Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed by this Clymer maintenance guide that I bought. For instance, it describes very well what I have to do to change the oil and the oil filter, but it doesn't tell me what kind of oil filter I should use. I could go with what's there already, but planes have been known to have life-threatening emergencies based on that kind of maintenance.
My bike is a 1983 Honda VT500 (why can't we have sigs, so I don't have to write that out each time?)

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
Go to your Honda shop and buy an oil filter. The friendly parts person will be glad to look up the exact filter you need.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Avoid Fram; pick up a Wix. If you don't have a MC shop nearby your local parts house can order them for you. Or you can order on-line - get enough for a year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the link Custom gave me recommends Purolator, Mobil, or Supertech. It lists WIX as available but not recommended.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I'm not sure what they use to classify the recommended ones. There may be slight differences in the filtering, but none of them will actually hurt your bike to use them in my opinion. If you keep the oil and filter changed at the proper intervals, your bike will last a long, long time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't have first hand experience with this, but I have heard that the filter element in a Fram can collapse and block oil holes in the metal casing. This is not good if it happens when installed on your bike.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I don't have first hand experience with this, but I have heard that the filter element in a Fram can collapse and block oil holes in the metal casing. This is not good if it happens when installed on your bike.
That's the word.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My bike is a 1983 Honda VT500 (why can't we have sigs, so I don't have to write that out each time?)
To answer this question, we had problems with people abusing them, so we cut them out (at least for now). If you want, I believe you can change your "title" (that appears under your avatar - "Member, Junior Member, etc."). You can just put your bike there if you want. I think that you can do this from your User CP link up at the top left of your screen.

As far as filters, I say Wix, but that is just my opinion (I am luck and have a reusable centrifugal filter :cool: )

Mike

·
Very Famous Person
9,874 Posts
--
The best filtration would be with Amsoil nanofiber filters. They filter finer than ANY other brand/type.

RonK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts