Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you folks think is a REASONABLE mark-up on a scooter.

RideNow Powersports in Peoria listed a Yamaha S-Max scooter on the Internet for $2699.

http://www.ridenowpeoria.com/defaul...p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&sq=smax&fr=xNewInventory

When I went to actually buy it, they wanted $3800 including "tax, title, dealer prep, delivery charge, documentation fees, etc."

I offered them $3400 and they rejected the offer.

Here's how they claimed to break it down

$300 delivery fees.
$150 assembly fee
$469 "documentation, license & reg"
$218 actual sales tax.

I pinned the salesman down who admitted "$300 was their documentation fee and the actual license and reg was $169.

So what do you think? Are these add-on's excessive?

Would you pay $750 in "delivery, assembly & documentation" on a $2700 bike?

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
I'd offer to meet them half way. But it really depends on how bad or how soon you want/need it. Go back just before or after Christmas and I bet they will be willing to deal more. First of the year works too.

·
On The Road Again!
3,849 Posts
The sales tax is legitimate. The rest is a bunch of bull. And I'd take care of my own "documentation", which I assume means standing in line at the motor vehicle office to get your title and plates.
Delivery charge? Yeah, right. I don't pay a delivery charge on anything else I buy, especially if I go to the store to get it myself.
Set up? That's their responsibility, to make sure the scooter is safe to use when you buy it.
Not me, brother. If they advertised it for $2699, I expect to get for that price!

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
Cost.

In that type of business the only thing you know for sure is the landed cost of an item. That is usually the price the dealer pays to the wholesaler, and the delivery cost. The percent of mark up may be around 20% depending on the dealer. The assembly cost is often kept separate because it is a different department that does it. If other costs are kept separate, and not added to the landed cost, then they avoid having a mark up added.

It does seem as if some of these other fees such as documentation have been padded. Unless it is a lot more complicated than the days when I did it, then there is really not much cost at all.

A 10% mark up may be applied to a large ticket item, that is not in stock and is ordered. On these goods the dealer has not outlaid an $$.
Or if it is a cheaper item that has a lot of turnover.

There are many variables. But let us remember something important.
There are three occurrences when it is permissible to tell a lie.
Do you know what they are?

Unkle Crusty*

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Offer them $2699, which is listed as the selling price. If they are adding things to that, it is not really the selling price, it is the selling price plus anything else they can squeeze out of you. False advertising is illegal, and that is what they are doing. There is no asterisk on the price, but the fine print at the bottom of the page does say "Advertised pricing excludes applicable taxes title and licensing, dealer set up, destination, reconditioning and are subject to change without notice. Pricing may exclude any added parts, accessories or installation. Contact dealer for details".

To me, all that add on crap is the cost of them being in business, I won't pay it here, if they insist on charging it, I make them add it to the trade in value. They are making enough to show a profit, don't need to get rich off of a single sale.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

I didn't buy a trailer from them several years ago since the "sale price" of about $1300. went to about $2500. after add-ons. The only possible assembly charge could have been putting on the wheels. Possibly if they weren't on already.

--

·
Registered
809 Posts
The bottom line is: get the 'Out the Door' complete and total price from every dealer you are considering buying from, and compare with that. Usually if a dealer hems and haws and doesn't want to give you their best OTD price, that's means it's too high - and they know it.

I could care less what their SALE price is, or what there add-on fees, etc. are. I really don't care about anything except the bottom OTD price - in terms of costs. Of course I do care about their reputation.

Also bear in mind that there are many factors that go into the out-the-door price, some of which may not immediately leap to mind: things like dealer location, which can effect their overhead costs, and volume of sales - the more they are selling, the better price they get, generally speaking.

I know of one dealer that can't compete on price, just because they invested in a large and expensive building in an expensive area - they paid a LOT of money for the land and they have high property taxes, in addition to all the money they sunk into their large and fancy showroom, warehouse and shop.

There are other dealers in my area that are small and have very low overhead in low rent districts, but they can't compete on price because they don't turn enough volume.

Personally I've gotten the best price at dealers who do large volume in locations with low overhead. YMMV

·
8,621 Posts
What rje58 said:thumbsup:

The online Cycle trader sight is a great place to shop or at least to get pricing ideas but one has to use their "little grey cells," to separate the wheat from the chaff;)

If the listed price is much lower than the others, then beware of the add-ons, that may already be included in the higher priced units.

I call the dealers and always ask the "Out the door" price.

I have actually seen much lower costs on some bikes, with a few dealers, who actually sell at the listed price, especially to out of State purchasers, who pay registration fees etc to their own States.

I have an on line inquiry going on right now, for the actual cost, out the door, with cash, for a new Can-Am Spyder, in Texas. Once they respond, I'll post their WEB price versus their probably grossly inflated out the door price---just for fun:coffeescreen:

Wade, here is the FINE PRINT at the bottom of their Web page:

"Advertised pricing excludes applicable taxes title and licensing, dealer set up, destination, reconditioning and are subject to change without notice. Pricing may exclude any added parts, accessories or installation. Contact dealer for details."

Sam:p

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
This is such an easy question. You must pay sales tax and registration fees, the state will require that. Any other charges had better be included in the advertised price or I will be walking away.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What is a REASONABLE minimum wage?

Should competition, location, merit, supply and demand be allowable factors?

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
What do you folks think is a REASONABLE mark-up on a scooter.

RideNow Powersports in Peoria listed a Yamaha S-Max scooter on the Internet for $2699.

http://www.ridenowpeoria.com/defaul...p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&sq=smax&fr=xNewInventory

When I went to actually buy it, they wanted $3800 including "tax, title, dealer prep, delivery charge, documentation fees, etc."

I offered them $3400 and they rejected the offer.

Here's how they claimed to break it down

$300 delivery fees.
$150 assembly fee
$469 "documentation, license & reg"
$218 actual sales tax.

I pinned the salesman down who admitted "$300 was their documentation fee and the actual license and reg was $169.

So what do you think? Are these add-on's excessive?

Would you pay $750 in "delivery, assembly & documentation" on a $2700 bike?

I would have offered 3,200.00 if really wanted the Bike, they refuse fine I'll go elsewhere .. RideNow is famous all over the USA for their Jacked Up Nonsense Prices .. They got me on the Indian Scout as it was so much in demand but won't ever happen again ..

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Well $3,218 Gater.:D

·
8,621 Posts
I got a call back from the salesman at the dealer where online, I was looking at a new Can-Am Spyder. I had inquired about the "Out the door price???" I was told that $1,000 was added to the listed price. I haven't ascertained if the online price plus the $1,000 is more or less than other deals out there.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
Why would merit have anything to do with minimum wage?
--

If we want to keep the unions viable and happy, we must raise the minimum wage so workers have more money available to pay the union dues. That certainly has merit. Ask any union. They will tell you that. :p

--

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
And what's wrong with that given that most factory workers are doing 2, 3 or 4 times what they used to do as people retire and replacements are not added?

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
And what's wrong with that given that most factory workers are doing 2, 3 or 4 times what they used to do as people retire and replacements are not added?
--

Mostly what's wrong is that the benevolent government has provided us with excessive regulations that have strangled profit availability for corporations.

--

1 - 20 of 38 Posts