Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, came across a 1972 Honda 350 Scrambler that does not run. Everything is there and it has been repainted at some point. Gas tank is rusty inside. Otherwise pretty good shape for being outside. Has a title. What would something like this be worth? Fork year says 11/71. Thanks.

·
American Legion Rider
18,623 Posts
From $500 to near $2,000 depending on condition. Obviously the later would be showroom quality. Doubt you'll see that though. I say $800 to $1,000 for average maybe? Also depends on your own location.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Nothing is EVER worth more than you are willing to pay for it.

I know that's a cliche, but it's true.

I can see Hog's point, and his pricing isn't off track either. In the end, if you don't have the time (realistically) or the money you can invest without impact to your own budget needs, then it's not worth even the $500.00.

Ask yourself the reason for the buy. Is it for the antiquity of the bike? Is it a fascination for 350cc bikes? What's driving the interest? Suppose you just want to ride, and that's what's motivating you. You might be better off finding a bike that's running, and in no need of fixing up.

-Soupy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nothing is EVER worth more than you are willing to pay for it. . . .
I would make a slight change to that. Nothing is EVER worth more than what PEOPLE are willing to pay. :biggrin:

It is based on demand. But demand for your 1972 scrambler can be influenced by a similar 1973 or 1971, or a Kawasaki instead, etc. Those are substitute products, or similar products. So it isn't necessarily based upon a limited supply, unless it is an unusual bike. It's all about demand.

If you look around at ads for similar bikes then you might get a ballpark number on Craigslist, but remember those are asking prices, not necessarily what people actually paid.

Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The frame says 11/71. So is it a 71 or 72? I was only assuming 72 because sometimes November made models are for the following year. Would this change the value for the better?

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
If it isn't running, it is a parts bike and worth whatever you can get out of it. Chances are it is rusted, the exhaust is no good, and 40+ years of existence have taken a toll on it. While I would love to have one, I won't buy one that doesn't run before I had one that did. I don't have the money or patience to tear it down only to find it isn't repairable.

I know there are some people here that are more than competent enough take on the challenge, so to them it would possibly be worth more to them than it is to me.

·
American Legion Rider
18,623 Posts
Or like me. I wouldn't give you $1 for it. It's strictly worth what you can get or what you are willing to give. I have enough "junk".:)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Is that the same bike you posted for sale here last year? I guess that confuses me about why you are asking about the worth.....

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
The frame says 11/71. So is it a 71 or 72? I was only assuming 72 because sometimes November made models are for the following year. Would this change the value for the better?
What are the first 3 digits after the dash in the frame number?

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Year

Back then, bike made from about September on, could be for the next year.

If the bike is not running, and has not run for a while, it is a liability, not an asset. Unless you can find someone that has to have it.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
886 Posts
Cena, what is your reason for asking about the value? Do you intend to sell as is or fix it up to sell it? Either way you will probably spend more than it is worth unless it just needs to be cleaned up and some fresh gas to get started. If the intent is to keep it to ride then you have to ask is it worth the cost to fix whatever it needs as opposed to buying something else that already is in running condition.

·
Vintage Rider
376 Posts
Without a picture is all speculative on our part. I'll say 300 dollars cause all I'm sure of is you have a title. But if it's not "clean" and in your name that could even change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts