Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wired up a set of dual horns today.

FIAMM Freeway Blasters.

The dual tone set is loud like a LOUD car horn. NOT loud like an air or truck horn. The tone is low like 1960's cars; I suspect drivers who don't see me will think there is an big ole Caddy or Buick next to them

The FIAMM's were given the thumbs up in the MC Consumer News review of horns.

I'm not dissatisfied, but I'm not impressed either. Wishing I'd tried a WOLO mini air horn but the Amazon reviews indicated they've had LOTS of DOA's, and in general don't last very long. Shouldn't horns last a lifetime???

http://www.motorcycleconsumernews-digitalmagazine.com/mcnews/april_2014d/?pg=28#pg28

ALL horns appear to be made in China now, and QC has gone to hell even on $100 Italian ones, if you read the Amazon reviews. All are black plastic or chrome plastic. I don't think you can even BUY a metal horn anymore.

Mounting was a real PITA, added a piece of angle steel to existing horn bracket, horn relay, 10AWG back to fused battery connection. Discovered my Kawasaki switches ground to the horn, not positive. As an EE I'll never understand why JAPANESE mfr's do this including Subaru. Why would you leave hot lying around ANYWHERE; that's asking for a short to ground when the circuit is NOT operating. If a fuse blows WHEN you operate a circuit (eg press the horn button) it immemdiately tells you ....this circuit has a short!

I need to take the front wheel off my bike to get in there clean it up and mummify all the wires/connectors/relay in electrical tape. Right now it's ugly as hell. It was a bear just getting it in there. Rubber grommets to reduce vibration, and pointed the horns down at an angle so any water that gets in 'em flows back out.

Mfr's all rate their horns (air OR elecgtromagnetic) around 130db; the problem is they all measure it 6" away from the megaphone and not six feet away or some consistent distance. So you can't trust the specs from ANY of 'em.

At least it's not that pathetic little horn Kawsaki put on this big, powerful bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Here..I recently purchased my first motorcyle..Honda CB360 Twin. Removed highway bars and rear rack. Want to switch my handlebars to drag bars..Query I'd like to purchase the correct one..Semi CareRacer dream...any recommendations with photos appreciated.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
ALL horns appear to be made in China now, and QC has gone to hell even on $100 Italian ones, if you read the Amazon reviews. All are black plastic or chrome plastic. I don't think you can even BUY a metal horn anymore.
If you want a metal horn go to a junk yard and get one off a car. It will work and it runs off a 12V system just like a bike horn.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I bought a $6 watch at walmart and ripped the band off of it, stuck it to the drink holder with double stick tape. Now I know how much time I have before having to call in sick at work on good weather days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts