Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the obvious anatomical answers, how is a female rider different than a male rider? There will be as many different answers as there are riders, but here are some generalities to think about.

Size matters
We tend to be smaller and not as strong as our male counterparts. We really have to think twice about bike fit to make sure we can control the machine and, yes, pick it up if necessary. Potential passengers could be bigger and heavier than we are, affecting bike control; this is the primary reason I rarely take passengers, unless it's an ATGATT kid for a little joyride.

Personal safety
Because of the nature of being on two wheels, all riders are more vulnerable. But we may be viewed by the criminal element as an easier target than a guy. Have you given any thought to all the personal safety options there are out there and what the best choice is for you? Like the song says, I believe most people are good, but I think we have to have our guard up a little bit when we're out riding by ourselves.

Gear
We all know what a bear it is to find clothes that fit us!!! Every manufacturer's sizing is different; riding gear presents the same problem. Because our shapes vary so much more than the guys' do (OK, so anatomy does come into play after all), we may end up compromising our safety by wearing ill-fitting gear. Where can we find the best gear options? Oh, and then there's the whole PINK thing.:ROFLMAO:

We're such... GIRLS!!
I'm soon to begin my 13th year teaching motorcycle classes. In my experience, female students in general (not ALL of them) tend to be a little more timid about learning to ride. We all learn at a different pace and that's 100% OK. Most of them pass the class. But I get feedback from some of my female students that the men in their lives who ride try to push them toward bigger bikes that they're not ready for, or are impatient with them because they're not comfortable taking the same risks. Usually the ones that are there only because their male significant other insisted that they learn to ride end up leaving by their own request or I have to counsel them out because of their inability to meet the objectives of the range exercises--probably because they don't want to be there in the first place. In spite of the last six decades of attempted sociological retooling to try to convince us that men and women are the same, we're actually still Mars and Venus like we've always been. Our male riding companions need to treat us as the individuals that we are.

· Registered
164 Posts
Ha, just stumbled onto this post after ranting a little in the pink thread. Yep, it's hard to find gear. I made the mistake of looking for "women's motorcycle boots" on Amazon. Oh my. Boots with 4" heels. Boots that lace up to my thigh. Boots that look very strange and took some time to realize they're high heels but with a wedge. Yikes. I'm looking just because I want a simple harness boot (because they look cool) with a flat sole (because the cleats on my hiking boots sometimes catch when I want to slide my foot forward on the peg to work the gearshift). It doesn't help that I'm old and overweight, manufacturers don't consider us real customers. I am happy with the plain leather vest I found. A half helmet came with the bike, so I'm using that for now, and searching for a good full face helmet.
And yes, we are different than the men and I'm glad for that and enjoy the differences. It's a shame modern culture wants to denigrate both men and women by trying to make them interchangeable.
Personal safety is on my mind now that I'm alone. I'm prepared, I'm angry, and I've got nothing left to lose so anyone who tries to tangle with me is going to get a surprise.
My bike is 400lbs. It has a low center of gravity and the one time I've had it out I felt comfortable controlling it. I'm pretty sure I could get it back up if I dropped it but definitely hope I never have to try. If we ever get a riding course available in the area I may take it just for the refresher. 30 years is a long time.

· Registered
525 Posts
Agree with you both on what was said. I'll add that as a riding coach I sometimes find it easier to teach women and girls as they tend to be a little more open to trying new things- minus the ego. Sometimes I run up against a little ego and frustration with men when they find out a female coach will be working with them. That can usually be squashed instantly when they see me ride but it's sometimes a struggle to be taken seriously. I find that on the track and street as well, it takes a bit more visual proof for people to believe in our skill level. Other than that, and what was said above, there really isn't much difference and I truly believe that in motorsport, women can be as competitive as men, against men. I raced AMA against men for two years back in 2007-2008. A lot of people asked me why there weren't more women riding at high levels and on the world stage and I said it was because we didn't start as little girls. Most world elite motorcycle racers started when they were 4 years old! I didn't get on a motorcycle until I was 24 and by the time I was racing Pro I was in my early 30's which is way past prime! If I had started riding at a young age I guarantee I would have been much more competitive. It's why we are starting to see women at the elite level now, because it is become more normalized and more frequent to have girls starting riding at a younger age with their brothers. When I take my kids to the track (Boy 13, Girl 10) there is often about 30% girls riding as well- this was never the case when I was racing. I have to refrain from even pointing out to my kids that there are "girls" there because they don't seem to think there is anything unusual about girls or women riding (which is perfect!) I taught my son to ride at 4 and my daughter to ride at 6.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.