Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking on cycle trader at Valkyries.

some have suspiciously low mileage.
there is one listed as having flood danage..

yet others are priced, but have 40, 50, 60 70 thousand miles on them.

what kind of issues do you see in high mileage bikes?

worn rings?, carb overhaul...and so on...

risky purchases???

· Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,473 Posts
Really if it's a one owner bike and there are a good deal of service records the bike will be fine. Of course you have to really look at the bike...maybe even pay a shop to give it a good inspection. Low mileage vehicles I'm my experience oftey have more issues with leaking etc. Seals dry up, tires are old...high mile rides are often well cared for. My '09 HD Ultra Classic has almost 89k on it. I'd ride it across the country right now with no qualms or worry. Also, bikes/cars built in the last 20-25 years are significantly better that the stuff from the 70's etc as far as longevity. Motor rebuilds, rings etc are not the norm.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the bike that I like on cycle trader. It looks pretty. this is the cycle trader listing that I can't post here: cycletrader.com/listing/2001-Honda-VALKYRIE+GL1500C-5002397546

They don't list the mileage but include the image of the odometer...then the lump develops in your throat.
85k miles
about 5,000 miles a year.

what could be wrong with this bike...

I think I would pay a honda shop to check the engine compression, tires, drivetrain, electrical....and so on...

· Registered
1,473 Posts
It's hard to tell from an ad what if any issues there might be. Once you see it in person and get to have an in depth conversation with the owner you'll have a better idea.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this thing is in Olive Branch, MS...So I am guessing it is at that Honda dealership....I think I could fly to memphis and have the shop pick me up at the airport and I would drive it home to Northern VA. or I could just have it shipped to me.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
No freaking way I'd buy sight unseen on a used bike like this. You need to go lay your eyes on it and ride it. Just because it's a dealer doesn't mean the bike has been serviced or cared for. Put lipstick on a pig and it's just a dressed up pig.

It sounds like you might be a little hot and bothered about this particular unit. I'd say take deep breath and hold off and see what comes your way. Something easier to get to, that you can see without spending a bunch of money and time to get there. At that price it's not a steal either.
this thing is in Olive Branch, MS...So I am guessing it is at that Honda dealership....I think I could fly to memphis and have the shop pick me up at the airport and I would drive it home to Northern VA. or I could just have it shipped to me.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
The only problem with a one of those bikes really isn't mileage but general age and the ability to get parts. It's a Goldwing really and those engines are known for going 300k with good maintenance. But Honda is very poor about supporting their products past 10 years. If you are a good mechanic or have one in mind that can find parts, I wouldn't be afraid of any of them. But parts would be my only concern. I love the bikes myself. Always wanted one. It's a real shame Honda doesn't support their great machines.

· Registered
231 Posts
I just got mine last week I got it from a friend so I know the history. Mine is a 98 with ridiculous low mileage which is the reason he gave it up. I have put about 180 miles on it in about 3 days. It had only seen 300 miles in the past 10 years. The mileage that you mentioned is not high for these bikes they were built to ride and the motors can more then handle it. As mentioned the bikes with higher mileage would most likely maintained and in good shape sitting could be worse! My bike had a complete service about a year ago new tires rebuilt cards new fluids and it was running great then is sat for about a year and guess what it needed the carbs to be rebuilt yet again. $700 dollars later it was on a truck to NY. I really hope to find the time to keep this bike running great.
This is not like any bike I have ever ridden I hope you have had a chance to test drive one before you jump in. While it's a great bike it is huge and heavy make sure you understand it is every bit of 800 lbs and huge! I drives great smooth as can be but it is an up right position that not everyone finds comfortable but it you do you will love it!
Make sure the tires are fresh and the bike is running well before buying anything or you better be prepared to drop a couple grand into service that is what is cost last year to get mine back on the road.
Good luck and enjoy!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got mine last week I got it from a friend so I know the history. Mine is a 98 with ridiculous low mileage which is the reason he gave it up. I have put about 180 miles on it in about 3 days. It had only seen 300 miles in the past 10 years. The mileage that you mentioned is not high for these bikes they were built to ride and the motors can more then handle it. As mentioned the bikes with higher mileage would most likely maintained and in good shape sitting could be worse! My bike had a complete service about a year ago new tires rebuilt cards new fluids and it was running great then is sat for about a year and guess what it needed the carbs to be rebuilt yet again. $700 dollars later it was on a truck to NY. I really hope to find the time to keep this bike running great.
This is not like any bike I have ever ridden I hope you have had a chance to test drive one before you jump in. While it's a great bike it is huge and heavy make sure you understand it is every bit of 800 lbs and huge! I drives great smooth as can be but it is an up right position that not everyone finds comfortable but it you do you will love it!
Make sure the tires are fresh and the bike is running well before buying anything or you better be prepared to drop a couple grand into service that is what is cost last year to get mine back on the road.
Good luck and enjoy!
HUGE is the common comment. 800 pounds ....I am 5'8" 175 lbs. Hate to think what would happen....I have never dropped my CX-500 but that is about 500lbs....

what do you mean by being in an upright position?

I have worked on my CX over the years but I found many parts on ebay..

thanks for the response

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only problem with a one of those bikes really isn't mileage but general age and the ability to get parts. It's a Goldwing really and those engines are known for going 300k with good maintenance. But Honda is very poor about supporting their products past 10 years. If you are a good mechanic or have one in mind that can find parts, I wouldn't be afraid of any of them. But parts would be my only concern. I love the bikes myself. Always wanted one. It's a real shame Honda doesn't support their great machines.
Thank you...I know how well made HONDA bikes are, cars and planes and so on.....That Valkyrie is just beautiful.

· Registered
231 Posts
I paid $700 to Haul-Bike.com to ship my bike from CA to NY but I got the bike for free and again I got it from a friend and know the history of the bike since it was about a year old when he bought it. I was actually there I test drove it I even wrote the check for it when he bought it he was my business partner at the time. He is like family so when he decided the bike wasn't being used enough to keep it running well he offered it to me. I jumped at this.
The bike you posted the link to looks great but I will warn you I took a bunch of pictures of my bike when it got here I was trying to show how dirty it was and in need of TLC. All of the pictures made the bike look great it was actually hard to take a bad picture. The chrome on mine looked like **** but within a few minutes maybe hours the chrome cleaned like new! I will likely have to paint the saddlebags which also looked good in the pictures but have a bunch of scratches that can't be buffed out. I happen to have a friend with a body shop I will likely pull both bags and have the painted just to freshen up the bike it won't be a big expense.

While 82K miles should not be a big deal for the bike you found the price should reflect the mileage and frankly I think you could do better in fact I have seen several with much lower mileage for less money enough savings to afford a trip to check it out. Whatever you decide enjoy and be safe!

This is how my bike looked when it got here I'm my opinion it looked like ****.
[/url]
20180523_072725 by David Sokol, on Flickr[/IMG]

Several hours of cleaning later I have pretty happy with how it looked
[/url]
20180523_155401 by David Sokol, on Flickr[/IMG]

My point is pictures don't always tell the whole story you need to see it for yourself or at least someone you trust.
On the corvette forum people have asked others from the forum to do a precheck of cars they were interested in before making a trip themselves it may be worth asking someone here to stop by and take a look at a few bikes. We have a large coverage area of members with in the forum many/most have extensive knowledge and willing to share and help if they can.

· On The Road Again!
4,156 Posts
You would be amazed at the number of bikes of all types that are out there with very low mileage. People buy them maybe because it seemed like good idea at the time. Then they don't have time to ride them. OR...they are scared of riding them. And the bike just sits after that.
One friend of mine recently bought a '98 Goldwing with only 10,000 miles on it!!
That's only about 500 miles a YEAR!!!
We did all the necessary maintenance on it like changing the timing belts and he's loving it.
Another friend liked that one so much that he found a '99 Goldwing with 35,000 miles on it. Nothing wrong except for a few minor things that can easily be fixed.
Those guys will never wear those bikes out because neither of them will ride them enough to do so.
Don't worry about the low mileage, but DO look at it in person before buying.

I personally ride a '99 Goldwing with 85,000 miles on it. It belonged to a friend of mine who bought it new. He took some nice trips on it over the years, but never rode it enough because he has too many other toys, like a Corvette and a sailboat.
After giving me the '99, he bought a new 2016. Now coming up on two years old, the bike has just over 1,000 miles on it!! Are you kidding me?? I would have had 1,000 miles on that bike the first week I owned it!!

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
I have never understood why people buy a brand new bike and never ride it. I ride about half as much as I used to just because I'm old and get tired and still basically recovering from a motorcycle crash(going for a bone scan in a few weeks to try and figure out why I'm still in major pain). But even at that, mine 2 1/2 year old bike has over 25k on it. Why put that much money into a bike just to have it sit? Makes no sense at all.

· On The Road Again!
4,156 Posts
My thoughts too, Hog. That's a lot of money to spend on something you never use.
But there are a lot more of them out there than you would believe.
Then you have the "posers".
They buy a bike and all the gear and ride to the bar to spend the day hanging out, pretending to be a biker. But their bikes have no miles on them.
They would never THINK of actually GOING somewhere with it!!
There is a bar near me that I pass all the time. I see the same bikes parked out there all the time. They will be there when I leave for a ride, and still be there hours later when I come home.
Unbelievable!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.