in the country and I show him the ropes of riding. Saturday morning we went out riding in my neighborhood when he took a turn way to fast, slammed on the front brakes and skidded face first on the pavement. Let me add in that he was getting married later that day, and I know, I should've given him a helmet, I can't stop thinking about not forcing one on his head. Anyway, 125 stitches in his face later he got married and is home and recovering. Very minimal damage to the bike, shouldn't cost more than 300$. He's a damn trooper.
That's the story, now here is the problem. I do a 6 month insurance plan since I can't ride all year long. 2 months ago I moved to another city, closed out my bank account and created another one. I called the insurance company to let them know this and to switch the automatic payment to my new bank account. Things got mixed up and last months payment was charged to my old bank account, which didn't go through obviously, and my insurance policy was terminated a week and a half before the accident. I have called and called Allstate asking them to open up the policy. The BMV needs to see my insurance, or he could lose his license for 90 days. I have been stressing out and reliving the accident that happened for 4 days, and now I learn that he could lose his license for 90 days and add more bills on top of his medical bills.
I know this is a long story, but I would appreciate any advice this community has to offer.

·
Very Famous Person
9,681 Posts
--

You both screwed up. Maybe the fairest way is to let him cover all his penalties and you cover yours. The memories won't go away for a long time which will be punishment for both of you that you can't stop with some money changing hands.

I would avoid having any attorneys get involved. That will only cause ill will and cost more money. Remaining friends will help your future relationship.

--

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
You really don't have any recourse. Your insurance company does not have to cover anything, and I seriously doubt they will do anything.

As an aside, my insurance policy runs for a full 12 months, even though I can only ride 8 months per year. It is relatively cheap, only around $150 per 12 months. I don't believe my insurance carrier would allow me to only cover it for 8 months. Short answer I am trying to convey: pay for 12 months of coverage, and make certain coverage is continuous, especially after a bank account closing! As another aside, always wear a full-face/modular helmet, as well as all of the other gear: armored jacket; some type of protective pants; gloves; boots which cover the ankles.

Lastly, your buddy needed to learn how to properly ride: sign him up for the Motorcycle Safety Training Classes -- you will save his life by doing this! No joke. I took it 33 years ago, and I still use the techniques they taught me, on every single ride! My wife and son took the class: they thanked me for being stubborn and insisting that they take the class, even after eight years of riding, they still thank me. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
SgtSlag has it half right. The BRC from the MSF is golden. I took it after being a rider for over 40 years and it taught even me a few things I did not already know. On the other hand your insurance is only good while they are willing to accept responsibility. If they sent you a notice that your insurance has expired due to non-payment, sorry but it has. Even if they just sent you a notice that if you didn't send payment by x date and you missed that date you are still uninsured. Nothing you can do will change that. Facts are facts.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Riders and the law

First you broke to many laws for your insurance to pay... they will refuse.

Second, if your BMF is a trooper, he might lose his job also, because what he did was dumass

Third, find a rock, crawl under there and stay off the road... its safer under the rock and the road is not in your favor now, is it...

sorry about your predictament. hope you are less ignorant than you were before. PS. even the greatest challenges are tested in the human. There are no roads that are safe to play on.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,477 Posts
Well since this happened last Nov and has been dormant since then, they are either in jail or it has been resolved.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
..................... I do a 6 month insurance plan since I can't ride all year long. 2 months ago I moved to another city, closed out my bank account and created another one. I called the insurance company to let them know this and to switch the automatic payment to my new bank account. Things got mixed up and last months payment was charged to my old bank account, which didn't go through obviously, and my insurance policy was terminated a week and a half before the accident. I have called and called Allstate asking them to open up the policy. The BMV needs to see my insurance, or he could lose his license for 90 days. I have been stressing out and reliving the accident that happened for 4 days, and now I learn that he could lose his license for 90 days and add more bills on top of his medical bills. ..............
Must've been a pretty sight at the wedding..........all those stitches!!

Agree that any recourse would have been nullified by riding without Insurance (whether knowingly or not) and without proper gear.

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
--

You both screwed up. Maybe the fairest way is to let him cover all his penalties and you cover yours. The memories won't go away for a long time which will be punishment for both of you that you can't stop with some money changing hands.

I would avoid having any attorneys get involved. That will only cause ill will and cost more money. Remaining friends will help your future relationship.

--

^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
RonK said it best
Ed

·
Registered
886 Posts
Here in my home state of Maryland many years ago you used to be able to get insurance for six months of the year for a motorcycle while still having tags. Now if you don't have insurance the tags have to be turned in or you get a notification from the MVA and a possible fine. I can't speak about the laws in other states but isn't the possibility of someone taking a ride in the months when the insurance isn't in effect a reason for year round insurance? I had paid less than $400 dollars a year on two bikes then had a wreck( my own fault) now I pay over $1000 a year, but it is year round full coverage. OP do insurance companies in your area offer 12 month policies? Just an idea.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
In Ohio,if you have tags for a vehicle,you must have insurance on it. It can be sitting in a barn not being used and the state can do an insurance check and fine you. So you have to take time out of your life and turn in the tags on unused cars if you want to cancel the insurance.

IF you have a trailer and do not renew the tags because you are not using it,there is a penalty if you wait too long after the trailer tag expires. The only exception is a farmer because of seasonal use.

Sent from my bunker in the Peoples Republic of Ohio.

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
NYC lets you drop your motorcycle insurance for a few months, and keep the tags.
I checked out Geico, they wouldn't let me temporarily suspend the policy, then restart it. So I went with the company I have car and other insurance with.
A bit more per year, but I can suspend it for the winter (which saves plenty), then just call to reactivate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts