Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not worried about death but I certainly dont want to become a burden to my family by becoming a cripple, losing an arm or leg, etc. Id rather the end be fast and quick. What scares you the most because of the texters, facebookers, etc while they drive if they hit you? I honestly want a fast and painless end without even knowing about what happened. Im sorry if this post sounds morbid but we have to be realistic. I dont have any wife or kids and my mom would be okay after my demise. I just dont want to be a burden to anyone.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
Real simple for me to answer that now. It's will my ankle, when I put my feet down at a stop, not give me so much pain that I pull back and allow the bike to fall over. Yep, nothing to do with actually riding, just stops. It's a real concern I have making me not ride and looking seriously at trikes or trike conversions. Certainly not what you thought you might see but it's where I am.

·
On The Road Again!
4,212 Posts
I don't think about it much, but pretty much the same as you.
Fear of being crippled or paralyzed.
But....
You can't go through life being afraid of everything.
So I just don't think about it.

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
If it starts I go. No fears.
Many tell me about the danger of riding in the cities, and that is why they quit. Any excuse is as good as the other IMO.
I ride in the same places, and have no concerns. So it is a reflection of how folks ride, that determines the outcome.

I should add. Why would or should, I be anymore concerned about riding, as I am in the cage.

UK

·
Zip
2,523 Posts
My biggest fear is becoming complacent and inattentive. It happens occasionally and it scares me to death when I realize I've been riding for a minute or more without really paying close attention to my surroundings. Most accidents are preventable. That car that comes blasting into the intersection seemingly out of nowhere? If I'm paying close attention all the time maybe I'll notice it and take action instead of letting it ram me. That rock or piece of wood or other obstacle that suddenly appears from under the car in front of me while I'm riding at 70 mph? Maybe if I increase my following distance I'll have plenty of time to avoid hitting it. And so and and so forth. If I'm not being attentive I'll miss these things and set myself up for trouble.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
What scares you the most because of the texters, facebookers, etc while they drive if they hit you? I honestly want a fast and painless end without even knowing about what happened. Im sorry if this post sounds morbid but we have to be realistic.
Absolutely the sorry state of most drivers. I know many of us have ranted before but it truly is maddening to see and deal with the amount of literal retardation on the road. Apparently, the passing lane is the new slow lane, most new cars/trucks no longer have blinkers, and being aware of what the f--k your car is doing is completely optional. Hell, it's not uncommon to see sheriff's deputies staring at their screens while patrolling...

Here is a good vid on keeping a realistic mindset and it is something I strive for...

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
I’m glad he made that video. Before I ever considered riding I got to see a guys brains outside his melon where it didn’t belong. As a volunteer firefighter we see the reality of the real world of biking. It is dangerous and getting more so daily with inattentive drivers and some of them drunk. You whole process of riding today is defensive riding more than pleasure riding. So yeah, I’m glad this link is up. I have never seen it before and he hit it home. Every new rider or anyone thinking about riding should watch it. If it just makes you more attentive as a rider it will help. Not to scare anyone but to help them.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I watched some of it, will finish later. What I saw so far, is a bunch of rider error from I will assume is inexperience.

UK
Yes, that is probably the biggest take away from almost all the motorcycle crash videos I've seen or experienced myself, i.e. I've found myself getting royally pissed off at someone, only to realize "Well, maybe if I hadn't been traveling <insert any number between 10 - 60 here> over the limit... :eek:

·
Ace Tuner
3,557 Posts
What is your biggest fear realistically when you get on that bike?

Fear?
No Fear ! If you're scared... stay off the bike. Fear will get you killed.

No disrespect intended folks.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
What is your biggest fear realistically when you get on that bike?

Fear?
No Fear ! If you're scared... stay off the bike. Fear will get you killed.

No disrespect intended folks.
Insert WORRY then. A good discussion about those considerations is healthy.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I don't worry about getting hurt or killed. If I worried about that, I wouldn't ride. Can it happen? Sure it can happen, but I could be the safest rider on the highway, and still wind up buying the 4 X 6 farm.

There's plenty to think about when riding, but if I started worrying about everything, it would probably stop being fun and I'd quit.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
it would probably stop being fun and I'd quit.
And that is a reality that many find themselves. I just think fear is the wrong word to use. Maybe...what do you respect the most...or something like that. I certainly don't fear dying so riding a scooter is nothing. Pain, yeah, that I might worry about but not really sure I'd notice any more than I have right now should I crash AGAIN. I do work hard at doing that.:) :) :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
I've never been concerned about other drivers. Retiring after 40+ years of OTR truck driving, I've learned to ride at least 1/2 a mile ahead of me, while keeping aware of my immediate surroundings. Generally I'll know what other drivers are going to do even before they do. Every driver has a 'Tell'. Edging towards the right line? Watch for a lane change. Movement of hands on the steering wheel? Expect something out of the ordinary. Stopped at a stop sign? Eye contact is great, but watch for body movement. Slowing down? Left or right turn, or possibly taking an off ramp. There are many other 'Tells' that I don't think about. It's just something you develop.

I really have no fears or concerns about getting in a wreck. At my age, if I do get in a wreck, I won't have to worry about being injured.

·
Very Famous Person
10,004 Posts
--

I see it as the necessity of always being alert for the negative possibilities around me and hope I react correctly to the circumstance. As to what concerns me the most about the physical part of riding, it would have to be tipping over. As I've gotten older, the fear of falling has been coming on more each year.

--

1 - 20 of 102 Posts