Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen it in my town yesterday, saw it a few months ago and still can't figure out what it is. Has to have a motor in it, unless he has alot of hampsters running around in there...........

Attachments

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
HPV - Human Powered Vehicle. There's some around here but they're a little longer looking and have enclosed cockpits so you can't actually see the driver.

·
Premium Member
6,700 Posts
Bike

A pedal tricycle.
We have many on the Island, but not with the body work. Built locally by George. Some are leaners, and some have a drive engine in the center of the single wheel.
George built the fastest bicycle. 83 mph record lasted for many years, until broken recently by a well financed university teams.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
18,935 Posts
When will people learn, if you want to be taken seriously in alternate transportation, you need to not look like a banana or egg. That's just wrong! But when the rest of us are watching grass grow up around our wheels because we have no fuel, those things will look good. I ain't riding around in no dang banana though. I'll walk first and I only have one good leg.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It looks like a variant of the decaliner. There are a few that have an entire enclosed cockpit and body built around a motorcycle chassis. If anyone watches Storage Wars on TV, there's a character that rides one.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Looks like a lot of weight to add to a bicycle or tricycle. Weather protection is the only benefit I see.
8.6 pounds is what a competent kevlar/carbon fairing weighs on a race HPV.

Benefit: Tremendously reduced aerodynamic drag, if the fairing is designed correctly.

Record for HPV stood at 69.x mph for several years. I helped host time trials near the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado where it was set. (Alamosa)

That's with an olympic-class cyclist inside, like Sam Wittingham.

Just FINDING a deserted, 2+ mile long, dead straight, dead flat piece of high altitude road for such trials is a challenge. I recently located another suitable venue -- an abandoned access road paralleling I40 west of Albq.

Google "Gold Rush HPV" for more details, good articles.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
If it hits a curb things will get scrambled.
Same could be said about just about any bicycle.

In one of these, however, you all avoid road rash as the fairing slides down the tarmac.

Rear vis is the REAL problem. And stopping. At Alamosa we had "catchers"

Retractable landing gear, preferably auto-retract/engage is what makes something like this practical for daily commutes in the bike lane.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
The biggest issue I see is visibility. Despite being a bright color, that thing has a pretty low profile. It seems like it would be difficult not only to BE seen, but to see over things on crowded streets.

That being said, I'm for anything that saves petrol since it makes it cheaper for me to drive my Jeep;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts