Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting around all day tinkering with my XR150cc and couldn't really find a decent answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sitting here scratching my head on this one. What does chain cleaner add that lube cannot?

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
If you look at the MSD sheet on each product I bet you'll find the cleaner has a degreasing solvent of some kind in it. At least I'd suspect that. If not then I'm not sure why there would be two different products doing the same thing. But I haven't had to deal with a chain since around 1984. But the material safety data sheet is where I'd look to determine which to use and why.

Reactions: Porky

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
You really need to use the chain cleaner, because of the degreaser, which penetrates and washes out the old lube, taking road debris with it. Chain lube alone doesn't do this trick very well, so you're just adding fresh lube to old, dirty lube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I think lube I think anything oil-based that will keep your chain running smoothly. When I think grease I'm thinking thick and something I'd put on before leaving a bike to sit for a while. Grease will likely pick up debris. Wax is nice if your chain is already clean, it creates a nice little seal around the chain (until you burn it off).

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Part of the problem is the continuous chain. Used to be we would take the joining link off, to remove the chain. Then clean it and put it back on. Now you need to clean it in place as Wintr says above. The fortnine video is well worth watching. Go to their youtube link. UK

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,166 Posts
Part of the problem is the continuous chain. Used to be we would take the joining link off, to remove the chain. Then clean it and put it back on. Now you need to clean it in place as Wintr says above. The fortnine video is well worth watching. Go to their youtube link. UK
+1

·
Ace Tuner
2,372 Posts
I "clean" my chain (about once in its life) by drenching it with the thinnest, drippiest M/C chain lube I can find, then immediately wipe it down with newspaper.
Makes a big mess.
After a few miles I'll lube it with PJ1 Blue label and be good for ~ 400 miles.
A dirt bike would be different. I'd get to use one of those aerosol cans of chain cleaner I've had on the shelf for years.

S F

·
Registered
SYM Fiddle II, 150cc
12 Posts
Go to fortnine.ca and look for a video comparison of chain lube products. I use gear oil with some STP added, and put it on with a tooth brush. I save money, and it lasts longer.
UK
Was about to say the same, that guy makes extremely useful and honest videos! they also have a great channel on youtube because their website is sometimes not available if you're not in Canada

1 - 13 of 13 Posts