Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Zip
2,054 Posts
He said he just let his mind go blank and trusted me when I said it was easy :LOL: it worked
Yeah, if you've practiced the skills you can sometimes just let them take over FTW.

That's been happening to me more and more often lately when I go into a curve a little hotter than normal. Push the bar, stay on the gas, and ride right through it. Instead of my previous response (slow down and really risk running wide).

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
They've been following me. I can make it look easy so they go for it.
Not like they don't have enough motorcycle either, this guy is riding a mint TRS One 250
Good bikes make it incredibly easy.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Yeah, if you've practiced the skills you can sometimes just let them take over FTW.

That's been happening to me more and more often lately when I go into a curve a little hotter than normal. Push the bar, stay on the gas, and ride right through it. Instead of my previous response (slow down and really risk running wide).
My wide glide is capable of more than I am, so I don't worry about if it can hang, I just worry about my mental

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
They've been following me. I can make it look easy so they go for it.
Not like they don't have enough motorcycle either, this guy is riding a mint TRS One 250
Good bikes make it incredibly easy.
Ever hear of TAO TBR7 250

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Heard of it, never seen one up close, that's a China bike, TRS is Spanish.

... I have ridden Tenaci-Wong bikes, that's the closest thing to it.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Getting papers ready to keep on the bikes, put old bag back on the Wide Glide, took off the Signature Series seat and put the solo with pillion back on.......went for a ride, I was feeling it and getting thru them curves faster than ever...........then a pickup with 2ft mirrors comes around in my lane and I slowed it down

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Yesterday went to the big city in my truck.....I had 2 $4 dinners at Steak and Shake, then to the Costco, among other items I got 2 packs of steaks, we cut them in half and eat half each

Got back in time to take dyna for a quick ride, not long enough

Got up early, mowed, gave dyna a spray and wipe bath..........there was lots of bugs covering the front of that bike

Wife decided for us to go on a ride around the lake. Pull out the Ultra, it's already clean. Had 1 idiot, truck and car in front, hit passing lane going uphill, truck pulls over in right lane, car goes about 1mph faster than truck......

Truck sees what idiot is doing and hits the brakes forcing idiot to pass quickly, since he's already passed idiot hits the gas, now doing 75 up the hill, I don't bother with passing, at the top he slows to 60......and that's ok

We catch up to bike doing 55(the speed limit), hit a passing zone and that ScreaminEagle 110ci blew by both before they knew what was happening.....that thing is fast

Got home and I changed helmets and bikes, off on the dyna to hit the curves

3 idiots, first 2 are together, a truck and van come around curve with their wheels in my lane, and stayed there, I flipped off the van, too late for the truck

3rd came over hill, bigass truck with the 2ft mirrors in my lane, leaving me maybe 3ft, I'm brushing the tall grass on the side..........considered following and getting license plate

Pulled off on 649, full of slow curves, if you're in a hurry there is a couple places you can get over 45..... otherwise it's 45 or less, a lot of less. Not many people go out to drive this road, didn't run into any idiots.

With about 3 miles left I saw car in front, thought I was catching up......this guy must live on the road, he was moving and staying on the correct side of the road, last mile I had lost sight of him.

Back home, cut a ribeye in half, threw wife's half on, at appropriate time threw half on......hers come off just slightly pink in the middle and mine med rare......ribeyes avg 1.25lbs each, NY strip a little under a pound each

We had enough left over(even with the puppy getting her share) to have steak and eggs in the morning

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Rode today at the local motorcycle dealers track, used my trials bike first and then the owners Beta 200 go fast dirt bike :cool: I have the coolest motorcycle dealer in the world, he loaned me the bike to ride with a bunch of experts at Calabogie tomorrow, I mean who does that (y) my first ever sponsored ride :LOL:
Woody is awesome.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Yesterday my dealer offered me a dirt bike to take out on a ride with him and others, the others have been wanting to hit the dirt. It's been too long and my bones are old and brittle. We'll get another ride or 2 or 3 before the summer is done.

He also has me come test ride bikes, like the ninja 1400 and others I'd never buy......come to think of it, ninja 1400 is the only real crotch rocket that didn't cause hip cramps

When I wanted a semi crotch rocket, he lined'm all up, SV650 and GSXS750 last, SV I liked gearing better, but then I got on the 4cyl 750 holy ****.......and now

I've got the coolest dealer

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Took dyna out to warm up the oil. Got back home, ran right up on the chock, then saw I had left the straps in the garage, went to garage and grabbed straps.......crash, oh ****, run back over and there it was......it's ok, my wife's car broke it's fall.

The only damage is right in front of the passenger door is pushed in a little. If you're not looking for it you'll probably never notice...... I'll see it every time I go out there

The pad on the sissy bar is what hit, the grips hit the front bumper a little, I've got these neoperine(spelling) wraps on the grips and smudged on the bumper.......wife cleaned it off

The back pad was scratched up, the engine guard scratched, you have to get low to see it, I looked and looked I can't see that it is bent.

Got the bike up and strapped in, changed the engine oil and filter, I had been using Castrol 20w-50 semi-syn, I switched to full synthetic..... I didn't have a problem with the semi I just wanted to if the full syn is better

Decided to change trans oil 5000 miles early, I changed from the Castrol semi-syn to Castrol 85w-140 gear oil, I hear it makes shifting smoother blah blah blah......$2 more per qt, I decided to go ahead because I'm doing the 40k on the Ultra and just bought 2 at the same time......and I'll change trans again in 5k to keep it on 5-10-20

Then I rode to get one of them plastic rivets for the mud flap

If I get chance to get the Ultra out tomorrow I'll do the 3 holes on it.......I don't know what oil has been in it, but it gets pretty hot, so I'd guess it's the crappiest oil to have because that's what they do at the non-harley dealership.......and that's why I change the oil shortly after getting a bike

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,726 Posts
Put 139 miles on the trike to get a breakfast burrito. Was worth the ride but more importantly good mental health day. I've been working way to much on the ranch between rain events and usually while it's been raining.

·
Visionary
4,955 Posts
Put 139 miles on the trike to get a breakfast burrito. Was worth the ride but more importantly good mental health day. I've been working way to much on the ranch between rain events and usually while it's been raining.
Yep. sometimes you just have to put everything aside and get on the bike and go. Are you getting used to the trike yet? That must be such a dramatic change, having the same bike as a 2 wheeler then it comes back a 3.

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,726 Posts
Yep, it’s different. I’m really surprised that the overall ride is smoother. I can feel the independent suspension working back there.

Reactions: mike721

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
808 Posts
Guess Raven and i are the local crappy weather riders these days. Another 100 mile light rain ride in the books. Not complaining. Im happy to ride in all conditions. Even with the bad weather, saw a bunch of weekend warriors on their bikes. Also saw a slingshot in the wild. The slingshot pilot was wearing a motorcycle helmet.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Warmed up the Ultra, proceeded with a 3 hole change, first time for this bike...... I had only looked at owners manual before I went and got stuff, of course owners manual says use this oil blah blah blah........As everyone knows you can use 20w-50 in all 3 holes, however I had decided to use the gear oil for the trans, so I already had that.

Looking at the clymers, for the primary it says DO NOT USE MOTOR OIL.....hmmmmm, maybe I should get gear oil for the primary too.........so back to O'Reilly's.......had to get 2qts because the owners manual says 38oz

My WG I put the oil filter on the way the book says, taking it off I can do by hand......not the Ultra, the book recommends the Harley filter cap......why?......because the Harley filter has more or less flat sides than filter caps sold by anyone else

I tried using a cap slightly too big and using 3 layers of duct tape on the inside...... can't have the tape on the outside because it makes it too thick to fit between filter and engine, now I can fit it on the new filter, but the old filter is so tight.

I used a cap that was a wee bit too small, put the long extension on it, held up to the filter and whacked the extension with a hammer......a hammer comes in handy on all jobs.....that got it on, put the ratchet on and twist twist twist it's off.......now the hammer again to get the cap off

When I drained the oils, trans was clean but a bit thin for gear oil...... I'm guessing 20w-50
Engine oil was dark but can't really tell that it's dirty.....but for the few hundred miles I've ridden it, I'll say it was not changed by the dealership.....which they claim they change the oil on all used vehicles

Primary was nasty looking, there was some brown in it, and it closed like water......not quite

Engine trans plugs were clean, primary had some shavings on it

I got'r done, took it for a little ride, hit a lot rain, out ran it home, put it up, no leaks

I put the gear oil in the trans on wide glide, supposed to shift smoother and quieter........I couldn't really tell a difference

Put gear oil in both trans and primary of the Ultra, makes a difference immediately......and I hit neutral first try

The Ultra is a ScreaminEagle 110ci, I guess is the reason for the differences in oil and capacity

I'm going to go ahead and get the Harley filter cap, and the primary fill funnel, WG and sportsters primary wasn't a problem using regular funnel, Ultra it was tight

I'll probably next primary on WG change to gear oil and see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Gear oil won't work so good for your clutch if you mean thick oil.
Use the same thing you would use in a farm tractor hydraulics and transmission, change it when it gets polluted with water, dirt or clutch material.

I'm using Kubota branded now in my trials bikes clutch and transmissions and it works fine, Ambra worked before that, John Deere sells equally good oil. You need to change it as soon as it gets water in it. You can tell water is in the oil when it makes it milky, opaque and maybe even stink real bad.

... it's an oil that is suited to hydraulics and not multigrade, you don't change it seasonally, I use it in my 17 ton excavator too.
(they don't recommend motor oil because of the added detergents)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Got out on the dyna between rains. I hadn't ridden enough for gear oil to it's thing in the trans. Once I got out of town the smooth quiet shifting became obvious

I have the solo on and setting back so that my knees are under the tank and squeezed in to get them as close to the engine as possible

I had changed from semi-syn to full synthetic to see if it keeps the engine cooler.....not that the semi wasn't good

While sitting at red light was the only time I could feel heat coming off the engine...... we'll see in 90degree heat

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Only way your engine oil will keep your engine cooler is by taking on more heat. Put an oil cooler on it if you are concerned and that will also increase your engines oil capacity. :geek: still not cool enough at low speed, put a small fan on the oil cooler.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts