Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of back ground. What I thought I needed was a more modern bike to replace the XS400. I floated the Duke 390 or a Ninja 400 idea. Then I got Deep Purple running much better, so scratch that plan. What I am missing, is a dirt bike. And a bike light even to mount on some kind of bracket on the camper trailer, but big enough to carry too seniors to the closest or raunchiest pub. Sooooooooooooo, an early eighties TT250 Yamaha, or an XR250 Honda. Old enough for collector plates. I need to do a bit of research about being street legal. I am also looking at a 6 X 10 cargo trailer that I can use as a camper. The complete Boler type camper trailers are way to much $$. Stay tuned. Meanwhile Bluzu the SV1000S is going to the bike shop tomorrow to be sold. The Triumph Trophy 900 replaces him.

UK

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Darn. Another brilliant post by myself, but not generating a response. I should have added; Shirley is away. Thinking the dirt bikes are way too much $$. But I can justify the cargo trailer. I delivered Bluzu today. Came home as a footsy on the ferry. Got four rides in quick succession to get me home.

UK

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Hi UK, I do not know anything about the bike you listed. Just thought I would give you at least one response 😉

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Paula.
motorcyclespecifications.com has info on many many bikes. I go there all the time to find out weight, horsepower, and reviews.

UK

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get an old TW! Or a new one! And then post some pics that I can drool over until next year. 😃 Not sure that'll fit the two up bill however.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Its a good post, I just don't think there have been many people on here this weekend. I've been thinking about doing something similar, but maybe a small 16 or 17' toy hauler trailer with a rear ramp door like pictured below. I thought about it last year, but I put the idea aside because I knew I had to have a new roof for house (there went the money). So lately I've started looking again and I've been keeping my eye out for a used one, but they sell quickly. New ones are way too expensive and they depreciate fast. Maybe one from someone who is ready to upgrade to a larger unit. Deals on bikes here are much easier to find than deals on toy haulers. As for the bike, I have the Kawasaki X-300 for trail use.

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Oh, now I get it. The cats away. That's always a good time to get things. But do you have something agains Suzuki? I don't know if they had one vintage enough for you or not but the DRZ400 I had was easily converted to both street and dirt. What I found though after putting tires on it that was supposed to be good for both was it sucked at both after. Either street or dirt but not both. I like Zebra's idea of a Toy Hauler rather than some kind of bracketing system. I'd like one for the two toys we have but I can't afford one large enough for 2 huge machines. Would even be better if I could fined one that I could haul 3 huge machines so my buddy and his wife could go with us at times. Oh well, such is life. But have fun looking around anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll leave this here for the DIYer.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,646 Posts
I'm still trying to get over you getting rid of Bluzu, can't think about the rest of your announcement

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where to start. A cargo van would have many uses. I have enough camping gear to make it a camping trailer. My cage is a Dodge Caravan, 3.3 V6. I am thinking 2500 pounds max, and I should have brakes on the trailer.
Bluzu will cover a big chunk of the cost. I road him yesterday. Never got past third gear. He likes the wide open mountain highways. But for that, the Triumph is a better more comfortable bike, and I can ride two up. Bluzu cost me more $$ to insure for just a few summer months, and that is when we are usually away in the boat. AND, Bluzu has the least smooth engine of all the bikes. He is in the bike shop waiting for some young crazy kid with money.

The TW 200 has 16 horsepower, so a bit short. However I do not race cross country any more. My CanAm had about 37 hp. The seat height is 31 inches. The other bikes are closer to 36 inches, and that is too high for me. The TW weighs about 30 pounds more than some others, but at 270 it is 100 pounds lighter than Deep Purple. Back when I used my belch mobile and large trailer, I could care less what stuff weighed. But now I am weight conscious. I will look for a clean reasonably priced TW200.

UK

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I bought a cargo trailer, 6 X 10 inside. Side door forward, two rear doors open all of the back. I can use it to store my building tools, pick up building supplies, transport bikes, and modify it to be a camping van. In the camper mode, I could put the trail 90 across the front sitting on the hitch. I will add brakes. I should be able to keep the weight around 2500 pounds. Manual says 3500 pounds for a class A?? hitch. I do not want to go that heavy, and even though the van cage has four discs I will still add brakes.

UK

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very nice! (y) you'll have to share some pics once you get it rigged up. May do something similar one day. I'd like to get a small camper but most of them are WAY too expensive new and buying a used one is like buying a used fiberglass boat.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,646 Posts
I would be very interested in how you do that. All the camper gear will have to be removable correct?

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mostly, yes. The frame is 1 inch square steel tube. Easy to tap for 3/16 or 1/4 bolts. The floor is decent 1/2 ply. Might be 5/8. The sink and counter can have tabs, and be screwed in place. I have a portable 12 volt fridge. I have a tank for the fresh water, and a tank for the waste liquid. They can sit on the floor with a 1 X 1 batten around the base. I will insulate it, and add solar panels to the roof. I think it will be just ducky. Can be the guest house for visitors. Hopefully the new cottage will be mostly built for next winter. I am not starting until the rain eases.

UK

·
Registered
72 Posts
  1. Nice thing is depending on the setup you go with you can run a 110 inverter. Choose your cells wisely or park accordingly.

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We will run on 12 volts, and use an inverter to charge the phones, and run the computer for the movies. Same set up as on the boat. the beer fridge for the boat is portable. So is the cooker that runs on methyl hydrate. I have a small propane heater, a methyl hydrate heater, and a diesel heater. The battery in the trailer can be charged by solar panels, or the alternator in the van cage.

UK

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like you've got a good plan 👍 keep us updated !! You should add some hooks for some hammocks!

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the floor plan laid out. Will work on it between everything else. Maybe draw a plan and post later. Mechanic friend says do not overwork the gearbox ( 4 speed auto ) in my Dodge. Sent an email to a guy with a TW200 for sale. No reply. Made the executive decision to use Bluzu proceeds / $$ for trailer bits.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
I guess you are used to sleeping in tight quarters but my bed is bigger I bet. And you are going to have a galley as well? You don’t plan on having any visitors either do ya. hahaha. I do hope it works for you UK. I’m just afraid you might be expecting more out of your space than can be accommodated. You know, eyes bigger than stomach kind of thing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts