Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what made your latest ride DIFFERENT from every other ride you've taken?

For me, today, what was different was the asphalt/paving. Cutting across Northern Arizona, from Gallup to Gamodo to Tuba city, I expected poorly maintained, rough, road.

The majority of the road was at least an 8, with long stretches of baby-butt smooth fresh asphalt rating a 10. Hit one single construction site, and not a single section of "bad road."

It reminded me of America in years gone by when roads weren't allowed to go to complete hell before they were repaved.

And this on Reservation roads, through the Navajo and Hopi areas, areas of great poverty, no less.

I have to admit to a bit of truly fantastic speeding on a couple of wide open stretches with 5 mile sight lines and brand new asphalt. Guilty!

There were some other things that made this ride different, like dozens and dozens of crows in the road early in the morning, a longhorn, several horses, and numerous rez dogs. I generally don't see animals on the roads I generally travel, well, not on the shoulders at least.

Apart from the fantastic scenery in Northern Arizona, almost total lack of traffic, it was the asphalt that I'll never forget on this ride.

How about yours? What was unique?

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Today

Rode along with a soft tail Sportster. Thing could do 90 mph. Who knew?
Think it was an 80 or 88 ci.
This is just like the bike Roy has in the Island bike gang. They seem to run and handle quite nice.

Unkle Crusty*

·
8,606 Posts
Those Crow's you saw according to the Ute's and Navajo's, are the Soul's of dead Indian's:biggrin:

I used to have many friends on the Ignacio reservation, below Durango as I rode from CA with my LEO bud's to handle crowd control for the yearly bike rally. I met and rode with Sen Ben "Knighthorse" Campbell, Peter Fonda and Lorenzo Lamas and met the UTE Chief:p

The Indian's I met and partied with were very nice people and their land was vast and beautiful. The entire area is like Heaven for biker's.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
My ride today was different because I had to ride around and then through all the roadblocks set up for the Pope visit to DC

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
That is a beautiful area, Wade. We rode through a bit north of there earlier this year but will probably explore a bit more next year when we have more time. A friend of mine lives in Red Mesa so we came down through Monument Valley and cut over to RM, and left going up through Cortez and over to Durango.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rode thru the Cuyahoga Valley National Forest today, it's a ride I frequently do in the morning, the roads a super smooth. Today it was 52 degrees when i got on the bike is was SPECTACULAR. Not a fast ride, but traffic was moderate and the Concours14 really shines in that cool morning air. I put the Cal Science windscreen full high and the bike changed tones...this thing is so quiet you'd think you were on an electric bike. Looking forward to the ride home however the traffic is always heavier from Cleveland back home to Akron...Oh well, my Aerostich suit has been laying on my leather work couch all day and should be well rested for the ride home, STAY SAFE and look out for the other guy!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I got a ticket for driving on the shoulder. That was different. First mc ticket. And it was an mc who gave it to me.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We went for a rare "night ride" yesterday evening, & that was pretty cool! It reminded me though that the headlight on my Raider is pretty dam weak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts