Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know what other people think about the 600s. Also looks are a big factor for me. I personally like the 2006 and up yamaha r6. And the 2008 and up zx6r. But since those aren't very old they still have a descent price tag on them. But I also like the older 2004 or 05 Honda cbr 600s. So what do yall think?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
That's kind of like asking "What's the best color?"

All of the big four companies make a great 600 cc race replica. There is a lot of competition in that market, keeping the quality high.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's kind of like asking "What's the best color?"
You mean the answer isn't 42?!?!?!

:)

All of the big four companies make a great 600 cc race replica. There is a lot of competition in that market, keeping the quality high.
What are the big four? Harley, Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha?

That'd be a more interesting question for me being a beginning returning rider: What are the most popular 600cc series in each of the major companies and/or categories?

(For categories, I was thinking along the lines of Sports/Cruisers/Street/Off-road...or would Touring be a different category from Cruisers? Then again, is there such thing as a 600cc series bike for touring/cruising? Being that 600 cc range is more a beginner bike, I would think that it might not be the most suitable size for long distance driving/riding, but who am I to know, still very much a no0b here! LOL)

All that said, a Google search of "best 600c bike got me here pretty quickly:

http://motorcycles.findthebest.com/d/s/600cc

Perhaps that may help the OP...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank yall alot. And by the way I'm only 16 and I have only have had a bike for about a month when I was like 10. So I am definitely a beginner and I know everyone says that 600s are way to powerful for a beginner I don't agree with that. People say that you need to respect the power and I know my self better than anybody and I know that I am not stupid enough to go crazy on a 600.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The big four are Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha. Harley doesn't make a 600 cc sport bike.

There are some other companies who make nearly compatible race replicas, but those aren't as common.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thank yall alot. And by the way I'm only 16 and I have only have had a bike for about a month when I was like 10. So I am definitely a beginner and I know everyone says that 600s are way to powerful for a beginner I don't agree with that. People say that you need to respect the power and I know my self better than anybody and I know that I am not stupid enough to go crazy on a 600.
I'm pretty sure every 16 year old says the same thing :wink:

·
Registered
116 Posts
In changing the filtered results from that website, it looks like your options in the Sport category are (year and specific models excluded):

Kawasaki Ninja
Honda CBR600
Suzuki GSX600

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
You are not a special and unique snowflake.

Save the 600cc sportbike for later, and get a bike designed for beginners. Yes, manufacturers actually designed a few bikes with you in mind.

No, the Ninja ZX6r , CBR600 RR, GSXR600, and R6 are not designed with you in mind.

No, respecting the power will not save you. There are more ways these bikes are bad for beginners than just the acceleration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I understand that but where I live I would be riding around at 70+ mph and I've heard that it's not good to ride a 250 at 70+ for a longer period of time. So what would be a good bike

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The 250/300 cc ninja and the Cbr 250 will run 70 all day with no problems.

There are also several models available such as the 500 or 650 ninja, or the Suzuki sv650 that make a better motorcycle to learn on than a full race replica.

As stated above, there is a lot more involved with riding a motorcycle than "respecting the power". Things can end badly if a riders skills are not matched to the skill required to safely operate the machine. The only way to develop proper riding skills is practice. No one is born with them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am looking at the V Star Custom 650 fwiw...heard from several sources that is a good size/make for a beginning rider of my frame...(6'1", 215lbs)

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Yeah I understand that but where I live I would be riding around at 70+ mph and I've heard that it's not good to ride a 250 at 70+ for a longer period of time. So what would be a good bike
Whoever told you that doesn't know much about Ninja 250s.

I rode mine for almost a year, 140miles a day, 5 days a week, and the only time I was BELOW 70mph was when I was stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
And by the way I'm only 16 and I have only have had a bike for about a month when I was like 10. So I am definitely a beginner and I know everyone says that 600s are way to powerful for a beginner I don't agree with that.
Since you are talking about the 600s in sport bikes, I have to agree pretty much with what has been said already. Take your pick. You won't be able to outride the capability of any of them. You likely will never be able to exceed the bikes capabilities if ridden correctly. You don't even need one as new as you are talking. My current ride is a mint but modded 2003 CBR600RR, which is the first year the RR came out. I love eating newer bikes with lesser riders on 1000's for breakfast.

As for not agreeing that a 600 is too much, I have to disagree. CAN you learn on one? Yup. Is it smart? Nope. If one doesn't think that 117HP and 0-60 in 2.8 seconds isn't too much for a new rider then I don't know what too much would be. Its like your first car being a Ferrari. Actually, its worse because my 600 would chew most Ferraris a new one. But you will do what you will do. Just be conscious that its not only the power but the fact that they are extremely unforgiving when it comes to mistakes. They are twitchy as all get out compared to all other bikes.

That being said, the newer (2007+) CBR600RR's are the most comfortable all out supersports in the 600 class. However, if you are going for a sportbike, I would recommend the Honda F4I over all of them. Extremely fast, reliable, comfortable compared to the RR and they run on the track with ease. They are an extremely great blend of supersport with a bit of comfort.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
To add to that; imagine a brand new driving 16 yr old boy being given to keys to a supercar. Take your pick. Porsche CGT, Koeneggsigg, Enzo, etc.

Now disconnect the ABS module for his brakes, and put a little air in the lines.

That is what it is like for a newb to own super sport 600cc as a first bike.
You have all that power at just the twist of your wrist, but you haven't learned how to stop it yet, and you CAN'T. You'll never be able to out brake a car where the driver only has to stomp on the pedal.

You'll either over grab the front brake and lock it up, which will immediately put you and the bike sliding on the pavement, or you'll not squeeze it even close to max braking, using maybe 50-70% of its capabilities...thereby greatly increasing your stopping distance.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Try craigslist. Buy used for your first bike.

I don't think they make the F4i anymore. If you're captain money bags, and insist on buying new, go with a Honda CBR 500. I have read rave reviews on that bike.

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
600cc bike

Every 16 year old says the same thing.
Every 56 year old that has been riding since they were 16 says something else.
The 600cc bikes are high reving to get the 120 plus horsepower that they make. They all handle well. But a high reving engine is not a good choice for around town riding IMO.
The twin cylinder SV650 Suzuki is an easier bike to ride, and cheaper.
If you counter with the fact that they are not as fast on the top end, then I doubt the accuracy of your statement. The highways are full of solid objects. There is sooooooooo much to learn about everything, things you have not even thought of. I will be pleased to provide examples.
Get a 250 dirt bike and practice in the dirt.

Unkle Crusty

1 - 20 of 33 Posts