Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first bike I am building. The base is a BMW r100 (1983) which I am trying to turn into a cafe racer. I have decided on using slanted shocks (I know I will be sacrificing some handling for the aesthetics of slanted shocks). These usually go well with a solo seat, but I was kind of hoping to take a passenger sometimes (not for long distances). What would be the MINIMUM seat length I could get to have a ride passenger (they don’t have to fit comfortably because it is only occasional and for short distances).

·
Registered
775 Posts
Most of the cafe racer guys hack off the rear frame and most of the mudguard, no? If that were NOT the case, one could avail themselves of a removable pillion seat. I've seen them with magnets and suction cup mounts, like this:

My buddy, the Harley guy, calls them "P pads", but he doesn't think that that the "P" stands for "pillion". It was something to do with a cat, I didn't quite understand.

And, who hasn't folded their jacket in thirds, placed it on the fender behind their solo seat, and indicated that some young lady should "make themselves comfortable" for the short ride to her apartment?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm not really qualified to answer, but, ....

Our forum's sponsor offers a nice selection of seats suitable for cafe racers at reasonable prices:

I personally like the look of the Motone Rattlesnake Tail seat, flattish, and with enough length to seat a passenger: https://www.motorcycleid.com/motone/seat.html

Does away with the rear cowl, but to me that is mainly an affectation. A rear cowl pretty much eliminates any chance of seating a passenger. I have seen somewhere, a seat with a removable rear cowl and upholstery underneath, but this brings the problem of what to do with the cowl section when a passenger unexpectedly materializes.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Measure your tushy, have her measure hers, and you'll know how long a seat you need. Or, there's often an "or", measure yours and double it only if you think that would work. :unsure:

You might need to post a photo of the girlfriend, ah, just to be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts