Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and I'm new in this field too, but I'd love to start taking some courses and start riding a motorcycle. The problem is that I don't know what kind would be suitable for me since I'm very big, 7 feet tall and 500+ lbs. I've tried to find some models that would do it for me, but it didn't work. Maybe you can help me with some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Have you taken the Basic Riders Course yet?? I strongly recommend you do that first, next, after completing the BRC, I would simply try different bikes as far as going to different dealers sitting on them, seeing how the controls etc. feel.
Thats really the best way IMO.
Ed

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Maybe a Boss Hoss?

One thing to look for, no matter what you choose, is that the axle and tire weight rating of the bike will be sufficient. Especially the front axle. This will be a safety concern. What you want to do is add up the combined weight of the bike, fuel and oil, and rider, and make sure the total vehicle weight rating as well as the front axle and tire weight ratings will support that. The reason is that when you brake you can have a large amount of weight transfer to the front wheel, in some extreme cases as much as 100%.

Now, manufacturers always err on the side of safety, so if the set up you decide on isn't too far off, don't panic. Just be aware of it and ride safely. Good luck!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Kawasaki Concours easily handles a larger rider with sufficient power and height.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think a 2013 Roadking may work. It may handle the weight, but not sure how comfortable the fit would be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Eye, Victory MCs have very large adjustments available for things like the distance to controls but they are close to HD in load capacity and are very large for a new rider. I ride a Victory and just love it but would not recommend it for a new rider. At 1731cc and close to 85 rear wheel HP it would be a bit too much for most new riders.
Given the OP's parameters, I would be looking for a bike capable of carrying your weight in the 650cc range.

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
Is there any bike that size with a 650?
I'd imagine my Vstar 650 could handle the 500 pounds (though it's got to be close) since people sometimes ride them 2 up with bags loaded but I can't see anyone 7 feet tall riding the thing, I'm 5'8" and I think I'm a bit cramped at times. I think he's going to need to get something bigger in a cruiser and be very careful in the beginning with the throttle, the extra weight wouldn't be so much an issue since it's in proportion to his size.

Given the OP's parameters, I would be looking for a bike capable of carrying your weight in the 650cc range.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

Another possibility is a trike. I mention this as many have large floorboards that allow more flexibility for legs and have no problem with heavier weights. As to bikes, for me, I liked my Goldwing because of the engine power, but hated the leg position. My Roadstar 1600 has less power, but is much more comfortable for long legs. The only sure way to tell is to sit on many bikes and see how they feel.

As to any bike not being suitable due to "too much power," that should not be any factor at all. To regulate power on any cruiser, all that's necessary is control of your wrist--your throttle restraint.

--

1 - 10 of 10 Posts