Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What inspired you to take up riding?

Did you see easy rider as a kid and decide you wanted to live that experience? Was it a romantic interest that drew you in? Did you meet some mud-encrusted BMW rider on a side road in Kansas during a 35 degree (F) rainstorm and see 500k on the odometer and decide to become a moto-nomad? Was it Valentino Rossi? Or maybe an add for skinny jeans with a cafe racer in the foreground?

Most of us can probably trace this obsession to some triggering image or inspiration that influenced the kind of life we wanted to live. What is yours?

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
A kid in the neighborhood had a Rupp mini bike that I got to ride a few times. I LOVED IT!
But my father didn't and he wasn't going to buy me one.
So I had to wait a couple of years until I could get my license
and buy a Honda 90. I was hooked!
But what really set the hook was......
A year later, a TV show called "Then Came Bronson"
starring Michael Parks, about a guy who set out to travel
the country on his motorcycle. I watched every episode
and I've been riding ever since.
This summer marked 50 years on two wheels for me.
Over 300,000 miles and 14 bikes so far.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I have an adoration for vehicles and desire to experience as many as possible. Motorcycles are only the natural progression of that. Soon enough I'll get into aircraft and watercraft. :)

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda" was probably what got me into riding. That ad came out shortly after the Hell's Angels were becoming infamous themselves. I thought I might be one of those "nicest" ones since I knew I'd never be able to afford or steal a Harley.

It didn't work out that way though if you got the opinion of others I suppose. I did have a friend who rode a full dressed Harley and a grandfather who raced Indians and a bother-in-law who rode a chopper. Any one might have been the key. But I'd have to say that Honda advertisement did play a big roll.

I suspect it did for many but won't admit it. Preferring something more rugged or romantic as their inspiration. I know that ad did get me to go rent a tiny Honda for the day with a buddy of mine. And that was the first of many I was on after.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
I have been on two wheels for many years well into my 40s in fact, so moving on to two wheels with a motor between my legs, was a natural migration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rode a Honda Monkey from age 15 to 18; then I bought a car and forgot about motorcycles/mopeds for a while until I met my current boyfriend two years ago (I'm now 24 years old). He rides a KTM 690 supermoto. I watched him ride for one summer and after that I decided to upgrade my moped driving license to a motorcycle license. As soon as I got the license I bought my first "bigger" bike: Honda CB500F.

I guess my love for riding that little Honda Monkey didn't ever wear off and just needed a little push and help from others to start riding.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda" was probably what got me into riding. That ad came out shortly after the Hell's Angels were becoming infamous themselves. I thought I might be one of those "nicest" ones since I knew I'd never be able to afford or steal a Harley.
This applies to me as well. I was 14 years old when the first "Frankie and Annette" beach movies came out and Eric Von Zipper was definitely not a Harley riding Hell's Angel. Heck, I think he went from Brit bikes to Honda's and he was funny. I had already learned to ride on my brother-in-law's Sears Allstate 175 aka Puch "Twingle". Then my dad found a Honda 50 Super Sport aka C110 in a friend's garage in pieces. He bought the frame and bushel basket of parts for $50 and asked my brother-in-law to assemble it for me. My part of the price was to help him assemble it -- which was kind of like "throwing Br'er Rabbit into the brier patch.

At about the same time my friends started getting their Yamaha's, mopeds (the real ones with pedals) and mini bikes powered by Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engines. Yeah, we were a real dangerous gang that actually made Eric Von Zipper look mean. Picture the movie, The Sandlot, with all the kids on tiny, beat-up, motorized two-wheelers and you get the picture. That was well over 50 years ago and most of us are still riding today. :grin:

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I have been on two wheels for many years well into my 40s in fact, so moving on to two wheels with a motor between my legs, was a natural migration.
And now you are back to the equivalent of a bike with training wheels. Going full circle. :grin: :devil:

·
Registered
72 Posts
My mother and step-father started dating in 1976. He had a dirt bike and took me for a ride. I was too small to sit on the back, so I sat on the gas tank and put my feet on top of the cylinder head and held onto the cross bar. Best day ever!

I was really small as a kid, and couldn't wait until I was bigger so I could ride on my own. He got me a mini-bike a year or so later, then dirt bikes as a teenager. Once I had a license, I got a street bike and have been at it ever since.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was in college and looking for some cheap transportation. At least that was the excuse I used, but I can distinctly remember an incident when I was in high school. I lived in the outskirts of St. Louis near route 66 (this was in the late 50's). I was getting gas for my mom's car late at night at a station on 66 when two guys on a motorcycle pulled up to the pumps. The bike had a California license plate and something about the adventure of riding a motorcycle two-up from California stuck with me. Although I didn't know anything about motorcycles, the picture in my mind was so vivid that I later realized the bike was probably a Harley Sportster.

There seems to a trait in some people that makes riding so appealing. I've know several that tried it and quit early on, and others like myself that can't quit.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I don't know if any one thing inspired me. I have always loved things with wheels and engines, since a kid. Growing up I started with hot wheels cars, then when old enough I had minibikes and ATVs. It was just a natural evolution. To this day, be it a bike, a truck, or a riding lawnmower, I want it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,671 Posts
The Honda add may have had something to do with it as my first bike was a cb160 :) But I think the biggest influence was when my brother came home from school for Christmas with a "Wild One" biker leather jacket. He didn't ride and I didn't care about the lifted blue suede shoes, but I wanted that jacket.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
I had already had an old 'PUCH' 2 stroke 125cc, hardtail ragged streetbike that I rode in the dirt with in 1961. It was maybe a 1958 SEARS Allstate product. I was 14 at the time.:surprise:

When I had just turned 15, I went to a Little league baseball game and a friend that was in the game, rode up on a new Honda 50 step through CUB amd asked me if I wanted to ride it aound the parking lot while he was playing in the game??? Yeah Baby:wink2: I rode that bike in 2nd gear around that parking lot maybe a million times and smiled the whole time:smile_big: After that I tested positive for the insidious and incurable 'Motorcycle' virus:surprise:

When I reached 15 1/2 years old my Folks bought me a new Honda C110, the 50cc, 4 speed manual shift, tank between the legs variant of the world famous CUB:smile_big:

I am now at my 85th motorcycle, which is my 2014 Honda CTX1300D:kiss:

I also ride my 2016 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom and a 2007 Suzuki 650 Burgman.:smile:

It's a fun little addiction:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
My high school job was in a local (dive-ish) bar and grill that a lot of local bikes used to hang out at. I liked watching the burnouts and such - fun stuff!

But, it wasn't until college that the bug really bit hard. The summer after my freshman year I stayed on campus - my friend/neighbor had an old 74 CB550 four under a tarp back there. It was a wreck but something about it flipped a switch in my brain then - I NEEDED a bike! It took me a year to save up for it (a whole $300 dollars) but I bought my first bike, a 77 GS400, a year later.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
384 Posts
My father rode and would take me on rides starting when I was prably about 6. He would put me in front of him and have me hold onto the center of the handlebars while he drove around town. My older brother also rode. I also grew up a block from a Honda dealership and as a kid would visit it often dreaming of the day I would be able to ride one of those awesome machines.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My inspiration started when I was a Kid. During the summer school break in 1975, I rode my bicycle up to the local motorcycle shop to apply for a summer job (Lovengreen Motorcycle Sales in Tampa), I was 14 years old at the time. I walked up to the parts counter and I asked the man for a job. To my surprise he said, you have to talk to the owner Big John over there in that office. The whole front of his office was all glass and it overlooked the sales floor and the parts counter. Big John Lovengreen was a big round man, kind of an intimidating type. So I went over and knocked and he waved me in.

I told him that I was looking for a job for the summer and he asked me, what do you know about motorcycles? I said that I had a 1972 3.5 HP Montgomery Wards mini bike and that I could fix anything on it that needed fixing. He said to me, I'll tell you what kid, if you can make it through the summer without missing a day, and without being late, I wont pay you any money, but I'll let you pick out any motorcycle up to 250cc. So all summer I cleaned the bathrooms, swept the floors, cleaned the parking lot, emptied garbage cans, cleaned and organized the parts room and did any other grunt work type of chore that they saw fit. On my last day there, Big John let me pick out a Kawasaki 250 Enduro street/trail, I had never been so happy. I was the coolest kid in the neighborhood because I was the only one who had a real motorcycle. I've been hooked on riding ever since.

Reactions: BWB75

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
I told him that I was looking for a job for the summer and he asked me, what do you know about motorcycles? I said that I had a 1972 3.5 HP Montgomery Wards mini bike and that I could fix anything on it that needed fixing. He said to me, I'll tell you what kid, if you can make it through the summer without missing a day, and without being late, I wont pay you any money, but I'll let you pick out any motorcycle up to 250cc. So all summer I cleaned the bathrooms, swept the floors, cleaned the parking lot, emptied garbage cans, cleaned and organized the parts room and did any other grunt work type of chore that they saw fit. On my last day there, Big John let me pick out a Kawasaki 250 Enduro street/trail, I had never been so happy. I was the coolest kid in the neighborhood because I was the only one who had a real motorcycle. I've been hooked on riding ever since.

Wow! That was very nice of him!

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
I don't think it was the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" ad, my buddy Brad Reed had a few Harleys, Sporty's I think.
that did it. I was working full time at at textile mill in Barrowsville, Mass. and had some $$ saved up somewhere around 75 or 76
I decided I hadda get a bike and saw an ad for a 1971 SL-125 Honda, Dad took me an my brother Mark out to North Attleboro, not
far from route 1 and took a look. It was a nice bike with knobby's and street legal, no starter just a kick job but that bike sent me
into the great hobby of riding, both dirt an street. A year later I bought a bran' spankin new Honda CL-360 Cruiser, rode for about
8 years, . Life changes, jobs and meeting a fine woman I'd be married to, I gave up riding for a while as I needed some dead green
presidents.

Love and happiness was with me an my wife for 25 years till she passed away in Spring of 2010 and after two years of pining for her,
I decided it was once again time to get a bike between my ass an the asphalt . It was so what I needed to do, this time it was a
Harley, a Sporty 1200. 3 yeas later and longer trips I went for a Wide glide, so glad I got back into riding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts