Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2015 Honda CBR500R.
I just looked over my bike and found this fluid compartment which is very very low, I didn’t know it was this low because I assumed it was filled when I bought the bike from the previous owner. This is located underneath the seat, behind the engine.
I am going to drop off the bike at a shop next week to do an oil change and I’m going to ask them to check everything over, but I just wanted to know what this is since I’m trying to learn more about my bike. Here’s a pic of the area, thank you.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
26 Posts
Yep. That's the coolant overflow tank. Losing coolant is rare, so when the tank gets low like that the first suspect is that the black rubber hose is leaking either at the hose clamp or from a small crack in the hose. Now comes the fun part, the other end of that hose is connected to the radiator and may be hidden under the gas tank.

If you don't see any water leaking from this hose, ride the bike till warm and notice whether the water level in that tank is higher. Park the warm bike with a piece of cardboard on the floor underneath it and watch it for 5-10 minutes to see if coolant is dripping onto the cardboard or onto the engine. Just a little drip drip while hot can empty that overflow tank in a few days.

If I'm looking at the right model, this is how you add coolant:
Take his advice to use Honda premixed coolant seriously. You want to maintain the 50/50 anti-freeze/water mixture, and buying premix is the easiest way to do that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2018 CB500x. Owner's manual says to check the coolant overflow tank when the bike is cool and level. Fluid level should be between the upper and lower marked ridges. According to owner reports, often a new bike has a low coolant level in the tank. Perhaps because the factory fills the tank to the proper level before all of the air in the system has been purged, so the some coolant is sucked into the system.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My bike is a 2015 Honda CBR500R.
I just looked over my bike and found this fluid compartment which is very very low, I didn’t know it was this low because I assumed it was filled when I bought the bike from the previous owner. This is located underneath the seat, behind the engine.
I am going to drop off the bike at a shop next week to do an oil change and I’m going to ask them to check everything over, but I just wanted to know what this is since I’m trying to learn more about my bike. Here’s a pic of the area, thank you. View attachment 64431
Chances are you didn't get the owners manual from the previous owner. I guess people throw them away because they never look at them, or think of it as a souvenir..........get a owners manual

Oil, coolant, it will tell you to check with bike level....... don't panic, usually a 2X4 under the side stand will hold it up
level, you don't have to have another person.

My 750 needs 3.5 in lift on the side stand, I use a concrete slab framed with 2X4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts