Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only ridin' a few times in the last few years and do not have a cycle out here or know anyone out here. I am currently looking at an '81 Honda CX500 on sunday that is looking like I'll get. This is all for Colorado, but if anyone knows how it all works no matter where you are, that'd be great. I'm sure if I had the time to take the MOST safety training course I'd learn it all, but I just don't have the time now.

I know thus far that I have to pass the basic eye, physical capability, etc tests as well as a written and a driving test. If I were to go in and take the written test before I even owned a bike, how do I go about training on one for my driving test? Am I legally supposed to have someone licensed over 21 observing or do I get a temporary permit to practice or what? I just want to know how I can practice on the bike for the test and how/if I can drive my ride to the test or if it has to be trailered in.

I Just need HELP...Any info about taking my test is GREATLY appreciated.

C

·
0 Posts
I know thus far that I have to pass the basic eye, physical capability, etc tests as well as a written and a driving test. If I were to go in and take the written test before I even owned a bike, how do I go about training on one for my driving test? Am I legally supposed to have someone licensed over 21 observing or do I get a temporary permit to practice or what? I just want to know how I can practice on the bike for the test and how/if I can drive my ride to the test or if it has to be trailered in.

I Just need HELP...Any info about taking my test is GREATLY appreciated.
Hobtronics,

You will have to go to your MVD-DMV and get your eyesight checked and take the written test. If you pass the written test you will get a permit to operate a MC but there will be restrictions on where and when you can ride. After you get comfortable on the bike (you really should take the MSF course and get your license that way) you will be able to take the skills test and get your endorsement. If you are under 18, you need to need to maintain a motorcycle instruction permit for a minimum of 12 months before attempting the upgrade. I included some info from the Colorado Department of Transportation below.

http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/motorcycle-license.php

To ride a motorcycle on the scenic roads of Colorado, or to challenge your sport bike skills on the steep, winding mountain passes, you need to obtain a motorcycle "M" endorsement on your current basic license. No "motorcycle only" licenses are issued.

There are essentially a couple of ways to accomplish this task.

The first is most likely the more inexpensive, but may not give you the necessary skills to take your riding to the highest levels of safety. It simply involves taking the written test at a local driver license office and then completing an on-bike skills test either at the same office (if it is a full-service facility) or through an accredited third-party company.

The second involves signing up for Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) training course. These programs are also offered by third-party instructors teaching a state-created and sanctioned curriculum.

The Basic Rider Course is generally a 15-hour program that covers all facets of the motorcycle for the beginning rider. It includes both the written and the skills tests.

Upon completion of this course you can receive an "M" class endorsement. The fees for the course vary with each company and can top $200 in some cases. But that usually means the company provides bikes and equipment for training.

Age Requirements
You need to be at least 16 years old to apply for an endorsement, but it is not entirely that simple. If you are under 18, you need to need to maintain a motorcycle instruction permit for a minimum of 12 months before attempting the upgrade.

If you are between 15 and 16, obtaining a permit requires the completion of a Motorcycle Operators Safety Training (MOST) program, which is offered by numerous private companies that also offer testing. It also requires the direct supervision of a qualified MSF instructor at all time when riding a motorcycle.

The under-18 crowd also needs to have a parent or guardian complete an Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship in order to receive an endorsement.

The Written Test
The written exam is in a multiple-choice format and all of the material covered is gleaned from the Motorcycle Handbook.

The Operator Skills Test
If you are providing the bike for taking the test it must be registered and insured. The skills test is given on a simulated course and measures a series of handling abilities including: a sharp left turn, normal and quick stops, obstacle swerves, and cone weaves.

The motorcycle endorsement adds $2 to the basic driver license fees.

For more information contact the MSF through the Colorado Department of Transportation at (303) 757-9466.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That first bit of information is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you for providing the rest, but I have looked through that quite a few times to try and find the permit rules. Thanks again!

I guess my next question is then, does anyone know the limitations on the permit? Can I ride the bike to the skills test and that sort of stuff?

C

·
0 Posts
Here in AZ you can't operate the MC at night, with a passenger, or on the highway until passing the skill test.
Yes, you can take your bike to the DMV for the skill test. If you go by the MVD-DVM you can pick up a Motorcycle Handbook that will help prepare you for the test and outline all rules and steps to get the "class M endorsement".

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Permit limitations vary from State to State. Check with your DMV. Here in TX there is a "Licensed Oportor (M endorsement) 21 or older in sight" requirement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just took the test today. I'm stoked to have the permit now...even though I am still on the market for a bike. I do have a good prospect on an '81 Honda CX500. We'll see how it turns out. I've been getting really positive feedback as far as buying it on another post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts