Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ABS thread got me thinking about motorcycle traction control. Anyone here have a bike with traction control? What do you think. Is it worthwhile technology for a bike?

I know in the cars I've owned with traction control, successful implementation can vary wildly. For example, I had a Chrysler minivan with traction control that worked perfectly and I never felt the urge to turn it off. I also had a 2013 Ford Fusion with traction control that made it nearly impossible to take off in icy conditions as it would over intervene. To make matters worse, I had to go through an f-ing menu to disable it. Nothing worse that being stuck at an intersection during rush hour and having to find my way through a menu to get my car moving! Is it the same with motorcycles? Are there some bikes with great traction control and some that just don't get it right?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
As with anything, good tread on any tire is the best traction. I don't understand how/what traction control is an how it works. I have no clue how it would work on a bike. I had it in my 09 Suzuki car. The light would come on shortly after I had felt my tires start to slip (not locking up like abs, but like on snow). I get confused as how it differs from AWD/4WD. Even with the best snows I could put on that car, it worked better as a snow plow than it did as a vehicle. Got stuck at work for 3 days during our feb blizzard, it couldn't even get out of its own parking spot... Didn't like snow. The best vehicle I owned as far as winter weather driving, was my Chevy Tracker..that sucker went anywhere!!

·
8,604 Posts
From what I've read, TC is fantastic for the safety factor under certain conditions and on certain bikes and even the Pro's that test these bikes with TC praise the benefits.

If the Macho Man in you doesn't like the idea remember that the feature can be turned off at will.

The first time I rode my new Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster in a sudden "cloud burst" type rain storm, I was concerned that with the most low end and top torque of any production motorcycle,(163 ft lbs @ 2,500 rpm's) that I would have to be super careful, with losing traction, sliding out and ending up on my plump rear end! It was no problem--it's all in the right wrist:biggrin:

This feature if turned on will mostly eliminate the front end from coming up unexpectedly. (The newest and most powerful Ducati will do this at 140 mph or so it is reported in the tresting magazines)

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've had it in several cars, but not on any of my bikes. Honestly, I don't recall it ever coming into play on any of the cars... maybe I drive like a weenie.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's funny. I started this thread about traction control on motorcycles and I completely forgot that my wife's bike has traction control! I don't ride her bike very often, but next time I'm going to have to purposely get it to kick in.

·
8,604 Posts
My 2015 Taurus SEL, my 2010 Grand Caravan and my 2009 Dodge Ram, 4x4, 400HP Hemi all have sophisticated traction controls integrated into their ABS and their engines throttle systems along with lane control, curve control and the new Taurus has front and rear cameras that apply the brakes to avoid a front collision or back-up damage.

Without the traction control switched on, my Pickup is a real tire smoking, high performance bad boy:biggrin:

On some of the very high performance cars available now a switch can be toggled to limit horsepower to about 25 to 50% so the Kid or the Valet can't burn your tires off while you aren't aware.:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I would not have any issue with it being on a bike I own. Now, as for cages, seems it cannot be turned off on them. That can truly suck in the winter when you have to get the car up a small slope in the snow. (seen more than one car that was unable to make it, but an identical car without TC made it just fine.)

·
8,604 Posts
The traction control can be turned off in all of the aforementioned vehicles I own.

Driving through deep snow in my pickup is really weird. You can floor the accelerator and when the TC kicks in it limits rpm to maybe 1,500 maximum and it sounds like the engine is cutting out, which in essence it is.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Traction control will also stop you from getting your car out of a parking spot in the snow (pssst Zippy!) Turn that OFF when trying to get out of your spot in the snow!

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I would not have any issue with it being on a bike I own. Now, as for cages, seems it cannot be turned off on them. That can truly suck in the winter when you have to get the car up a small slope in the snow. (seen more than one car that was unable to make it, but an identical car without TC made it just fine.)
My Mustang has TC, and a little button to turn it off. It's never "saved my ass", per say, but it's proven beneficial, at least, during icy or watery conditions.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to work on a bike, though. Like...what does it actually do?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Different manufacturers have different ways to go about it. Some compare wheel speeds front and back and will either retard the spark or shut down the injectors if one wheel is not going the same speed as the other.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Traction Control on my F-150 is TERRIFIC!!

-Soupy

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of electronic driving aids, but I could see it being useful - especially for folks who push the boundaries when riding. I guess I wouldn't mind it if I had the option to turn it completely off.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I believe most bikes that have it have a way to turn it off.

It's not something I would be interested in, since I don't push the envelope that close to the edge and like to leave a lot of traction in reserve.

It's a decent idea for cars that drive in the winter, because you pretty much are always at the traction limits on snow and ice.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Interesting video - I expected a bit more drama when the TC kicked in. Really a non-issue. (Ignore the legality and wisdom of doing this test on public roads..)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts