Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Honda CBR954RR. It has 2,209 miles on it. I put 10 of those miles on it test riding last couple days. Here's my problem. The Bike was, has not been ran since 2006. I changed the fuel pump, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, front brakes, air filter and topped it off with a new battery. when I drained the oil it had fuel mixed into it, probably from the gas that sat in it all that time. after installing fuel pump the bike started right up. sounded crappy running. I gave it a test ride and it was responding at first now the power is low. I'm leaking gas from where the pipes meet the engine. you can smell the gas it's running so rich. Now I don't think it's a head gasket as my coolant is fine there is no white smoke. but after speaking to local mechanic I found out my pipes aren't all hot. after cleaning fuel injectors myself and changing the oil again along with another pair of new spark plugs. I managed to get one of the two pipes hot, the other was still Lukewarm. after shutting bike off then on again. both cylinders stay cold again. the bike is idling crappy. Do I need my injectors professionaly cleaned, or is it something else. The biggest thing Ive noticed is that during those test rides I've put in two fuel tanks of gas and got 11 miles she's empty right now because I don't wanna change the oil again. what would cause your bike to run that rich? and everybody says compression test. ok and if it comes back fine then what is the problem. if it comes back low what is the problem. I'm trying to figure out if its something I can afford to fix seeing as Invested all the money on purchasing the bike. some body said power band. is that a possibility?

· Registered
231 Posts
Check your oil again the fuel is going somewhere.
You may have a bag petcock.
Are you turn the fuel off when you are not using it?
Does the petcock have a vacuum hose that connects to the petcock?
be very careful about starting the bike right now you may have a hydrolock situation and can damage the engine if you try to start it.

· Gone.
14,767 Posts
Start with the basics. Your engine needs three things to run: Fuel / air mixture, spark at the right time, and compression. From what you're saying I'd suggest doing a compression test first. That will give you an indication of what the problem might be, which could be bad rings, a hole in a piston, damaged valves, and so on. If the compression is good you can move on to other things. If it's not good there's other things you can do to narrow down what the problem might be and then decide if it's worth fixing.

· Registered
231 Posts
I strongly suggest you pull the plugs before you crank it over or attempt to start it.
you may find a lot of fuel in one or more cylinders. You could damage a rod if you try to start it.
If you pull the plugs and crank it you may find a stream of fuel shoot out of the cylinder be prepared for this you may want to put a rag over the cylinders as not to shoot gas across your garage like I did a week ago.
If you have no fuel in the cylinders or the oil the as mentioned above I would check compression.
With the low mileage you mentioned I wouldn't expect bad rings or a hole in a piston but stranger things have happened!

Bad fuel is usually the problem lack of use and **** gas is never a good combo!

· Registered
24 Posts
...If you pull the plugs and crank it you may find a stream of fuel shoot out of the cylinder be prepared for this you may want to put a rag over the cylinders as not to shoot gas across your garage like I did a week ago....
I can attest to this. I was probably 13 and checking the spark on my 75 or 125 dirt bike. Kick start was stripped so it was push start only. Go to push with my head leaning over to check the spark that also just happened to be laid across the open spark plug hole. A little push and popped the clutch and you guessed it, good spark and a flooded cylinder resulted in a lot of burnt hair and a trip to the ER.....fun times :eek:

· SUPER MODERATOR
7,681 Posts
You will ruin the engine very quickly if you run it when it is VERY rich:surprise: The unburnt fuel washes down the cylinders and any oil mixes with the gas and ends up in the crankcase.:plain:

A fuel injected bike shouldn't flood the engine with fuel? It's like the fuel pump is pumping fuel to the injectors regardless of throttle position or if the engine is running or not??

Maybe a trip to the Honda dealer is in order. That bike is a classic, with low miles and it's to good to ruin!

Sam:grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.