Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario: You have a choice of ANY motorcycle you want-FREE :biggrin: Which one would you choose? Bearing in mind that this will be your only bike and you'll have to live with your decision. This will be your LAST bike, so pick well:biggrin:

Mine would be: (I will have to really think about this.)

Years ago, I had just bought a new 1995 Ford F150 and left Hemet, CA for a break in run to Indio, CA, with a stop for breakfast. Every time I buy a new vehicle I do the Historic break in run as it's a tradition with me.

I was in the slow lane holding the pickup at 60 mph and enjoying the drive since it was very early, on a Saturday and no one was on Interstate 10, going east at 6:00 AM.

I saw another vehicle approaching from the rear, just a little faster than I was going and we waved at each other as he slowly passed me. He was driving his brand new Mercedes, top of the line, 2 seater 'SL' something!

Of course, I envied him for his new car, as it was absolutely beautiful and probably $50,000 even then and my F150 was the cheap 'work truck' model that I paid something like $12,000 cash for--this got me thinking:

If I could only have either his Mercedes or my Pickup, for the rest of my life, which would I choose?????

After much thought, I chose my Pickup because of it's utility and the ability to haul stuff and I went off-road a lot for competitive shooting and that Mercedes just sort of didn't look so good then.

So, which bike would be your faithful companion??

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Either a totally pimped out R1, flashed ECU, dyno tuned, and everything else. Or a red and white Ducati Monster 1200 S.

A friend of mine has a 2 seater SLS AMG, which has a V12 and a speedo of something close to 200.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,858 Posts
While I very well may be faced with this exact decision in another Year or Two I have 2 in Mind .. Either the Harley Ultra Limited or the Indian Roadmaster both very close in Price but I also have to consider the possible Age and Health Factor as well and then possibly a Trike Option comes into Play which would come down to a Harley Tri Glide or a Goldwing .. But as this is just sort of a would be could be thing if was asked right now have to do it today thing for Free and Last Bike will go with the Indian Roadmaster ..

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I am riding my choice but a 2015 in place of my 2013 Victory Vision might be nice. Of course I would want it all pimped out and with the right Lloydz performance parts on it. No cams for me but air cleaner and variable intake make sense at the lower RPM band where I actually ride. When it comes to pimping out a bike I really like black with contrast cut embellishments. Stuff like this really can dress up a plain Jane bike. http://buywitchdoctors.com/p/2752/victory-motorcycle-parts-shift-linkages-engine-components-cross-country-roads-hardball-motorcycles-square-dash-style-sc-299/
An old picture from before I started dressing her but it is only visible in the small details the changes I have made. I see it was even before my heel shifter install, my first mod.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
While I very well may be faced with this exact decision in another Year or Two I have 2 in Mind .. Either the Harley Ultra Limited or the Indian Roadmaster both very close in Price but I also have to consider the possible Age and Health Factor as well and then possibly a Trike Option comes into Play which would come down to a Harley Tri Glide or a Goldwing .. But as this is just sort of a would be could be thing if was asked right now have to do it today thing for Free and Last Bike will go with the Indian Roadmaster ..

If you get to that place where health is a concern you could always trike out that Roadmaster. Cheaper then buying a new scoot, I bet.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I don't know that I can honestly answer the question. I love my Explorer, but would also like to have a Scrambler, a Daytona, a Paningale 899, and a Street III. While the Explorer does most things really well, touring, light off road, twisties, in town zipping and is really comfy for my passenger (or at least that's what she tells me). I know that it does leave me wanting in some regard. (though not enough to get rid of her). Now if we're talking 4 wheels that's easy! A 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ just like the one I had to get rid of to get the ex a new car! Top down, doors off, the closest you can come to a bike! (Arntufun, no, it isn't a motorcycle just because I want to call it one!)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I'd love a Moto Guzzi California 1400, and fit it with a set of 45 Litre Givi hard panniers and a good sissy bar.

That way I'd have something I could take my missus with me and overnight on.

And I just love the way Moto Guzzi do things differently, they build a cruiser where the vee-twin sits across the frame and they make it handle as well.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would take another Victory Vision.

With the trunk on it's a great two-up touring bike.

With the trunk off it's a fun "day ride" bike.

The tip over protection could be helpful later also.

·
Registered
518 Posts
But but but, you can't take big cruisers off of pavement. ;)

I don't have an answer. I suck at just one and favorite questions. I can't even decide on what to buy next. Seriously considering buying two or three low cost bikes to avoid choosing.

·
Premium Member
6,536 Posts
Decision

But but but, you can't take big cruisers off of pavement. ;)

I don't have an answer. I suck at just one and favorite questions. I can't even decide on what to buy next. Seriously considering buying two or three low cost bikes to avoid choosing.
I would really like a Guzzi cruiser too. A good off road bike would be nice. But we had to pick one.

Unkle Crusty*

·
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, you probably have noticed that I haven't picked mine yet. If you like motorcycles then this is a difficult question: One and only one:confused:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Porky. it sounds like you have yet to find that one perfect ride for you. For me, I think my Vision is that ride, but that is after lots of very different bikes over many years.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I mostly use my bike around town and for short trips, mostly under an hour. I don't like heavy bikes and I prefer standards, so I have to say the Moto Guzzi V7. It's good enough for brief jaunts on the freeway and has a shaft drive, so no need to clean the chain. I'd probably would wait for the V7II, which has ABS.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
This is a tough one for me. because l am really big on looking and watching and researching so l can get the most bang for my buck. This year l bought my SV650 in great shape with low miles, and an older Toyota pickup in great shape with low miles (for its age) for a total of $6500...so when you say l could have any bike, my mind immediately goes to this place where it is wondering how much that really expensive Harley is and how many great bikes could l get for that amount of money?

When it all boils down, though, l would probably buy whatever l liked best after test riding a Kawasaki Concours (heart of a Ninja), a Yamaha FJR1300 (buttloads of factory farkles), and a Honda ST1300 (just like most Hondas, it does everything well). And maybe that GSX1250 Suzuki...don't know a thing about it, but every time l turn around l find myself on one :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts