Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is for protecting kidneys. I suppose it would be safe to say there was some blood in the upper regions of my upper stomach and was wondering if I should get one of those kidney protectors. on the other hand maybe I should quit drinking coffee :coffee:

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I'd recommend drinking cranberry juice a few times a day for a while. see if that helps. Otherwise, consult a doctor. In fact, you might go ahead and do that, anyway.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a doc yesterday and he said if it gets worse to see him again maybe I will see a different doctor next time. I'll see if I can find some cranberry juice, thanks.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Kidneys are susceptible to damage from vibration, motorbiking can cause kidney damage.

A kidney protector is some sort of corset which constrains your organs and reduces vibration, not infallible but helpful.

Incidentally, in karate there is a blow which is delivered to the kidneys and this is delivered with the fingers spread so that the kidney is hit with a rapid number of strikes which does more damage. Same as riding a big cylinder, single banger.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Belt

When you first ride moto cross, your lower back area can get rather sore. A kidney belt helps heaps. After you have riden the bumpies for a while, some can ride without the kidney belt. It depends on your muscle tone. Some folks find a kidney belt helps for highway riding. Just like a ( variety of belts ) helps for lifting.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Incidentally, in karate there is a blow which is delivered to the kidneys and this is delivered with the fingers spread so that the kidney is hit with a rapid number of strikes which does more damage. Same as riding a big cylinder, single banger.
I bet getting punched in the kidneys hurts more than riding a single cylinder.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Check and compare.

I bet getting punched in the kidneys hurts more than riding a single cylinder.
I have riden a BSA Victor, and kicked in the general area of the kidneys. I have riden in motocross races.
The most dangerous was the front suspension on the BSA. It would break your thumbs off. I have not been pounded by a karate dude. But I have been punched by a very large Maori.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I saw a doc yesterday and he said if it gets worse to see him again maybe I will see a different doctor next time. I'll see if I can find some cranberry juice, thanks.
I personally recommend Ocean Spray. That's my brand. You can get it in several different flavors, like Cran-Apple, Cran-Grape, Cran-Mango, and my personal favorite, Cran-Cherry. Doesn't get old, that way.

I started drinking cranberry juice regularly, a few years ago, when I managed to get a kidney stone. That sucks. Very much bad. Doc's advice was to drink cranberry juice, because it helps to break down those deposits, making kidney stones much smaller ( and easier to pass ), or even prevent them from forming, in the first place. Plus, I just kinda like the stuff. It's really good, and healthier than soda.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
My wife, after having to have 2 surgeries to remove stones, finally started drinking cranberry regularly. Hasn't had another in 15 years and counting. I accuse her of adding vodka to it though.:D

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Will cheap red wine work as well as cranberry juice?
I don't really think so because we used to drink box wine when my wife got her first stone. I actually suggested she drink more wine. You know, side benefits. She got a second stone about 5 years later. Actually thought it might be working. No, there's something about cranberries that's important. She's drinking Cranapple now and I'm betting she ends up with another stone just sure as shootin. I hate saying I told you so.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Will cheap red wine work as well as cranberry juice?
I don't imagine so ( but then, I don't really know ). But, just the same, drinking a single serving of alcohol per day IS INDEED quite healthy. It's good for the ticker, to be precise. Helps ward off a number of cardiac diseases.

The key, however, is in moderation. Because while the 1 or maybe 2 servings of alcohol ( red wine being a high recommendation from medical experts, due to its added antioxidants not present in beer, whiskey, vodka, or whatever else ), excessive intake ( typically more than 2, but general rule of thumb is that if you get "tipsy", you're past that point ), is bad for your liver. So you have to kinda balance it out.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Ah heck. Just go past tipsy to passed out. You won't harm anyone at least.:D

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a bit of extra holiday cranberries earlier, see how it works later on I guess.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I know it is for protecting kidneys. I suppose it would be safe to say there was some blood in the upper regions of my upper stomach and was wondering if I should get one of those kidney protectors. on the other hand maybe I should quit drinking coffee :coffee:
Blood in the upper regions of the stomach would have absolutely nothing to do with kidneys... two separate systems. Blood in your urine, on the other hand, could be kidney problems.

I had two bouts of kidney stones, one so bad I almost passed out from the pain while driving. Since I started drinking cranberry juice (and Kaptain K is right... Ocean Spray is really the best tasting) and taking a cranberry supplement I have had no stones.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts