On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
It's for running your battery down.
It leaves the parking lights on. :giggle:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to delete it . But I would like to know the purpose for it . I am tring to slim down all these wires . building a " bobber" running down all the wires is a pain and just not sure I need all of them or if I can get things cleaned up . Stuffing them just looks bad , then unstuffing them is worse if / when there is trouble . Not an if it's a when .
Thanks for any insight one may have ,
Arley

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
It is/was for parking on narrow streets at night, so the bike wouldn't get hit. It would leave the tail light and in some cases running lights of the bike on so it could be seen.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Turn the key to that position when it is dark. Walk around the back and look at the tail light.
Check your local laws for items required on your bike. Daytime running lights do make you more visible, but may not be required. Same with turn signals. All the bike needs to run is ignition. Lights at night, and charging if you want it to stay running. Or you could charge the battery at home between every use. I would make the ignition wyre heavy and red. A kill switch could replace the key switch. Does it have a kick starter. If yes you can do away with the starter motor. If no you need to park on a hill.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
It would leave the tail light and in some cases running lights of the bike on so it could be seen.
Yep, just like George said, for running the battery down.

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
If it only runs the tail lamp, replacing that bulb with a LED will increase battery life from hours to days. If it also turns lights on up front, it gets more complicated.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I got the idea somewhere that that parking light requirement is leftover from pre-streetlight days, when some municipalities would require vehicles left parked on their streets overnight to display lights overnight.

On my Royal Enfield, parking position lights a pair of 4w lights in the headlight casque, Indian riders call these the "tiger's eyes", along with the taillight.

Talking about running down a battery, I HATE the manufacturer's practice of turning the headlight on with the ignition. If my battery is in questionable condition, I can still kick start my machine, provided the ECU sees more than about 10volts. I don't need the headlight dragging the battery voltage down until I'm ready to ride. Luckily my Royal Enfield is very easily modified to a more rational design where the factory installed headlight switch actually works, by removing the so called "North American jumper". Of course you fellows with electric start only can't benefit, and are stuck until you either get a jump, a charge, or a fresh battery.

There's also the idea of stealth, and there have been occasions where I chose to not display lights for purposes of NOT being seen. You guys with extremely loud pipes can ignore this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks to all who replied > I suspected that it was for park lights but unsure if disconnected . Do not need it . Now I just need to figure out slimming the rest of the wire mess .

·
American Legion Rider
25,887 Posts
I know they are in that format but that's why there is a download PDF option. I've done it for my tractor and once downloaded everything was very clear. I didn't download this one as I have no use for it so I can't say for certain the downloaded file isn't blurry. But you do have a need for it so I'd at least try it if I were in your shoes. Or maybe you have and that's why you say what you do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts