Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Bill, It was bought new by a rancher, he worked cattle with it till 90s went to 4 wheeler. Had stator and pickup coil rewound and replaced cdi , ret/reg and coil with Rex Speed shop parts. To pass safety inspection for road use it's using a Chinese scooter 6v taillight and horn with a feeder battery that work separate from the ign. System. Not a lot of money invested... unless you count labor hours. Good dependable kickstart only bike don't bring much around Houston.
It was a pleasure to build, so that counts a lot I guess. Wishing for another project right now.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
946 Posts
Charlie ;

I have a 1976 (?) Honda CB400F.......

Dirt cheap, it was running when parked but the engine is stuck from sitting .

It comes with a spare engine and exhaust .

In So. Cal. no title, one owner,in a non title state .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Charlie ;

I have a 1976 (?) Honda CB400F.......

Dirt cheap, it was running when parked but the engine is stuck from sitting .

It comes with a spare engine and exhaust .

In So. Cal. no title, one owner,in a non title state . ain't aa
I had hell doing one with 2 carbs, think I might stick with thumpers. Thanks though 👍

·
Registered
66 Posts
A friend of a friend's lady, an experienced passenger, once hitched a ride with me to a meet we were all going to. I was on my '74 Sportster. Some miles out a wire to the coil rubbed through, touched metal, and shut us down. After some poking with a test light I found what had happened. Pulled the wire out to get at it, wrapped some tape on it, shoved back in, reconnected and pronounced us ready to go. She stood back and said she was amazed. I asked what she meant and she said she had never seen anyone have such an issue roadside.
I said "What?! Who have you been riding with?"
She said "Goldwingers."
"Oh, well, that explains it."
"Oh yeah? Harley guy bashing Honda riders, huh?"
"No no no, not at all. This an antique, a little more complex than a hammer. If the exact same thing happened on a new Goldwing I couldn't fix it beside the road. I doubt a guy from Honda could. You see there are ever so many more parts and complexity buried within the covering bodywork whereas all mine is minimal and basically hanging out where you can see and get at it."
She allowed as how she could see what I meant and off we went.

I actually stopped to try and help a stranded Goldwing once a couple of weeks after that. Nope. He had to wait on a tow truck. But also that was the only stranded Goldwing I've ever personally seen in some 50-odd years of riding.

One thing about older machines is they seem more prone to having "personalities". Love or hate that. years ago I got into a discussion once about kickstarting styles with a guy riding a Sportster one year than mine. At some point we gave up and swapped bikes. Neither responded well to our kicking techniques but when we swapped back, both started as normal. If I hadn't of done it myself I still probably wouldn't have believed that was even possible.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I can dig the Harley story ~ I rode a '37EL KnuckleHead and a '65 FL PanHead everywhere and they were very reliable bikes .

One of my elderly friends bought an early one owner dealer maintained Gold Wing 1200, we were out far from home when the splined drive shaft coupling broke in half, it tured out the dear had never bothered to clean and grease it like they'd been faithfully charging the original owner for...

I agree ~ older machines are simple and usually easy to diagnose on the road side, modern vehicles, who the hell knows what goes on inside them ? .

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
946 Posts
I guess it depends on what the part is

I too hate it when Chinese quality control is me opening the package and saying "this is junk" .

·
Registered
19 Posts
That already happened 25 years ago.
Yep...As an option.
It may be something that is necessary in the future.
A quote from the article...

But with the Euro5 emissions regulations on the horizon and manufacturers having to find innovative new ways to make their engines cleaner, while retaining their performance, it won’t be a surprise to see more bikes equipped with VVT in coming years.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,191 Posts
Maybe the answer is to buy something like a new Royal Enfield 350. Simple single cylinder but with modern aspects such as ABS, disc brakes, etc. I'm very tempted to do just that but I've been telling my wife that we need to be more careful with our spending with inflation hurting us on our fixed income. Maybe trading in my scooter and having a small monthly payment that she never even notices!

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
124 Posts
Maybe the answer is to buy something like a new Royal Enfield 350. Simple single cylinder but with modern aspects such as ABS, disc brakes, etc. I'm very tempted to do just that but I've been telling my wife that we need to be more careful with our spending with inflation hurting us on our fixed income. Maybe trading in my scooter and having a small monthly payment that she never even notices!
I've looked at one as well, but they barely have enough power to run American freeways, and I just don't see myself near full throttle for an hour or so on a weekend run. I've been hoping RE will answer the need for bigger engines in the future!

·
Zip
3,125 Posts
Have you seen the RE INT650? 47 peak HP, but much of the torque is in the low end and it has a 6-speed transmission, so it ought to be good for the highway. My Suzuki GS550 had similar specs and I could ride it 70mph all day.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
124 Posts
Have you seen the RE INT650? 47 peak HP, but much of the torque is in the low end and it has a 6-speed transmission, so it ought to be good for the highway. My Suzuki GS550 had similar specs and I could ride it 70mph all day.
I have, and I seriously considered one, but the local RE dealer insulted me with a laughable trade offer, so I insisted they refund my deposit and I walked out.

I almost bought one, but the dealer sucked. I went accross town and the Kawasaki dealer treated me fairly, and thats all I was looking for.

I love my Z650RS, but I almost had an Intercepter. Maybe next year....But next time I'm selling my bike and going in with cash.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like the new 500sl
I've looked at one as well, but they barely have enough power to run American freeways, and I just don't see myself near full throttle for an hour or so on a weekend run. I've been hoping RE will answer the need for bigger engines in the future!
I sure like the looks of the new Honda 500sl. My order brother had a new 450sl in 68 or 69. I'm 4 years younger and soon got a 350sl(I think) with the hi pipes. This new 500 brings back some great memories.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I tried to buy a Royal Enfield ("built like a gun !") but new or used, everyone was flaky .

Dealers offered a price they flat refused to honor, used ones were okay buy usually had dead batteries and didn't run, the sellers all expected me to pay a reasonable price for a non running bike....

I loved my 2000 Kawasaki W650 ~ it never gave me one trouble until I was run over riding it .

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried to buy a Royal Enfield ("built like a gun !") but new or used, everyone was flaky .

Dealers offered a price they flat refused to honor, used ones were okay buy usually had dead batteries and didn't run, the sellers all expected me to pay a reasonable price for a non running bike....

I loved my 2000 Kawasaki W650 ~ it never gave me one trouble until I was run over riding it .
I have a 05 en500, my first Kawasaki and with a 6sp and liquid cooling, I like it a lot.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts