Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maryland has had 12 confirmed cases, two are already cleared and healthy.

Governor has just announced:

The cruise ship port in Baltimore is closed until notice.
All Public Schools are closed for 2 weeks starting Monday the 16th
Catholic schools followed suit
All government buildings are closed to the public
Work from home recommended to all businesses in MD except service

I am sure that there is more but that is all I can remember from his announcement

Activated National Guard as well.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
One confirmed death here.
250 passengers off the California corona boat in quarantine 3 miles upwind from me.
I just can't catch a break around here

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I don't know what the state is doing, but apparently people around here think toilet paper will protect them from the China virus, like garlic will protect you from vampires.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Same as everything else. We are against this sort of thing and do our best to not let it happen. That means we may have to put up protest signs. Tho the front lawn is getting full. What with the no bridges, no tanker anchorage, no transporting fuel by ship or barge, no pipelines and so on. Victoria, 65 miles South on the big island, has reported one case earlier today. Many US cruise ships stop there. Earlier I calculated the odds of dying. Normal odds of dying during the next year, are one in one thousand. If 20% of the world wide population get the virus, that would be 200 folks per thousand, with a 2% death rate, that would be 4 people. The odds of dying become 5 per 1000 if you get the virus. The virus is mostly affecting folks with some kind of preexisting condition.
If we do get it on my Island, we will probably panic. However we have an excellent medical clinic here. But the whole Island could get quarantined, and that would be a problem.

UK

·
Registered
32 Posts
Schools are shutting down events and the people are generally dumb here in Missouri. I only say that because we ran out of toilet paper in a town of 2,000 people. I heard there was a case reported in Springfield (about 100 miles from me)

·
American Legion Rider
19,449 Posts
You mean the NO VIRUSes sign, specifically COVID-19, out front isn't going to work???

·
6,707 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
You mean the NO VIRUSes sign, specifically COVID-19, out front isn't going to work???
I am sure the signs will go up.
But meanwhile some good news. The Prime Minister's wife got it, so they are both staying home, and silent we hope. Nice of them to set an example.The PM is not too popular out west.
The Chinese restaurants are probably struggling on the mainland. We may have to go out for pizza, or Indian food. I am heading over next week. Shirley is returning from South America, so it will be an interesting trip getting home.

UK

·
Registered
104 Posts
here in NY, we've created virus free zones for people to gather in and stay safe.

just kidding, cuomo banned gatherings of 500 people or more (which i'm pretty sure is a violation of my first amendment right). oh, he's also having felons make hand sanitizer to sell.
nothing in rochester is closed although we had our first confirmed case yesterday. people are going bananas at the stores buying up everything. the wife was panicing yesterday that she wasn't able to get cleaning supplies so i took 2 of the kids, had the oldest sniffle and cough then tell me she doesn't feel good and i said in no hushed tone "shh, i know, keep your voice down. we need to get these things before they quarantine us." some old lady overheard, ran to a store employee and told them, again in no hushed tone, and people started abandoning their carts and leaving. anywho, wife got to pick anything she wanted from their carts so all in all, a good day.

i don't understand the commotion. i'm pretty sure the media is liable for inciting panic and should be sued. the mortality rate of people 50-59 is 1.5%. for people under 50 it's 0.3%. for people of any age without preexisting conditions, it's 0.9%. 89% of reported cases have mild to extremely mild symptoms. this isn't a bad virus. there's panic for nothing. the current overall mortality rate of 3.5% is due to there being so few cases and most of those in countries with poor healthcare. as it spreads in europe and the us, that rate will fall dramatically.

anywho, everyone just calm down

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
The news is making me feel sick.
The Feds are considering closing the borders. Shirley flies home on Sunday. Eek.
Apparently seniors have a double whammy. The threat of death from the virus, but if you don't die, no money from shrinking investments.
Oh darn, what to do.
I just ordered building materials to start work on the foundation for the new cottage. Neighbor Doug will be here, as all travel to Europe has been ill advised.
Now he has something else to do. Help me, and with any luck his daughter can be the chief cook. She will be if they close the restaurant where she works.

More cheery news. I passed the exam to be a ham radio operator. Just barely passed as I did not have much time to study.
Ordered a hand held radio yesterday.

UK

·
6,707 Posts
"More cheery news. I passed the exam to be a ham radio operator. Just barely passed as I did not have much time to study.
Ordered a hand held radio yesterday." Krusty quote.

Congrat's my Friend and 73's.

Sam

KF6GUW

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
I am VA7MCX MC is my initials, I do not have a middle name. MC is also motorcycle and Morse code. My range will be limited until I set up a unit on the boat, using the back stay as an antenna.
It is a single wyre bout 40 feet long. There is a repeater in the US South West that should cover most of the South I think. We often run out of cell phone coverage on the boat, and the boosters are too much $$$. We get good range with the marine radio, as the antenna is about 45 feet above the puddle.

UK

·
6,707 Posts
UHF-VHF works fantastic over the water! Only thing better is a light plane at maybe 5,000 feet, with a vertically polarized under wing antenna.

My latest hand held is a Yaesu FT-60R, amongst 3 or 4 others I have layin' around. I believe it's 5 or 6 watts.
My latest base 2M-440 is a Yaesu FT-2900 with 65 Watts.

Ham radio is a fantastic world wide hobby and works wonders in emergencies.

Enjoy.

Sam

·
Registered
416 Posts
In Ohio, all public schools are closed. Gatherings of more than 100 people are banned. I just got an email from one of the large public library systems near me that they are closing this Sunday for 3 weeks. I fear that the cure is going to be worse than the disease.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Feds have suggested no one travel to Europe. Neighbor Doug now has a good defense for his daughter. Feds have closed airports to a select few for incoming overseas folks. But they did not say which ones. Brilliant. I will assume Vancouver or Abbotsford will be okay for Shirley arriving on Sunday. Abbotsford is inland from VCR, and is a back up in case of fog or accident or returning rugby teams.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Pres is banning all travel from Europe in a few days. The only exception is flights from the UK. Now you can get flights or trains from anywhere in Europe to the UK, so I really don't understand how that is going to do anything.

·
American Legion Rider
19,449 Posts
I'm sure if Texas on the state level is doing much but at the town level things are getting cancelled right and left. Maybe families will actually have to entertain themselves and talk to each other for a change.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts